Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 5,400lb BMW M5

Old 07-19-2024, 07:57 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by silvio1522
Doesn't sound like the kind of car you would want to take to the track. I guess that's why "Joe" pointed out that most potential buyers would never see a track, and rather use it as a daily driver. Must be those typical millionaire types.
You might as well buy a Mercedes. No?
Old 07-19-2024, 09:58 AM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
You might as well buy a Mercedes. No?
Why? This is like asking a Honda fanbois to buy a Toyota. No? Hopefully people buy what they like, for whatever need they deem fit. No one can deny that this is grossly overweight. "Most" buyers really won't give a sheet about the weight or if it wallows going up Goodwood, That's left to the time chasers on these forums.
Old 07-19-2024, 10:09 AM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Why? This is like asking a Honda fanbois to buy a Toyota. No? Hopefully people buy what they like, for whatever need they deem fit. No one can deny that this is grossly overweight. "Most" buyers really won't give a sheet about the weight or if it wallows going up Goodwood, That's left to the time chasers on these forums.
Well to be fair, a Toyota is at least as or more reliable than a Honda ... I think going from BMW to Merc is a step the other way
The following users liked this post:
silvio1522 (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 01:05 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

90+% of buyers buy for image/status reasons and/or some capability the vehicle has, that they will never use or utilize. I, myself, don’t give 2 flying F’s about Nordschleife lap times, nor VIR lightning lap times, etc. But I do buy vehicles for exactly what it was designed for, skipping the fluff and bs I don’t need, to try to achieve some level of cost effectiveness. Sadly, most of the buying public is the polar opposite. Fluff is what they buy. Bull’s cliff notes above “fake” and “soft”. And I do quite love Quick’s astrological graph above LMAO. Reminds of forums 20 years ago when you could bust balls, and not everything had to be politically correct. This new M5 is soulless, fake as a three dollar bill, and a land yacht.