Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 5,400lb BMW M5

Old 07-08-2024, 09:51 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Purpose is to the most useable fun daily possible lol. After having kids, 2 seaters and coupes are much less practical. I wanted a m5 wagon so I could get rid of my suv.

If I wanted just a track car, I’d buy a GT4 or 991 gt3 for the same price.

the point of a high HP sedan or wagon is to have your cake and eat it to. I can enjoy my everyday commute and still put my kids in the back while having something fun and fast.

Weight is something that you can feel everyday on the street. It’s not like it’s a small weight gain either. 1-200 lbs is one thing, but 1000+ lbs is definitely very noticeable. I wouldn’t have canceled if I didn’t know the weight, but I would have canceled after driving it.

The blackwing I just ordered is 1300 lbs lighter than the new m5. Trust me anyone can drive both cars side by side and notice the weight difference.

I do think the car will still sell well tho. Car enthusiasts are not the norm. Most people who are buying an m5, are not enthusiasts. They just want the “best” and want luxury plus speed or they want to show people they have some money.
Agreed. I totally get your situation dictating what you can get, and if you got the means and all things equal, why not get the more performance version of an otherwise appliance vehicle. But like you said, it gets to a point, the weight is just nuts, but like you said the majority of the world aren't enthusiasts. Actually, to specify, informed/educated enthusiasts are rare. There are lots of people who are enthusiastic, interested, vested in the auto interest, but not many are informed, simply just buying whatever influencers (social media, traditional media, forum folks, the neighbors they're competing against, etc) tell them to buy. BMW has been that way for a while, but along the way they made a handful of great cars, this new M5 does not appear to be one of them.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
My family had a 2000 Dodge Minivan, I thought it was the most practical vehicle we have ever driven, yes boring, yes ugly, but when we did family road trips there was nothing better even at 2-3 times the price. Back in the day you could get them new for 19k, now minivans are almost 50k or more (Canada)

If luxury car people truly emphasized comfort about all else, you can't beat a minivan, or a converted overlanding van, etc. The riding position, the space, the ease of getting in and out, etc etc. I'd much rather ride in one of the middle captain chairs of most fully loaded minivans than backseat in any luxury car under 150k for the most part.

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Millionaires are the new middle class. If you aren't a millionaire, you can't buy a home and/or don't own a home... Single digit millionaire is bare minimum for a comfortable - not lavish - existence.

I generally agree with you in merit, but I'd like to raise this point- the disparity of median/average income vs median/average home price in the areas you eluded to in later posts strongly suggest that there are other market facts at play than just gainfully working professionals needing to make more. I don't think it's talked about enough that as a prospective home buyer you're not just competing against your local peers, you're also competing with essentially professional home buyers. What I mean is, there are tons of individuals, businesses, families, foreign actors, etc pooling money and approaching home purchasing as any commercial venture. A crude metaphor would be the used car market where the Carvanas, Shifts, Carmaxes, etc of the world essentially used investor money to overpay for used vehicles, with the intention to owning the supply chain and effectively pricing out their competition, to then dominate the market and can dictate prices. As such, you didnt see a ton of vehicles being sold by private parties anymore and used car prices inflated dramatically. The fall of Shift and Vroom has already made an immediate impact on the used car pricing (among other factors as well of course, such as higher interest rates, employment confidence, inflation, etc). You see this in pretty much every market (cars, real estate, watches, basketball cards, pokemon, etc etc), where everything has become an investment. This is me spit balling here, but I think the pandemic essentially created a hyper focus on growing existing capital since working/operating a business was very limited, so those that had the means essentially focused their energy into that, and the reality is that most investors aren't investors, they're just gamblers. Let's not forget that it wasn't that long ago that NFTs were a thing. Also, across most industries, conglomeration is becoming the norm, effectively creating higher barriers of entry and higher cost to operate within markets.

In short, it's not that you need to make more, because average income and such hasn't changed much, it's that you need get more creative. Simply moving away from a major metro may not be viable, because as the trend of getting employees back into offices is clealy illustrating, buying a nice house hundreds of miles away from a major metro is not viable, just as opening a business that's reliant on high skilled labor away from where schools are concentrated (usually around higher population density areas) is usually not strategic.

In any rate, we as a society need to re-evaluate the game we are playing and realize that while people are too busy arguing over personal responsibility vs redistribution of wealth, we should be talking about how the game is becoming increasingly non-competitive, which is anti-capitalism and therefore anti-American no matter which side of the aisle you belong to. Yes, there has always been creative advantage creation, aka cheating, and with competition over (perceived) limited resources there will always be folks coloring outside the lines, but we as a society have not checked in on what's going on in for a while. People keep pointing towards corporations and the ultra wealthy creating alot of these inflationary problems, but the reality is that these entities do not quite have the numbers to dictate markets this effectively, because that would be easy to regulate out (monopoly). Conglomorates, investment companies, etc fly just under the radar and seem innocuous until you realize their impact.

Of course, there are many many many other factors as well, but I don't think this is talked about enough because on the one hand I totally understand why a person can't get into the energy, steel, banking, etc business because of the barriers to entry, but opening a restaurant, garage, mini mart, real estate? Without outside investment that isn't a loan? Good luck.
Old 07-16-2024, 09:18 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Look at it in motion at Goodwood. It moves like a uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - Dakar Rally Truck. haha

The following 2 users liked this post by Bullwings:
QUIKAG (07-17-2024), windhund116 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 05:42 AM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Look at it in motion at Goodwood. It moves like a uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - Dakar Rally Truck. haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3GBUB2hyvk
Is it just me, or did it sound like the tires were squealing in protest even when it was going straight?
Old 07-17-2024, 08:20 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Concede the point for the majority of the US; however, for high cost living areas, yes. Also, should have clarified for a family of 4, not DINKs or people going solo.

Buying/owning a house in a high cost living area... if you can "buy" a house right now in one of those areas, you're a millionaire, because 20% down isn't gonna cut it. Just go on the OC subreddit and listen to people making $350K a year complaining about not being able to buy a house because they keep getting out bid. And, if you already own a house, it means you had the money to buy at current prices/interest rates, or bought way way way ahead pre-pandemic before prices skyrocketed, meaning you have tons of equity, so are likely a "net worth millionaire".

So, yeah, bare minimum need to be a millionaire just to squeeze by comfortably in a high cost living metro area.
1. What I said was accurate. Orange County is not the majority of the United States of America. Neither are the other places you listed.
2. I don’t live in any of the areas you listed. If those places are too costly for you, move.
3. Nobody put a gun to someone’s head and said “you must have 2 children”. Having children is a personal choice not a requirement.

I bought a house over a decade before the pandemic. Got plenty of equity in my current home, but even with that doesn’t mean I’m a millionaire. Other people here are telling you the same thing, you just aren’t listening. I also lived in Seattle for a year, 20 years ago, and decided in 2004, it was too expensive, and left January 2005. Homes were overpriced back then for what you got. And there is too many people living in too small of a geographic area and too little highway infrastructure. It’s no newsflash to see some list where Portland, Seattle, LA, San Fran, San Diego, Honolulu, NYC, are the tops of the US in terms of cost of living. It was the same 20 years ago. Your little list, I could have named those off in 2004.

Millions of people have flooded into my metro area. Between property taxes and homeowners insurance I’m just about $1k a month, and that is not even my mortgage. We are projected to tie Chicago for the #3 metro in the US in 2028, and tie LA for #2 metro in 2030. I couldn’t afford to buy the house I currently own, if buying today. I hate it but it’s outside of my control. I have family in Maui and wanted to move there and could have bought a brand new built home, 5 years ago, for $650k. But every house on the street would have 8 people living in it, with cars parked in front of my house, and all down the street. I also looked at condos but they all came with $1k a month HOA dues. I decided it was just too expensive to live there. Right after, well people had been moving here in droves, but the pandemic poured race gas on that fire, millions have flooded in here. Eventually I’ll be taxed out via property taxes and homeowners insurance cost. So I bought acreage out of state, where I want to live in the mountains, next to a clean lake with killer mountain roads to ride and drive, and forest trails to ride in off road machinery. I cannot control how expensive it has become to live where I live. It’s just outside of my control so I bought land elsewhere and will spend the next few years of my life, locked down 100% financially so I can build my Morton, finish it out, move, and sell my current home. Everyone has the same ability.

Last edited by TommyDeVito; 07-17-2024 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-17-2024, 08:58 AM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Someone who actually drove the car

Old 07-17-2024, 09:06 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3GBUB2hyvk
Watching this "agile or nimble" doesn't come to mind.
Old 07-18-2024, 08:22 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by silvio1522
Someone who actually drove the car
Someone else who drove the car, and gets straight to the point in half the time without getting rose colored glasses over the straight line speed. Says it in the nicest ways possible, given that this is a press drive.
- Weight, heavy, weird braking feel
- Electronics interfering
- Loses M5 DNA, Step back from the F90
- Fake sounds
- Soft

The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (07-19-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 10:22 PM

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Someone else who drove the car, and gets straight to the point in half the time without getting rose colored glasses over the straight line speed. Says it in the nicest ways possible, given that this is a press drive.
- Weight, heavy, weird braking feel
- Electronics interfering
- Loses M5 DNA, Step back from the F90
- Fake sounds
- Soft
Doesn't sound like the kind of car you would want to take to the track. I guess that's why "Joe" pointed out that most potential buyers would never see a track, and rather use it as a daily driver. Must be those typical millionaire types.

The following 2 users liked this post by silvio1522:
TommyDeVito (07-19-2024), windhund116 (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 05:27 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by QUIKAG:
jnewtons2k (07-26-2024), Mr.E.G. (09-09-2024), TheDonEffect (07-22-2024), TommyDeVito (07-19-2024)
Old 07-19-2024, 07:12 AM

Received 1,453 Likes on 1,090 Posts

I started looking at cars that this is heavier than. The answer is way too many lol. Even 70's caddillac road boats are lighter than this car. Hell a lot of the versions of the new Silverado are lighter than this thing. That is mind blowing.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (07-19-2024)

Quick Reply: New 5,400lb BMW M5