Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 5,400lb BMW M5

Old 07-06-2024, 06:37 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

Years ago I drove a big heavy vehicle, while it seemed really comfy and safe at first I really got sick of how much momentum they carry in various driving conditions. Braking and cornering really irritated me after some time, it just felt bad, so I got sick of that vehicle. I don't think massive power or massive brakes would have made it feel any better, just the feeling of carrying all that momentum and weight around felt like crap.
Old 07-07-2024, 10:36 AM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
This is the answer. But the millionaire next door does the opposite, and flies under the radar. Only narcissists have the “need” to be all show and no go.
Millionaires are the new middle class. If you aren't a millionaire, you can't buy a home and/or don't own a home... Single digit millionaire is bare minimum for a comfortable - not lavish - existence.
The following users liked this post:
ThreeD (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 03:07 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Millionaires are the new middle class. If you aren't a millionaire, you can't buy a home and/or don't own a home... Single digit millionaire is bare minimum for a comfortable - not lavish - existence.
Nah. That’s geographic dependent. IE, major city metro areas this could be true, San Fran comes to mind, Honolulu, NYC. But it’s not true for the entire US, not by a long shot. And even in those high cost areas, we have people that own homes in these places, and they aren’t millionaires. A bit rich..
silvio1522 (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 08:58 PM

Received 614 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Nah. That’s geographic dependent. IE, major city metro areas this could be true, San Fran comes to mind, Honolulu, NYC. But it’s not true for the entire US, not by a long shot. And even in those high cost areas, we have people that own homes in these places, and they aren’t millionaires. A bit rich..
Concede the point for the majority of the US; however, for high cost living areas, yes. Also, should have clarified for a family of 4, not DINKs or people going solo.

Buying/owning a house in a high cost living area... if you can "buy" a house right now in one of those areas, you're a millionaire, because 20% down isn't gonna cut it. Just go on the OC subreddit and listen to people making $350K a year complaining about not being able to buy a house because they keep getting out bid. And, if you already own a house, it means you had the money to buy at current prices/interest rates, or bought way way way ahead pre-pandemic before prices skyrocketed, meaning you have tons of equity, so are likely a "net worth millionaire".

So, yeah, bare minimum need to be a millionaire just to squeeze by comfortably in a high cost living metro area.

Old 07-08-2024, 05:36 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
Years ago I drove a big heavy vehicle, while it seemed really comfy and safe at first I really got sick of how much momentum they carry in various driving conditions. Braking and cornering really irritated me after some time, it just felt bad, so I got sick of that vehicle. I don't think massive power or massive brakes would have made it feel any better, just the feeling of carrying all that momentum and weight around felt like crap.

Yeah, if you have a heavy vehicle and you hit ice with cars in front of you it is a serious Code Brown.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I don't think you have to be a millionaire, but you do need serious income. We have some young couples in our neighborhood who own some spendy homes, but it is usually two high paid professionals. I am in the suburbs, but it amazes me what houses in the areas that are not crime infested cost inside the city. I Rents are just as bad. I know people paying more for a 900 sqft apartment than we pay on a mortgage for a place about four times that size. Not going to change unless we just start building massive amounts of housing, a market crash, or the boomers start to drop like flies. People owning four places and renting them on AirBnB is really hurting things too. It is all pretty screwed up.

Old 07-08-2024, 06:39 AM

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,106 Posts

I am a LONNNNNG way from millionaire lol. Bought 3.5 acres with a 1900 sq ft house and a 1500 sq ft shop for less than $350k and that was in the 2022 house market. Geography is everything and most everywhere in the country is orders of magnitudes cheaper than the coasts. The coasts are ridiculously overpriced and drive the average numbers way up. I make pretty good money (but still considered upper middle class) and would never dream of spending what people are spending on some homes. People get themselves house poor very quickly trying to live in that certain place and keeping up with their peers that are also house poor. The market sucks right now for sure, but saying you have to be a millionaire to own a home is a huge stretch for most of the country.
Old 07-08-2024, 06:43 AM

But man, back to this 5400 lb car lol. That is over 1000 lbs more than our truck . It is also more than 1000 lbs heavier than the combined weight of my trailer and the s2k. Insanity!
windhund116 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 09:36 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
But man, back to this 5400 lb car lol. That is over 1000 lbs more than our truck . It is also more than 1000 lbs heavier than the combined weight of my trailer and the s2k. Insanity!
That's heavier than the usual takeoff weight of a Japanese Zero (including gas, oil, and pilot).
Old 07-08-2024, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by windhund116
That's heavier than the usual takeoff weight of a Japanese Zero (including gas, oil, and pilot).
I hope you knew that without looking it up

Quick Reply: New 5,400lb BMW M5