Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 5,400lb BMW M5

Old 07-02-2024, 06:51 AM

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
It doesn't matter if the M5 Hybrid CS Supermax ends up having 1,000hp, it's still going to be a 5,400lb fatty with tires and brakes that will give up way too easy on track. Might as well get an X5/X7/XM, etc.
Are potential buyers really looking for a car to take to the track? Do they really care if it's a porker? Lots of other cars out there for that at half the price. Not sure why people are using that metric for comparison.
Old 07-02-2024, 02:43 PM

Received 505 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by silvio1522
Are potential buyers really looking for a car to take to the track? Do they really care if it's a porker? Lots of other cars out there for that at half the price. Not sure why people are using that metric for comparison.

Seriously. I wish I can run a social experiment in making a track weapon minivan to see if that could ultimately get the sheeple to buy minivans instead of CUVs and think they're cool (FWIW, I love minivans). The Model X is a minivan, the doors just go upwards is all. I really do think that the fashion world behind closed doors just laugh at what they can get people to wear and think that they're awesome, because I've never seen any of the designers actually wear anything outlandish.
The following users liked this post:
Justapickup (07-04-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 01:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546

I actually just drove the Blackwing and Jesus Christ is it amazing. I put down a deposit immediately. It's one of the best cars ive ever driven, especially one that has no compromises.
Did you get MSRP pricing? When is delivery ?
Thanks,

Old 07-04-2024, 04:02 AM

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Justapickup
Did you get MSRP pricing? When is delivery ?
Thanks,
yes MSRP. 2nd allocation at this dealer. Delivery is tbd for now. Cadillac hasn’t released any allocations or build dates yet for any 5V BW. But was told it’ll be most likely 6-9 months
Justapickup (07-04-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 04:04 AM

You don’t have to track the car to notice the weight. I had the 1st allocation for a m5 touring. I canceled it because I don’t want a wagon that weighs as much as my suvs. Defeats the purpose.

Old 07-04-2024, 08:21 AM

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

You don’t have to track the car to notice the weight. I had the 1st allocation for a m5 touring. I canceled it because I don’t want a wagon that weighs as much as my suvs. Defeats the purpose.
I'm curious as to the purpose. You know better than me, that this isn't exactly the best car for track use, so what were you going to use the car for? How did the extra weight compromise that use? If you didn't know the weight would you still be a buyer? Not arguing, and sure not a buyer, just curious as to what people deem important when buying this class of car.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 AM

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Eh???

You can feel the extra weight in every day driving. Anyone that enjoys spirited driving can feel it immediately. Dive into one cloverleaf and its immediately noticeable.
Old Today, 05:19 AM

I'm curious as to the purpose. You know better than me, that this isn't exactly the best car for track use, so what were you going to use the car for? How did the extra weight compromise that use? If you didn't know the weight would you still be a buyer? Not arguing, and sure not a buyer, just curious as to what people deem important when buying this class of car.
Purpose is to the most useable fun daily possible lol. After having kids, 2 seaters and coupes are much less practical. I wanted a m5 wagon so I could get rid of my suv.

If I wanted just a track car, I’d buy a GT4 or 991 gt3 for the same price.

the point of a high HP sedan or wagon is to have your cake and eat it to. I can enjoy my everyday commute and still put my kids in the back while having something fun and fast.

Weight is something that you can feel everyday on the street. It’s not like it’s a small weight gain either. 1-200 lbs is one thing, but 1000+ lbs is definitely very noticeable. I wouldn’t have canceled if I didn’t know the weight, but I would have canceled after driving it.

The blackwing I just ordered is 1300 lbs lighter than the new m5. Trust me anyone can drive both cars side by side and notice the weight difference.

I do think the car will still sell well tho. Car enthusiasts are not the norm. Most people who are buying an m5, are not enthusiasts. They just want the “best” and want luxury plus speed or they want to show people they have some money.

Last edited by s.hasan546; Today at 05:24 AM.
silvio1522 (Today)
Old Today, 06:43 AM

Received 3,540 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Seriously. I wish I can run a social experiment in making a track weapon minivan to see if that could ultimately get the sheeple to buy minivans instead of CUVs and think they're cool (FWIW, I love minivans). The Model X is a minivan, the doors just go upwards is all. I really do think that the fashion world behind closed doors just laugh at what they can get people to wear and think that they're awesome, because I've never seen any of the designers actually wear anything outlandish.
My family had a 2000 Dodge Minivan, I thought it was the most practical vehicle we have ever driven, yes boring, yes ugly, but when we did family road trips there was nothing better even at 2-3 times the price. Back in the day you could get them new for 19k, now minivans are almost 50k or more (Canada)
Old Today, 12:54 PM

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

or they want to show people they have some money.
This is the answer. But the millionaire next door does the opposite, and flies under the radar. Only narcissists have the “need” to be all show and no go.

Quick Reply: New 5,400lb BMW M5