Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 2012 Civic Lineup on Honda website

Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

So you're going to never drive a vehicle because you read a review that didn't praise it?

The TOV review of the Si was fair, balanced and overall pretty good. They didn't get a chance to really thrash it and they did comment that it was a far easier car to drive on public streets, primarily due to more torque. They also said the suspension was more sophisticated and the car was a little less responsive but more stable. They had wet roads so they're waiting for a vehicle to give it a full thrashing and come up with a real test report.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a boring car.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by RC 94' timestamp='1303694736' post='20502923
Yet it will still sell.
Which is problem number two, because it allows Honda to continue to believe they are on the right path
I've talked about this in the past. I've been critical of both the Accord and Camry for coasting. Many people have responded they still sell. Well GM sold well for a long time even when the stuff was junk. The problem is this will eventually erode the brand. For a while Honda and Toyota were so far ahead in this area that people would buy a Corolla or Civic because it was clearly the better car. Later the quality of the competitors got better. Sure you have a lot of loyalty but eventually people will see the alternatives. If nothing else Hyundai (and perhaps even more so Kia) is doing well due to good styling. Just the other day I saw the Kia Accord sized sedan. No idea what the name is but it looked good to me the way Audi's look good. While I consider the Accord to be the standard for the class, the Kia looked so good I would certainly check on out before defaulting to buy an Accord. Even if the Kia isn't quite as trouble free 5 years later I would trade that for a car that doesn't look as awkward as the new Accord. In the 80s and early 90s there simply weren't a lot of great options and the Civic and Corolla were both well built if conservative in style. Now their build quality doesn't stand out (the Corolla especially) and their reliability, while good as ever, isn't so much better than people wouldn't consider the competition. Either Honda corrects their course or they will suffer.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I like to ask people that own cars like the Civic and Camry if they test drove the cars before they bought them, or looked at anything else, and many have told me that no, they just traded their old one in for a new one. There are lots of head-down buyers out there for these cars.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:21 AM

Why does the DX only come in two colors? Aren't the bodies the same?
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The funny thing is, you're talking about declining sales and Honda is only seeing month-over-month and year-over-year sales improvements.
Give me a ring in 5-years...
I stand by my opinion!
By then Honda will be singing a totally different tune, and it will sound of defeat.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 AM

I think the case isn't absolute sales volume, but sales and market share - just about everyone is selling more cars, but the market share pie is changing and I recall Honda didn't recover as well as some other brands since 2008.

Looking at the 1Q 2011 market analysis, Honda slipped to fourth place behind Hyundai in the midsize market for the first time. Toyota and Nissan are the leaders.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Why does the DX only come in two colors? Aren't the bodies the same?
Because American Honda has their head up their asss
The CR-Z comes in a bunch of cool colors, but not here in the states
The CR-Z gets nice black cloth seats, but not here in the states

John Mendel, Senior Vice President Ameican Honda, old fat marketing moron
Old 04-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by rockville
I've talked about this in the past. I've been critical of both the Accord and Camry for coasting. Many people have responded they still sell. Well GM sold well for a long time even when the stuff was junk. The problem is this will eventually erode the brand. For a while Honda and Toyota were so far ahead in this area that people would buy a Corolla or Civic because it was clearly the better car. Later the quality of the competitors got better. Sure you have a lot of loyalty but eventually people will see the alternatives.
In the 80s and early 90s there simply weren't a lot of great options and the Civic and Corolla were both well built if conservative in style. Now their build quality doesn't stand out (the Corolla especially) and their reliability, while good as ever, isn't so much better than people wouldn't consider the competition.
Either Honda corrects their course or they will suffer.
You sir get it!!!
Exactly.
I am in total agrement

BTW, the Kia is an Optima, and it's really awesome in turbo form
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Well, I can now see why the two DX colors are blue and silver - obviously his favorites!

Quick Reply: New 2012 Civic Lineup on Honda website