Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 2012 Civic Lineup on Honda website

Old 04-25-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 229 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Speaking to Jon is a waste, he does not get it, he refuses to consider Honda could be anything but perfect.
Nah. I had an Acura 1.6EL that had ticking valves and our 1999 Accord had the infamous transmission failure. My S2000 did need the clutch master cylinder replaced as well. So no, hardly perfect. We did have some "perfect" Hondas as well but it's been a roughly 50/50 split for my personal vehicles. My family has owned a lot of them with very few issues, though, so my overall experience has been very good.

You however Wolf, seem to express my same opinion, there is a lot of Honda fans that are not happy with the current Honda trend
And I believe there are not going to be enough new buyers going into the Honda fold, and Honda will continue to see declining sales figures until they hit rock bottom and then Honda is going to stand up, cluelessly and ask, how did we get here?
I work with lots of younger people, over and over I'm exposed to the point of view that they are looking at Kia and Hyundai, because A- they are young and don't have pre-conceived notions of these brands when they were nothing like they are today, B- they don't even consider Honda because too many older people have them and they don't like the lack of cool, C- Hyundai and Kia are speaking their language, and they are listening

My Mother bought a 2011 Kia Sorento just recently
There was some confusion and concern over exactly what was included in the Tow Package option
Calls were made to Hyundai and the dealer also looking into it, and the information was not consistent
We moved ahead with the purchase because I knew I could get it resolved (and we did easily)
But, the key is, during this process, Hyundai sent my Mom a $100 Visa card for her inconvenience
Oh yea, like Honda would do that...
The funny thing is, you're talking about declining sales and Honda is only seeing month-over-month and year-over-year sales improvements. Sure, Hyundai and Kia are going up as well but we're still seeing the Sonata being outside the top four sedans in its class (for sales) after a full year of hype and testing and plenty of advertising. The Elantra is a great looking car with some nice features (heated seats!) but initial tests are already talking about cheap interior materials, rough handling and less-than-sophisticated suspension. You'll sell young buyers on looks and accessories but the data shows that young buyers between 18 and 25 are buying fewer and fewer cars! Hardly a market you want to depend on for continued sales growth....

Give these new models three years and we'll see how resale, reliability and style are holding up. That's going to decide a lot more than a temporary spike in sales or demand based on poor supply or initial hype.

I'll be the first to admit that Kia (for instance) has amazingly improved their designs, as has Hyundai (the Genesis Coupe and Sedan are very nice to my eye). However, I'm more worried about Ford and their combination of improved design, new powertrains and high content spec for their vehicles (despite the fact that they are consistently quite a bit heavier than Honda). Ford is also doing it without their federal government giving them a competitive dollar advantage through subsidies, which is more than can be said for Hyundai right now.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Jonboy,

I don't think anyone would argue that Honda still has some good engineers/engineering in its products (hitting 39mpg highway w/o DI and a 6spd AT is good). However, I'd say it's certainly fading, their designs are getting a little "stale," and there's a lack of "innovation." I think that about sums it up. Hondas are certainly not "bad" cars, but their overall quality/lead has certainly fallen amongst competitors.

In terms of building "fun" cars, I think they're just devolving in that regard. Design wise, hondas are generally always ugly (to a degree), but the Camry rear end of the civic is just hideous. I do agree that DI and some of these newer 6AT transmissions have their issues, and aren't tried and true tested designs, so perhaps ppl will stick with honda, but hondas competitors have nearly closed the gap. If I wanted a civic or comparable car at this point, I'd probably opt to pickup a used previous gen model civic ('06-'11). I'll have to read up on other mfr's and how DI is holding up after time.. I certainly understand the issues with carbon build up for DI, and understand WHY honda made the decision they did.. but I'd think they could be a little more competitive price wise then if they're just rehashing old designs/engines..
Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like the shift knob... thats about it.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Jonboy,

I don't think anyone would argue that Honda still has some good engineers/engineering in its products (hitting 39mpg highway w/o DI and a 6spd AT is good). However, I'd say it's certainly fading, their designs are getting a little "stale," and there's a lack of "innovation." I think that about sums it up. Hondas are certainly not "bad" cars, but their overall quality/lead has certainly fallen amongst competitors.

In terms of building "fun" cars, I think they're just devolving in that regard. Design wise, hondas are generally always ugly (to a degree), but the Camry rear end of the civic is just hideous. I do agree that DI and some of these newer 6AT transmissions have their issues, and aren't tried and true tested designs, so perhaps ppl will stick with honda, but hondas competitors have nearly closed the gap. If I wanted a civic or comparable car at this point, I'd probably opt to pickup a used previous gen model civic ('06-'11). I'll have to read up on other mfr's and how DI is holding up after time.. I certainly understand the issues with carbon build up for DI, and understand WHY honda made the decision they did.. but I'd think they could be a little more competitive price wise then if they're just rehashing old designs/engines..
Can't disagree with you, in general. I will say that "stable" designs rarely wow the public but they tend to look better as the vehicles age where as other "trendy" vehicles often look overdone within a few years.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Can't disagree with you, in general. I will say that "stable" designs rarely wow the public but they tend to look better as the vehicles age where as other "trendy" vehicles often look overdone within a few years.
I don't think those taillights will EVER grow on me.. lol Like I said, it reminds me of a camry, and I happen to think that model year camry is the ugliest thing ever. I actually like the current gen (or now old model gen) civic sedan. I still got my good old trusty '00 MY civic sedan.. It's very reliable, gets good mileage, and is cheap. Don't know if I can ever justify selling it to "upgrade" to a newer civic..

The "power meter," VTEC indicator, and other nonsense on the Si are just so tacky, I don't even know what to say..
Old 04-26-2011, 06:08 AM

The tail lights are definitely a big step back, especially compared to the 8th gen ones. The initial reviews of the car, though, are very good with most of them talking about improvements to refinement with virtually no loss of sportiness. The interior sounds like it's made of slightly cheaper materials but they've added more content to offset that, probably in an effort to better compete with the likes of Hyundai and Kia.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that Japan doesn't get the Civic, will the last type R (R) be the last gen's Civic Type R?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Christople
Now that Japan doesn't get the Civic, will the last type R (R) be the last gen's Civic Type R?
Most likely, unless Europe gets one. Also, save for a couple of models, K20 production has ended worldwide along with the JDM Civic. .
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by ziggy55' timestamp='1303417947' post='20493590
Honda has info on the new Civic lineup its rolling out... Interior of the SI looks pretty sharp.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic/
I never thought the day would come when Honda would be so lazy as to just take a bigger and less exciting engine and just throw it into the Si. 0.4 extra liters for 4 horsepower? Just wow. Taking one out of Toyota's playbook I see.
Thing is, the 2012 will be the faster car. All of that torque really comes in handy for 98% of the driving we do on the street.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Even TOV review of the 2012 Si was not favorable compared to the out going 8th Gen. My wife's 2010 S1 will be my beater car by the end of this year and I now have no intentions of looking at the 9th Gen.

Quick Reply: New 2012 Civic Lineup on Honda website