Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

New 2012 Civic Lineup on Honda website

Old 04-25-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonBoy
They upgraded the brakes on the Si, which is great. Interior looks a little disjointed to me, what with all the angles and lines that are thrown at it. They're all slightly "off" with very little fluency at the junctions. The center vents are at different heights, the nav screen is horizontally aligned but the dash has a slight upwards angle to it, and then the whole center stack is canted as well. It just doesn't seem to flow as well as the current one. That said, I'm still waiting to see it in person to make a judgement...
I sat inside the EX model on Friday
The interior left me wanting to run, run away, fast...
The worst part was how the upper left dash meets the door when the door is closed
It's like the designer off the door worked in one factory, and the designer of the dash worked in another
The 2-components were never put next to each other in full-scale clay
The result is a miss-matched joke
I know some 2nd year college designers who could have easily created a more cohesive looking layout
Sad, just sad
Mojo gone
Period
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by GinoGT
I've got an '11 LX and the manifold is part of the head on that one too (unless you're talking about the Si?)
If I remember the LX has the R-series engine; the Si,the K-series
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by RC 94
Yet it will still sell.
Which is problem number two, because it allows Honda to continue to believe they are on the right path
Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

So, Honda is WRONG because they'll sell more Civics than any other manufacturer will of a comparable vehicle? C'mon! They're here to make money, not satisfy enthusiasts on an S2000 forum.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 AM

So, Honda is WRONG because they'll sell more Civics than any other manufacturer will of a comparable vehicle? C'mon! They're here to make money, not satisfy enthusiasts on an S2000 forum.
OPINION Jon, it's MY OPINION, it's not a so called fact, it's an OPINION

Sure, Honda can be "right" if they continue to sell lots of Civics, however, that is a bit of an assumption on your part as they have not sold them yet, and you cannot speak to the future, or do you have sage like powers and can reveal the sales figures for next October?

The concern many of us have, CONCERN, that thing which leads me to my OPINION, is that as Honda continues to fall short of many of our S2000 community's expectations, so too will their sales fall short of their expectations

Please don't make me drag up the sales figures for the CR-Z again, let's just leave it at THE FACT that Honda is not selloing them here anywhere even close to their projected goal of 1,500 units monthly

So yes, Honda can be WRONG, in my OPINION
Old 04-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Sure, but your endless commentary about how Honda is on the wrong path while in the same breath (in another thread) admitting that NO ONE is making the car you want is getting pretty silly. Based on what you're saying, every one of the manufacturers is going down the wrong path. Well, Mini makes the car you want but you don't want it, so perhaps you're just picky.

I don't need to be prescient to know that the Civic will sell well. Even the admittedly bland 7th gen sold a ton so I know this one will as well. I'm not sure what the CR-Z (a niche vehicle that was supposed to have 18,000 sales a year) has to do with a car that will sell 300,000 units per year....

But if you want, we can talk about sales for the Accord, Odyssey, Civic, and CR-V while you mention the niche vehicle(s) in the lineup as proof that Honda is on the "wrong path". I'm sure that would be lots of fun for us both.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

They are on the wrong path. Bland designs and lack of innovation. It'll be no surprise when Hyundai surpasses them in sales in the US in the next few years.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Anyone notice the HF is almost as much as an EX as well? The HF was never the more expensive model back in the day, but now it's expensive. They put smaller/cheaper wheels/tires on the car, lower the car slightly, add a tiny rear lip spoiler and some other small things, and want a premium for it? Really?

The elantra is going to gain significant market share this year. The Si looks "blah" to me. 7k redline is pretty boring, but I guess it's no surprise.

Personally, I find the rear end hideous. It looks like a damn older camry.. Given the current crop of cars out these days, I'd be very surprised if the civic does as well as last year. Oh ya, I didn't mention that the Si's interior looks more like a video game than a car.. *sigh*
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM

Sure, but your endless commentary about how Honda is on the wrong path while in the same breath (in another thread) admitting that NO ONE is making the car you want is getting pretty silly. Based on what you're saying, every one of the manufacturers is going down the wrong path. Well, Mini makes the car you want but you don't want it, so perhaps you're just picky.
Speaking to Jon is a waste, he does not get it, he refuses to consider Honda could be anything but perfect.

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
They are on the wrong path. Bland designs and lack of innovation. It'll be no surprise when Hyundai surpasses them in sales in the US in the next few years.
You however Wolf, seem to express my same opinion, there is a lot of Honda fans that are not happy with the current Honda trend
And I believe there are not going to be enough new buyers going into the Honda fold, and Honda will continue to see declining sales figures until they hit rock bottom and then Honda is going to stand up, cluelessly and ask, how did we get here?
I work with lots of younger people, over and over I'm exposed to the point of view that they are looking at Kia and Hyundai, because A- they are young and don't have pre-conceived notions of these brands when they were nothing like they are today, B- they don't even consider Honda because too many older people have them and they don't like the lack of cool, C- Hyundai and Kia are speaking their language, and they are listening

My Mother bought a 2011 Kia Sorento just recently
There was some confusion and concern over exactly what was included in the Tow Package option
Calls were made to Hyundai and the dealer also looking into it, and the information was not consistent
We moved ahead with the purchase because I knew I could get it resolved (and we did easily)
But, the key is, during this process, Hyundai sent my Mom a $100 Visa card for her inconvenience
Oh yea, like Honda would do that...
Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
What's hilarious is that they are matching or beating everyone with their "lack of innovation" for most of their vehicles. Most fuel efficient minivan? Honda Odyssey. The Civic is still using a 5AT and matching or beating virtually everyone else that has a 6MT or 6AT while using a normally aspirated carry-over motor. The Accord is also rated as well as or better than virtually everyone else using a 5AT or 5MT. The CR-V is rated lower but in real world (per Edmunds Town Hall) beating everyone else at the fuel efficiency game with a lesser transmission AND without an update in the last four years.

Honda hasn't used direct injection yet (probably due to the issues that everyone else "on the cutting edge" is having with carbon buildup and costly engine tear downs to clean them out) and they haven't embraced turbo charging. Also notice that Toyota hasn't either and the two of them are virtually dominating the major car sizes in sales.

Meanwhile, Ford is having issues with their new 6AT dual-clutch gearbox on the Focus and Fiesta. A number of manufacturers are paying through the nose for people to have their direct injected motors cleaned after as little as 25K miles.

I'll stick with reliable, repeatable cars for this type of machine. I'll save the "new tech" for a car where fun means more than longevity.

Go check out Edmunds Town Hall and read about people's issues with their Sonatas getting horrible gas mileage, regardless of driving conditions. Then go check out all the disappointed people that expected 33 mpg out of their Chevy Equinox but are having a hard time hitting 28 mpg. Then move over to the Sonata forums again and read about stalling issues (3 out of 5 cars, at one dealership!) and people putting 50 lb blocks in the rear right of the corner of their car because it pulls to the left and the dealership says it's normal and doesn't need to be fixed or adjusted. But it doesn't have bland styling and it sure has lots of innovation.

Quick Reply: New 2012 Civic Lineup on Honda website