Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Never thought I'd author "Help me pick a car" thread.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'm sorry but that looks incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. If you get in a minor fender bender or slam on your brakes your dog is going to be going through the front or back windshield and it likely won't be pretty.
The Cayman comes with a cargo net on the engine hump. Would you feel better if he said he placed the dog under the net? The reality is very few owners actually buckle/strap their dogs in when they take them in any vehicle.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:32 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

There are ways to safely transport animals in cars, but that is not really the point of this thread, so to head off an argument about pet safety, let's just stick to cars and assume any pet would be properly secured.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your favorite car was Japanese how are you not even considering the NSX? Not being rude just curious?
Old 01-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
If your favorite car was Japanese how are you not even considering the NSX? Not being rude just curious?
The old one? I can not afford whatever new one comes out when it finally does. But as far as the old one goes, it is cool and all but has never been my dream car and they are getting really old. I would buy the old one if it was going to be a collectable and do not drive. But since I would want to drive it, I don't really want to buy an old car with high miles and old school performance. I could also daily a Cayman without worrying about getting dings on a rare classic.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:29 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1420664304' post='23459817
I'm sorry but that looks incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. If you get in a minor fender bender or slam on your brakes your dog is going to be going through the front or back windshield and it likely won't be pretty.
Oh brother... You can't honestly believe that either of those situations would actually put a 25 lb dog through a windshield, can you? You are being a bit dramatic.
You must not understand the physics of a unrestrained 25 pound object in the event of a car accident. At 50 mph a 25 pound dog will exert over 1,200 pounds of force, not sure why you think that wouldn't go through a windshield.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=128062

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unle...el-safety.html

http://www.kurgo.com/dog-travel-statistics/
Old 01-07-2015, 05:01 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1420672533' post='23459972
The old one? I can not afford whatever new one comes out when it finally does. But as far as the old one goes, it is cool and all but has never been my dream car and they are getting really old. I would buy the old one if it was going to be a collectable and do not drive. But since I would want to drive it, I don't really want to buy an old car with high miles and old school performance. I could also daily a Cayman without worrying about getting dings on a rare classic.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

The NSX’s aluminum structure is nowhere near as solid as the Boxster’s steel foundation. We might be more forgiving if the 3123-pound NSX weighed less than the 3035-pound Boxster, but in the NSX, the steering column shakes, the dashboard quivers, and the A-pillars flutter when the tires are on anything other than smooth pavement.But step into the Boxster and it takes only a few corners to realize that the Porsche can do everything the Acura does, only better. There’s more grip, the steering is just as accurate and talkative, body motions are kept in check, and the structure doesn’t shiver like a wet dog. The brakes respond more quickly and stop the Boxster faster.
I really want to get a late model NSX also but not sure if I will be disappointed. Also, the draw of the NSX is how well it keeps its value but that is also its weakness. The price keeps me from buying b/c it's soooo expensive for its performance.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 PM

The problem with the build quality comparison is that at the same age as the NSX, the boxster won't even come close to the same quality. A 2004+ MY NSX is not that old of a car.

I would however take a Boxster spyder over an NSX - at the very least that would make it a reeeeeaaaallly hard choice. Same coin though.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:11 AM

Think about it this way. Let's assume that a decent used 981 Cayman costs $70k, or $20k more than what you would like to spend. How much would spending the extra $20k push out your retirement date? 2-3 months? Would you be OK with pushing out your retirement date by that much so you can buy the car now, and take the road trip with your dad (which you may not be able to in a few years)?
Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

If you want my buddy's Cayman S (pictured and mention in my posts) in around 1.5 years, PM me. He is leasing it and I think he has a low buy out price, but will most likely return the car.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Think about it this way. Let's assume that a decent used 981 Cayman costs $70k, or $20k more than what you would like to spend. How much would spending the extra $20k push out your retirement date? 2-3 months? Would you be OK with pushing out your retirement date by that much so you can buy the car now, and take the road trip with your dad (which you may not be able to in a few years)?
Wow I wish I could save 20K in 2-3 months!

Quick Reply: Never thought I'd author "Help me pick a car" thread.