Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Never thought I'd author "Help me pick a car" thread.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2014+ GTS is my suggestion. Personally, I would choose the upcoming GT4. However, given the circumstances and other details you provided, the GTS will fulfill your needs most effectively. One that fits your requirements should not be too difficult to find either.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in your boat and am considering similar vehicles. I drove a 997.2 Carrera and it was a great car don't get me wrong but it never "wow'd" me. I had a hard time thinking I'd spend anything above 40k for it.

What the other guys are saying is probably right. Cayman GT4 on the high end, and 09 Cayman S for low.

I think you should seriously consider an NSX over both though. It's probably the better buy considering it wont lose its value and can be used everyday with peace of mind. 50-70k gets you a very clean NA2.

The porsche badge really is the only reason for the markup. The cars are a lot of hype, although still have their merits.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:37 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Look for an 08-09 S2000.

Or, you could look at the manual transmission SLK, if you can deal with the engine output.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
I'm in your boat and am considering similar vehicles. I drove a 997.2 Carrera and it was a great car don't get me wrong but it never "wow'd" me. I had a hard time thinking I'd spend anything above 40k for it.

What the other guys are saying is probably right. Cayman GT4 on the high end, and 09 Cayman S for low.
Yeah, I have to try to take a 997.2 for a spin and see but if it lacks wow factor that would be a downer.

I am sure a GT4 would just be out of the price range, even used for some time. One thing I did find while surfing the interwebs the other day, IF the GT4 is a Cayman with the 3.8 engine, there is a place that does 3.8 swaps into a Cayman for about 20k. It is a brand new crate engine and the $20k price tag included a core credit for trading in your Cayman engine. Some dude bought the new model standard Cayman for $50k, had the swap done for $20k, and now has the 400hp Carrera S engine in his car. Quite possibly GT4 engine output in a new Cayman for $70k. But who knows what other suspension tricks the GT4 will have.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^The Cayman S has a lot more going for it than just it's engine (over a base Cayman). So with an engine swap such as that keep it in mind. Plus you'd be tossing your factory warranty out the window.

The 987.2 Cayman S is a better driving experience than a 981 S. Plain and simple. Smaller, nimbler car with worlds better steering feel. I've driven them back to back and the difference in steering feel is startling. It really is. The only advantage the 981 has (in my opinion) is a vastly superior interior. However you said you're only going to be driving this car 3,000 miles a year, so I feel like the interior design is low on the list of priorities since you won't really be spending a lot of time in there. The 987 has more rear hatch trunk space btw, with more room above the engine hump. You mentioned having a dog. Depending on how large the dog is it would fit just fine laying on top of the engine. At least my 25lb dog does that just fine.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
You mentioned having a dog. Depending on how large the dog is it would fit just fine laying on top of the engine. At least my 25lb dog does that just fine.
I had considered a new Cayman S and there was no way our 25 lb dog or even smaller could or should sit on top the engine area as you say. The dog was not a deal breaker for me, but I just couldn't see how a dog would fit in my friend's car or the previous model. We brought our dog to the dealership to verify on the older model a couple of years ago.

I posted earlier on the lackluster steering feel on the 2014 Cayman S; to read in another post that electronic steering is new for 2014 Cayman S. Not as nice steering as S2000's FWIW (although it's been many years since I drove an S2000, could be wrong on side-by-side).
Old 01-07-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

This little fella loves laying on the shelf behind the back seats of my Integra, so being on top of the engine hump in the Porsche is no biggie.

Here he is on the rear shelf of a VW Jetta

He's a bit of a contortionist

I can see how that can vary by dog though.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

The 987.2 Cayman S is a better driving experience than a 981 S. Plain and simple. Smaller, nimbler car with worlds better steering feel. I've driven them back to back and the difference in steering feel is startling. It really is.

Well, since my favorite car was my old MR2 turbo, the 987 probablay comes closer in terms of analog feel. I will have to try to drive them back to back and see how I feel.

When I finally got out of college and had no money I bought the 91 MR2. Could never afford the newer ones at the time. I always said that if they made it again I would buy a new one in a hearbeat. Maybe the 987 is as close to a new one as I will get.

This whole discussion has made me impatient to go test drive a few cars, but the high temp here today is minus 3 and good weather is a few months off.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

This little fella loves laying on the shelf behind the back seats of my Integra, so being on top of the engine hump in the Porsche is no biggie.

I can see how that can vary by dog though.
I'm sorry but that looks incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. If you get in a minor fender bender or slam on your brakes your dog is going to be going through the front or back windshield and it likely won't be pretty.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
I'm sorry but that looks incredibly dangerous and irresponsible. If you get in a minor fender bender or slam on your brakes your dog is going to be going through the front or back windshield and it likely won't be pretty.
Oh brother... You can't honestly believe that either of those situations would actually put a 25 lb dog through a windshield, can you? You are being a bit dramatic.

Quick Reply: Never thought I'd author "Help me pick a car" thread.