Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need suggestions - Zippy car for my wife

Old 04-06-2004, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife has been driving an SUV for the past few years (Nissan Xterra/Honda Pilot) and now she wants to move onto something a little smaller and faster. We've been checking around and haven't been able to find anything that suits her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's what we're working with -
  • Price range: $30-40k (she says) | $30-70k (I say)
  • New (not used)
  • Euro/Japanese-made
  • Not a large car
  • Zippy (fast)

Here's what she's not interested in -
  • Porsche (any kind)
  • BMW Z4
  • BMW M3 (Her brother owns three and her brother-in-law owns one too)
  • Convertible (I guess women have a problem with their hair getting messy)
  • American-made cars
  • Subaru (too many issues with my WRX to consider subaru again)
  • WRX/Evo (She's not into that style of cars)

She was interested in the G35/350z for a while, but I think their appeal has worn off.

Feel free to suggest whatever you like. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi A4/S4? Fits your criteria.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by BBY2KS2K
Audi A4/S4? Fits your criteria.
Yeah, those aren't bad choices. We had looked at Audi a while back, but never took the plunge (I had the A4 1.8t on order, but backed out of it and got the s2k). I'll put those on my lists to look up.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:05 PM

Nothing wrong with the G35 coupe, 6 speed manual, with the aero package and brembo's. my gf bought one and she loves it to death. Has a great stock exhaust sound, hugs the road... not quite a small zippy thing by any means but more of a sturdy monster.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Acura TSX A-Spec;power, vinese, and refined .I'd opt for the 6speed
Old 04-06-2004, 05:40 PM

Out of interest, why no Porsche? Although with a 30-40K price range you really can't get much that Porsche offers.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:45 PM

I'm not sure why she doesn't like Porsche. My next car is going to be the 911 turbo, but I have a few years of saving before that'll happen

So far the list now includes -

- Audi A4/S4
- Acura TSX A-Spec
- G35 coupe
Old 04-06-2004, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Jaykkub
I'm not sure why she doesn't like Porsche. My next car is going to be the 911 turbo, but I have a few years of saving before that'll happen

- Audi A4/S4
- Acura TSX A-Spec
- G35 coupe
Don't you guys mean the Acura TL A-Spec. I don't think there is such a thing as TSX A-Spec. The TL A-Spec is an awesome car. I drove one last week. Awesome engine and the interior is beautiful. The TL A-Spec looks unbelieveable and suspension makes a world of difference. Good thing about Acura also, everything is included. No options are needed, except if you want a different trunk mat, all season floor mats, body kit or different wheels. XM satellite radio also is STANDARD on all TL's and the Bose system is these cars is amazing. For the money, I don't think you can get any better than the TL out of the choices you have listed so far.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:16 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very good choices listed so far. I'll go off in two odd directions with cars that you may not like at all.

FX35. I love the G35 coupe but after driving the FX35 I forgot all about the fact that's it's also a useful SUV. Very sporty overall.

My main choice for a zippy car would be a Mini Cooper S with the JCW (Works) package. Super zippy, quick, FUN, and useful. This car would be a blast to own.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Jaykkub

- Audi A4/S4
- Acura TSX A-Spec
- G35 coupe
Well, all I can say is that Porsches are beautiful cars. Now, I may be a little biased, seeing as my parents both own wonderful Porsches (and a new, very, very special one is on the way), but honestly if the Boxster Coupe were out it would be perfect for what it sounds like she wants.

That having been said, the only Porsche she can probably get for $40K is the base Boxster, and you can definitely do better than that. Tell her to take another look at the 350Z and the G35, both great imports. Also, have you thought at all about the Lexus SC430? Maybe a little high out of your price range but she may like it, especially if you're willing to shop used. Also...has she taken a look at the Mazda RX-8? I'm not sure how much raw speed you're going get out of it, but it being a 2-door sporty coupe with a decent bit of power, it may be right up her alley as well.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions - Zippy car for my wife