Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need a new SUV

Old 02-25-2015, 03:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would hold off until this summer when the new Pilot comes out. I'm on my 2nd one (1st one, put 170k+ miles on it, my current 2011 now has 110k mole on it and still running great.).
The now set Pilot will have a 6 speed Trany, but the upgrade version will get a 9 speed with paddle shifters, and will be slight over 300 HP and better gas mileage.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Space, my limit is 20k out the door or less. I won't be able to afford a new pilot.
Old 02-25-2015, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the Santa Fe - space is great. It's got one of the more livable 3rd rows I've been in outside of a minivan and has the best second row space of any car I've been in - we have a big rear-facing car seat installed and it doesn't touch the driver seat even in the furthest back position. Trunk space is adequate, not as big as a CX-9 or new Highlander, which was also on our short list, but competitive with the Pilot, MDX, etc. You're not going to be carting around giant stroller (we have a baby jogger - it's massive) without dropping one of the rear seats in any of these cars.

As for reliability, everyone I know who's had a Hyundai over the past 10 years drove them into the ground without any major issues. I believe they're well above average for reliability ratings, and the warranty doesn't hurt either.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered a 15 passenger van?

How about a school bus? you should be able to pick up a used one in your price range.

If you'd be willing to stretch your budget just a bit ($100k), you should be able to pick up a new Mercedes Benz G-Wagon.

Another option is to wait for the Honda Odyssey to get paddle shifters. If the Pilot is getting them, the Odyssey should follow soon, right?
Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jdrum1

How about a school bus? you should be able to pick up a used one in your price range.

If you'd be willing to stretch your budget just a bit ($100k), you should be able to pick up a new Mercedes Benz G-Wagon.

Another option is to wait for the Honda Odyssey to get paddle shifters. If the Pilot is getting them, the Odyssey should follow soon, right?
The sarcasm is strong with this one.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Heavens Wing
Originally Posted by Jdrum1' timestamp='1424874415' post='23518467

The sarcasm is strong with this one.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:21 AM

Doing paperwork on the rdx now.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:44 AM

Awesome!

Can't imagine that you won't be anything but happy with it.

So far, I've put in all weather mats and new tires on it.

Will change the plugs soon (have to remove the intercooler), and eventually do the Reflash and Intake (CPE or K&N FIPK).

Not many SUV's with a factory boost gauge!
Old 02-25-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman13
On the Santa Fe - space is great. It's got one of the more livable 3rd rows I've been in outside of a minivan and has the best second row space of any car I've been in - we have a big rear-facing car seat installed and it doesn't touch the driver seat even in the furthest back position. Trunk space is adequate, not as big as a CX-9 or new Highlander, which was also on our short list, but competitive with the Pilot, MDX, etc. You're not going to be carting around giant stroller (we have a baby jogger - it's massive) without dropping one of the rear seats in any of these cars.

As for reliability, everyone I know who's had a Hyundai over the past 10 years drove them into the ground without any major issues. I believe they're well above average for reliability ratings, and the warranty doesn't hurt either.
Thanks for the info. I guess we ought to check out the highlander as well. 3rd row seating would be very handy when family is over and we can all just cram in one car to goto a restaurant. Road trips using the third row I'd probably opt to get a hitch mounted storage container for extra crap.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Well the MDX and RDX get nearly the same MPG. Based on my experience with turbo'd motors I won't touch another. If they fail without warning they normally take out your motor too. At 140k it better have a new turbo. You should be replacing them around 100K. It's by no means cheap servicing.

Quick Reply: Need a new SUV