Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need a new SUV

Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heavens Wing
Thanks guys. Did a little more research on the CX-9. Seems to be very hit or miss and I'm not much of a gambling man. We're going to drive a CRV and a RAV4 tomorrow. Will report back on what we choose.

Don't count the CX-9 out without driving it. We've had our '07 for the past 5 years and it's an incredible car and we haven't had a single issue in 93K miles. Just got it checked at CarMax to get quote for trade in and all mechanical items checked out fine. Undecided whether to sell or hold on to due to the reliability and roominess.

The CX-7 is a great car too, my sister has had hers for several years but the CX-5 is better and gets better mpg. I would get a CX-5 or even the new Nissan Rogue over a CR-V or Rav 4.

There are killer clearance deals on pilots, my other sister just got a 2015 with 0 miles for $24K out the door including TT&L! That's cheaper than most of the compact suvs.

Last option, I just bought my dad a '13 FJ Cruiser and we are in love with it! Was a bit more than I wanted to spend but the prices have shot up due to demand since they stopped production. I would recommend looking at FJ's if it's just you and the wife to get away from the typical suv and into something more "unique" and will hold its value and last a long time.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman13
My wife and I just purchased a 2014 3-row Hyundai Santa Fe, and we're in love with the car.

We could not be happier with it. It's extremely quiet and has great road manners, and the power is there with the V6. We bought ours in Limited trim with the tech package which gives you essentially everything except lane keep and radar cruise, lightly used for $30k. They have a 2-row version as well with an I4 and a turbo-4 option. You could probably pick up a 2013 Santa Fe Sport with the regular motor pretty close to $20k. The previous generation is pretty good too, I had a buddy who's GF drove one for years and abused the hell out of it, you just couldn't kill it.
Interesting.. I just googled it, I had no idea they made a 3 row (longer) Santa Fe. Wife has a 2012 Tucson that we've been happy with. About my only complaint thus far has more to do with Hyundai's service centers/dealers. There aren't as many, and they seem less savvy/sharp than Honda dealers/service centers (had to bring the car back a couple times due to a/c not working that well). They also don't have nice helms manuals available and near as many DIY/forums on how to do things compared to honda.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Interesting.. I just googled it, I had no idea they made a 3 row (longer) Santa Fe. Wife has a 2012 Tucson that we've been happy with. About my only complaint thus far has more to do with Hyundai's service centers/dealers. There aren't as many, and they seem less savvy/sharp than Honda dealers/service centers (had to bring the car back a couple times due to a/c not working that well). They also don't have nice helms manuals available and near as many DIY/forums on how to do things compared to honda.
Yeah, they killed the Veracruz, and just split the Santa Fe into the standard (3-row) and the Sport (2-row). We haven't had to go in for service yet, but I've never had really high expectations for dealership service outside of a luxury brand.

Honestly, if our ownership experience turns out good, I'll probably pick myself up a CPO Genesis AWD to daily once the Santa Fe is paid off. I loved it at the DC auto show, is looks great and has enough power and luxury to keep me happy without breaking the bank.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by duffman13
Yeah, they killed the Veracruz, and just split the Santa Fe into the standard (3-row) and the Sport (2-row). We haven't had to go in for service yet, but I've never had really high expectations for dealership service outside of a luxury brand.

Honestly, if our ownership experience turns out good, I'll probably pick myself up a CPO Genesis AWD to daily once the Santa Fe is paid off. I loved it at the DC auto show, is looks great and has enough power and luxury to keep me happy without breaking the bank.
Ya very true.. I'm no fan of dealerships in general, perhaps my expectations were too high to begin with. Just curious how your Santa Fe compares to say a Pilot for the 3rd row and storage space behind it. Never considered the Santa Fe but we definitely will now when the time comes. The 10 yr powertrain warranty is nice reassurance, especially with Honda's V6's trannies having issues later in their life.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How reliable is Hyundai? I haven't really heard much from them.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:32 PM

From what I heard and read it's not so much that they're reliable but they do have an excellent warranty.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:39 PM

Well, my wife and I looked at a slew of cars. And our favorite? The Acura MDX/RDX. I think we're going for an RDX since it's just her and I (no kids.) and it will be plenty for us. We found a 1 owner 2010 SH-AWD with Tech package 72k miles for 17.4k. We're going to look at it tomorrow if the weather is good and maybe make a deal.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my '09.

I recently got it (Black Friday), and still can't get over how fun it is for a CUV. I'm not saying it drives like an s2k, but it likes corners and the turbo is a blast.

I purchased mine with 140k on the clock. it was more miles than I was looking to buy, but it was just too clean to pass up, and the price was right ($9k, and that's with the tech package). The (one) previous owner babied it. it looks much closer to a new car, than a used car with 6 digits on the odometer. The only non-maintenance repair was an AC recharge. Not bad for 140k miles!

I plan to send the ecu off for a Reflash, and maybe put an intake on. I'd love an exhaust, but the only aftermarket option is fairly pricey.

For me, it's the perfect daily companion to my s.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:16 PM

wow a 09 rdx for 9k...where can i find one
Old 02-25-2015, 03:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermonster
wow a 09 rdx for 9k...where can i find one
Trade off for the miles.

Quick Reply: Need a new SUV