Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need a new car, 40K limit

Old 10-09-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlX Boi,Oct 9 2006, 04:13 AM
The TL is an astonishing car. I know 5 non-car enthusiast people who own it and they all love it, so no real bias there. If you don't care about asthetics and that TLs are all over hte place, it's a good choice. I would go for the BMW as well, though I would always feel that I got the average one. I really hate the sedan look too. I'm assuming you're looking for sedan by your two choices.
I am really leaning toward the tls, its 38K and it seeks like a decent car. Thanks for your input
Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by hyun83,Oct 9 2006, 11:20 AM
I'm trying to keep my spending to a minimal[in terms of my income] because although I love my cars, I dont want to spend too much money on a depreciating "assset." When I have more coming through, I will purchase a car where money is not an issue. Until then, 40K will have to be the limit.

The only qualm I have with the IS, is that the interior is so similar to the interior of the camry. I know its kinda on the same platform, however its not something I am very fond of. Did anyone else notice how cheap/ghetto the buttons on the center dash looks? The green illumination? ehh my 2 cents.
Also from a good distance, i always mistaken the IS as being a MAZDA.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:23 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe it's just me, but if I was planning to add "an immense amount of miles" to a car, I don't think I'd buy a new $40k sedan. Are you paying for the gas? What's an immense amount of miles? 25k/yr? 50k? 75k? Are you paying for the car, or is it a company car?

A 2yr old car of any make with, say, 100k miles on it will have incredible depreciation. Unless this is a company car you will return when you are through with it, I'd avoid spending too much money because you will likely be losing 50% or more after 2 years. Get a new Kia Rio every year or something, and spend the rest on your fun car.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by hyun83,Oct 9 2006, 12:20 PM
I'm trying to keep my spending to a minimal[in terms of my income] because although I love my cars, I dont want to spend too much money on a depreciating "assset." When I have more coming through, I will purchase a car where money is not an issue. Until then, 40K will have to be the limit.

The only qualm I have with the IS, is that the interior is so similar to the interior of the camry. I know its kinda on the same platform, however its not something I am very fond of. Did anyone else notice how cheap/ghetto the buttons on the center dash looks? The green illumination? ehh my 2 cents.
I thought it was the ES that was similar to the Camry. I'm pretty sure the IS is totally different.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by kadeshpa,Oct 9 2006, 12:24 PM
I thought it was the ES that was similar to the Camry. I'm pretty sure the IS is totally different.
The ES is very simliar to the Camry. [and they are on the same platform, my bad]
I wouldnt go an and say that the IS is totally different. What I was trying to say was that they were similar in subtle ways. ie.the interior.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Oct 9 2006, 12:23 PM
Maybe it's just me, but if I was planning to add "an immense amount of miles" to a car, I don't think I'd buy a new $40k sedan. Are you paying for the gas? What's an immense amount of miles? 25k/yr? 50k? 75k? Are you paying for the car, or is it a company car?

A 2yr old car of any make with, say, 100k miles on it will have incredible depreciation. Unless this is a company car you will return when you are through with it, I'd avoid spending too much money because you will likely be losing 50% or more after 2 years. Get a new Kia Rio every year or something, and spend the rest on your fun car.
I'll be putting about 30K miles a year on the car and gas will be paid for.
And although a Kia Rio seems very enticing, i'm making decent money not to drive that car around.[not saying there is anything wrong witht that car] Hence why I am looking for a car for 40k. Thanks for the inmput.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:33 AM

There's only one choice, IMO. The 335i. The base Euro delivery price is $35,900. If you just add the sports package (which I think is around $1,200), you're at $37,000. If you need leather, you can still keep it under $40,000 (I think leather is around another $1,400). I'm sure some people will whine about the lack of features, but screw features. Buy the best CAR you can afford, not the best collection of gadgets/gimmicks. A car should be bought to drive, not to play with its buttons. And, for this purpose, I highly doubt there is any serious competition for the 335i at this price. I've also heard dealers are more willing to deal on Euro delivery since it does not cut into their regular allocation (that is, they're not losing any profit on a vehicle they could be selling to someone else who isn't as cheap as me).

Stack, why would you want to suffer through a Kia Rio if you're going to be living in the car? It seems totally counter-intuitive to me to buy a far less desirable/enjoyable car because you will be spending more time in/driving it. I do agree, though, that if the miles are gonna be rather high, he should anticipate keeping the car for a while. There's nothing inherently wrong with miles if the car is treated and maintained well, IMO, and I doubt I'd grow tired of the 335i.

Oh, and IS is not a Camry. The ES is. The IS, I believe, is a shortened version of the GS platform. Of course the IS is RWD, while the ES is FWD. Not much is shared with the Camry. The engine family may be the same, but the IS has direct injection and probably some other stuff.

Get the Bimmer.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd probably opt for the Lexus. Since most of the miles seem like they'll be spent on the highway, I can't imagine a better cruiser under 40k.

Now on the other hand, if the miles are mostly curves, then hell yes, get the Bimmer.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=bjohnston,Oct 9 2006, 02:33 PM]Stack, why would you want to suffer through a Kia Rio if you're going to be living in the car?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For 30k miles a year just get the new Hyundai Sonata if you really need the luxury. It's gutless but dude, your putting on lots of miles EVEN IF your making decent money.

Save it.

Plus that 100k warranty comes in HANDY.

You might also want to lease since after 3 years the car will be DEAD with the driving your doing (and if you can somehow get a deal to have them extend the mileage).

If you don't care about luxury then seriously just get cheapie.

Take it from experience, you'll be angry with yourself if you splurge on a 40k car that will be gettin beat with 30k/year miles.

Oh yeah and if your doing highway miles then you might also want a soft setup. You can find those Marquis (crown vic) for 10-12k if you look hard enough.

Summary: for a 30k miles/year road warrior a Sonota is luxury. Anything cheaper and less is optimal and avoids buyers remorse. Plus financially it's smart. Anything more and your burning cash as another poster has pointed out.

Burning it man...burning it.

Quick Reply: Need a new car, 40K limit