Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need Help Picking A Car

Old 07-16-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Picking A Car

Basically, I'll be going to Georgia in about 2 weeks. My S is staying here with my sis (cross fingers she doesn't wreck it) and I'm going to buy a new car once in Georgia. THe thing is this car is going to be for my dad once I get back to California in December.

I haven't had a lot of experience with cars so I thought I'd post here. My dads about 55 and drives a buick lesabre right now so any car would be a step up for him.

He doesn't really mind what "we" get and told me to pick one out for him. Oh yeah and it has to have an automatic transmission. So far I've considered the IS300, GS300, Subaru legacy, BMW 3 series, TSX, TL, Accord.

If anyone has any other suggestions or any first hand knowledge about these cars that would be great. I'm going to go test drive with my dad this weekend and I just wanted to compile a list of cars to drive before heading out there. Thanks.

Rich
Old 07-16-2004, 01:20 PM

All of those cars are great choices but that's a pretty wide range of cars. If money isn't an issue then go with the 3 series. BMW makes a phenomenal car and the 3 series is still the car the other manufacturers aim for. A well optioned 330i can run into the $40K+ neighborhood. The new TL is a personal favorite as well. The only thing that I don't like is the one I drove was a loaded 6 speed and it was almost $37K which puts it in BMW price range. If the TL were significantly less I might choose it but it's FWD which is one strike IMO and then to be the same price. Makes it an easy choice. The GS and IS are both great cars but are just zero fun to drive in stock trim as is the Accord. You might also consider the G35 Sedan. I personally don't like the looks of the car but they are phenomenal cars for the money.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by okokok,Jul 16 2004, 01:01 PM
Basically, I'll be going to Georgia in about 2 weeks. My S is staying here with my sis (cross fingers she doesn't wreck it) and I'm going to buy a new car once in Georgia. THe thing is this car is going to be for my dad once I get back to California in December.

I haven't had a lot of experience with cars so I thought I'd post here. My dads about 55 and drives a buick lesabre right now so any car would be a step up for him.

He doesn't really mind what "we" get and told me to pick one out for him. Oh yeah and it has to have an automatic transmission. So far I've considered the IS300, GS300, Subaru legacy, BMW 3 series, TSX, TL, Accord.

If anyone has any other suggestions or any first hand knowledge about these cars that would be great. I'm going to go test drive with my dad this weekend and I just wanted to compile a list of cars to drive before heading out there. Thanks.

Rich
out of those get the TL. Roomy, luxurious, and should be reliable.

IS300 (too small), GS300 (new model coming out next year), Subaru legacy (reliability? compared to lexus, BMW, honda), BMW 3 series (dated), TSX (too small?), TL, Accord.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:12 PM

get a 330ci... drove the convertible and it is really nice...
Old 07-17-2004, 08:52 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The Passat is nice I have one for 5 years now V6.

I really like the new Legacy/Outback with the 2.5L turbo, that's probably my recomendation or the G35.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

For some reason my mom really wants a lexus...go figure.

My favorites are the TL, G35 coupe, and subaru legacy (pending test drive).

Gonne go car shopping tomorrow so we'll see what comes up...I'll see if I can't push my parents to get an m3 ..Any other suggestions welcome.

Rich
Old 07-17-2004, 03:20 PM

well m3 doesn't come with automatic transmission, and tsx is too small(same with is300), g35 coupe is not fit for old people imo

so nice choice would be 330ci convertible (if money is not an issue)
330i, and 330xi are ugly though imo so don't get 3series sedan

it fits both young, and old people well

if money IS the issue here... TL would be nice
Old 07-17-2004, 04:39 PM

Among the cars you listed, TL is my suggestion.

Other than that, RX330 and G35 sedan would be great choices also. If price isn't an issue, how about E320 or 530i or even 545i? I don't know, all these are excellent cars. GS300 is good, but a new generation is coming out soon, but I am sure you can get a great deal on it.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

given that you are only going to be driving this car for less than 5 months, i think you should let your dad choose which car to get since he will be the one to drive the thing in the long run. given that your dad drives a la sabre, he might appreciate owning and driving something that is more smooth, and quiet. so if your mom insists on a lexus, then maybe an ES or even an LS would be more suited for him. sure, those cars may not be any fun for you to drive, but you still have an s2000 waiting for you when you get back to california. my advice is to be considerate and choose the car that is right for your dad, and not yourself. sure a 330i with sports package or g35 may suit your driving style better, but the ride quality of those cars may be too harsh for your dad's taste, and why would you want to subject your poor dad to years of discomfort, just so you can have a few months of satisfaction...
Old 07-18-2004, 04:40 AM

I think a Lexus would be perfect for your father. Lexus makes great quality cars that tend not to need servicing frequently. Sure, they are boring but old people dig it. They don't need a car that will always be in the shop. The last time I went to the Lexus dealership, I saw nothing but old people sitting around in the service lounge. They enjoyed it too since they were eating donuts, drinking coffee, and it seemed like it was the old country club atmosphere again. I guess this generation of old people dig the Lexus like the previous generation of old people digged Cadillac.

By the way, no offense was meant to your father and his age. My dad loves his LS430.

Quick Reply: Need Help Picking A Car