Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need a baby/gear hauler

Old 11-14-2006, 08:12 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all american cars have been ruled out, but I'd rather not purchase a Ford. Cousin had a 02 Explorer that went to shit, traded it in for the Escape Hybrid, and that too is a piece of crap.

S40 Wagon? Do you mean the V50? If so, that's a bit too small. If I were to choose a Volvo, it'd be the XC90, but that's a bit pricey.

Anyone have any more info on the new Pathfinders? Freshalloy doesnt really have that much info. How does it drive? Is it a truck disguised as an SUV like the 4Runner? How does it compare with the Pilot?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:16 AM
bkw

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Nov 14 2006, 12:08 PM
The auto Legacy GT is good - you should look at used values. Personally, I'd get a GT over a 2.5i any day. Also prob want to look at a used Audi A4 avant quattro or a Passat wagon (not awd)

For a "third car that will not see much use", I think I'd just buy used if I were you - no sense making payments on something that will basically sit around. You could just rent a Subaru or Volvo wagon from Hertz when you need it for a lot less money and hassle, but if you need an errand car, a 3 yr old car will be perfect - less expensive, yet new enough.

I'm going to guess you have an S2000, but what is the second car?
Yeah, when we test drove the Legacy, the GT was the one we wanted but could not get the numbers anywhere near what we wanted to spend.

Seriously thinking of something used, which opens up the floodgates of affordable vehicles. If we were to buy used, my first choice would be a 540it (wagon), followed by the Allroad, and next would be a used Sequoia.

I dont have the S any more. We have an 05 RL and an 06 LS430.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bkw,Nov 14 2006, 07:31 AM
Hey all,

Want to pick up a larger car for our growing family, and we definitely do not want a minivan. It'll be used sparingly due to gas prices and will fit in as the 3rd car in our stable - thus we'll be leasing one. Want something that'll work in the heavy snow and ice (snowboarding trips), and something with weight/girth (no FiT type cars), something for the occasional Home Depot/Costco/Babies R Us/Ikea run, tow bikes and a boat, and I don't want to look like a schmuck soccer dad sellout driving one . Willing to put $2500k down, and want the payments close to $250/mo, but the more money saved means more toys for me later.

1. Honda Pilot 4WD LX - $1495 down, $299mo for 36mo.
2. Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 - $1995 down, $269mo for 36mo
3. Jeep Commander - $2995 down, $99mo for 42 mo
4. Subaru Legacy/Outback 2.5i - $0 down, $275/$289mo for 42 mo
5. Subaru Forester X 2.5i - $3k down, $219 for 24mo
6. Toyota 4runner - $2199 down, $299 for 36mo
7. Toyota FJ Cruiser - dont know the lease prices yet, but cant be that much for the base.

So which one would you choose and why not the others?

And before anyone posts, "Subaru Legacy GT Wagon", I've already tried. It's a bit out of our price range that I want to pay for a third car.
Thanks!
I'd go with the pathfinder

It looks alot better lease than the 4runner.

The Legacy and Forester really aren't that big, and the Commander might be a bit too large.

The Pathfinder should be a great all-rounder, with that sturdy alpha Titan frame and true off road capablities, along with independent rear suspension and good driving comfort.

Room is better than the 4Runner, which seems to have a really high floor and really low roof.

The Pilot is alot more car like, and might not be able to handle some of the heavier towing for your boat and hauling.

BTW how big is your boat?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:31 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

If you're willing to look at used, the BMW is an awesome wagon. Good size and its a great first car imo. Since you have two sedans already, maybe you or your wife would be happy selling one of the sedans and just having a more capable second car? Two sedans plus something w/ awd and slightly bigger seems like an odd mix to me... how does the +1 feel about having a wagon as a daily driver?
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Its true the Legacy/Outback aren't 'big' but they are decent. It depends on what you need.

The Legacy wagon has some weight to it but its not too big either. can fit 4 regular size adults.

The benifit of a Legacy or OB over a true SUV is gas mileage. The Legacy/OB weighs 3300 lbs.

I have a non-turbo Legacy and am getting 27 mpg (or about 400 miles per fill-up) try that in a SUV. And it uses regular gas.

I have a MT which I love I don't know how the AT is with the Legacy. But I highly recomend the Legacy/OB wagon, I got my Legacy 2.5i wagon for just a bit over $20K. You can see my review down a bit in this forum.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by bkw,Nov 14 2006, 12:12 PM
S40 Wagon? Do you mean the V50? If so, that's a bit too small. If I were to choose a Volvo, it'd be the XC90, but that's a bit pricey.

Anyone have any more info on the new Pathfinders? Freshalloy doesnt really have that much info. How does it drive? Is it a truck disguised as an SUV like the 4Runner? How does it compare with the Pilot?
Yeah, I meant the V50, couldn't think of the name of it. It's the same size as the forester you're considering.

I'd steer clear of the Pathfinder. My buddy upgraded from the new Pathfinder to the Infiniti QX56. He hates both of them and will not buy another Nissan. He loved the motors but everything else just kept falling apart. The car was just not put together well. If you're leery of Ford products, I'd keep away from Nissan SUVs as well.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:04 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you thought about the Mazda CX7? I drove one about 100 miles last week and liked it pretty darned well. Also a lightly used Cadillac SRX can be had a great price and they drive very well.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM

I would highly recommend checking out a Freestyle. They can be had in AWD and are quite nice as a people hauler. Bro's had one since they first came out. No issues with it.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by CG,Nov 14 2006, 01:04 PM
Have you thought about the Mazda CX7? I drove one about 100 miles last week and liked it pretty darned well. Also a lightly used Cadillac SRX can be had a great price and they drive very well.
CX7 is cool but if you do have the boat, towing capacity is only 2000 pounds.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:24 PM

The biggest thing you are going to have to worry about is the towing of a boat. How big/small is the boat? If it's a full sized boat I wouldn't tow it with anything on your list. I would get a truck.

-Me the minivan (and evo) driving sellout schmuck. I will give you one guess which is easier with the baby....

Quick Reply: Need a baby/gear hauler