Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need a baby/gear hauler

Old 11-14-2006, 06:31 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a baby/gear hauler

Hey all,

Want to pick up a larger car for our growing family, and we definitely do not want a minivan. It'll be used sparingly due to gas prices and will fit in as the 3rd car in our stable - thus we'll be leasing one. Want something that'll work in the heavy snow and ice (snowboarding trips), and something with weight/girth (no FiT type cars), something for the occasional Home Depot/Costco/Babies R Us/Ikea run, tow bikes and a boat, and I don't want to look like a schmuck soccer dad sellout driving one . Willing to put $2500k down, and want the payments close to $250/mo, but the more money saved means more toys for me later.

1. Honda Pilot 4WD LX - $1495 down, $299mo for 36mo.
2. Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 - $1995 down, $269mo for 36mo
3. Jeep Commander - $2995 down, $99mo for 42 mo
4. Subaru Legacy/Outback 2.5i - $0 down, $275/$289mo for 42 mo
5. Subaru Forester X 2.5i - $3k down, $219 for 24mo
6. Toyota 4runner - $2199 down, $299 for 36mo
7. Toyota FJ Cruiser - dont know the lease prices yet, but cant be that much for the base.

So which one would you choose and why not the others?

And before anyone posts, "Subaru Legacy GT Wagon", I've already tried. It's a bit out of our price range that I want to pay for a third car.
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Bought my Outback yesterday. I love it. Its only been one day though so there is some bias.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention, all these cars will have to come with an AUTOMATIC transmission. Wife cannot drive manual, thus the Subies in auto are quite boring. Then again, anything in auto sucks.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by bkw,Nov 14 2006, 09:40 AM
Forgot to mention, all these cars will have to come in an AUTOMATIC transmission. Wife cannot drive manual, thus the Subies in auto are quite boring.
Go drive an Outback XT limited auto. I got the stick, but even the auto is quite entertaining and the interior features are so nice. There are still 06's in my town with $3,250 in total rebates if you include dealer cash. But an XT limited auto will sticker for $33k, I think the local dealers are trying to sell them for $26,500.

CNN Money basically trashed the Toyota FJ the other day. With the exception of its rock solid reliability and off road ability, everything I have read sounds like it is a turd on the road with very poor visability. I crawled around one at the dealer but did not drive and it just looks as if it is hella clumsy.

Given your choices, if you rule out subies I go Pilot.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Also, I know I will get ripped for this, but if you just want to save some money on a cheap lease, it would not kill you to take a Torrent for a spin. They are giving them away. It won't win any races, but I drove one and really liked it, very carlike, tows 3500 pounds with fair MPG's. The downside is the ancient engine.

But they can be leased REALLY cheap and if you hate the the thing, its gone in 36 months. As a third car, you wont have to put up with it that much.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Jeep 4-door unlimited.?.?.? It's supposed to ride nicely and it'll get the job done with towing and whatnot. Pretty sure it's availabel in auto. Although 15-18mpg could suck.
I've driven a forester auto. The interior was nice and it has a decent ride. It was a customer car so I couldn't rag on it too bad.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:08 AM

Pilot is going to be outdated next year. The FJ is NOT a family mobile. Therefore I would go with Nissan pathfinder or Murano, Outback or 4 runner.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:23 AM

Of the choices you listed, I'd go Pathfinder. Pilot seems very dated to me, same with Highlander and 4Runner (I've also driven my neighbor's 4Runner and didn't like it). For your needs (hauling, towing, etc.), I'm not sure the Legacy/Outback/Forester offers enough space/power/utility for you. They're fairly small cars, and the 2.5 n/a four doesn't serve up much power or torque. Commander is just hideous, and the FJ seems lame to me.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:26 AM

If you're looking at a Forester, then check out the Volvo S40 wagon as well(a little bigger than the Forester). Rav4 (instead of the FJ)? Are you dead set against American cars? If not, check out the new Ford Edge, great engine (based on specs) and looks pretty good too. Decent pricing for it as well.

I'm in the same boat as you (kid due end of this month), I have an Accord (which I LOVE) and will probably go with either a Forester, Legacy Wagon or CRV.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

The auto Legacy GT is good - you should look at used values. Personally, I'd get a GT over a 2.5i any day. Also prob want to look at a used Audi A4 avant quattro or a Passat wagon (not awd)

For a "third car that will not see much use", I think I'd just buy used if I were you - no sense making payments on something that will basically sit around. You could just rent a Subaru or Volvo wagon from Hertz when you need it for a lot less money and hassle, but if you need an errand car, a 3 yr old car will be perfect - less expensive, yet new enough.

I'm going to guess you have an S2000, but what is the second car?

Quick Reply: Need a baby/gear hauler