Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

need advice on AWD vehicle

Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Legacy is a step up in quality over the Impreza and Forrester lines. I once had a Legacy GT wagon, 5 speed manual that was solid runner and much more fun to drive than the regular Forrester I drive often in the winter. Forrester has an outstanding seating position that is the easiest car to get in and out of I have ever driven.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie' timestamp='1380526484' post='22802791
i'm planning on buying a used AWD vehicle to use for driving to and from tahoe for snowboarding this winter. my budget is $5K or less. i initially had my mind set on a mini SUV such as a CRV, RAV4, or Escape. my goal is to be able to get to and from the mountains under whatever weather conditions i encounter without having to worry about using chains or winter tires. recently someone suggested that i get a subaru since their AWD system make them more effective in the snow. i don't mind having a subaru, but i kinda prefer a mini SUV. so for anyone with knowledge and experience with AWD vehicles, will vehicles like the CRV perform fine in the snow without winter tires? or is my friend right, and i will be better off with a subaru? also, are there other AWD vehicles within my price range that you guys recommend? keep in mind, i am not interested in mid/full size SUVs or pickups.
You want a beater SUV without snow tires or chains to drive to Tahoe constantly. So let's say decent all season tires and AWD. This ain't gonna end well. Everything around Tahoe is a chain control area.

Some Q&A from CalTran............

If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

If I have snow tires, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on passenger vehicles equipped with snow tires at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (one pair) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

If I have snow tires on a heavy-duty commercial vehicle, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. There is no exemption for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) equipped with snow tires. Chains must be installed on heavy-duty commercial vehicles whenever chain controls are posted.

If I have studded snow tires, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction devices and may not be used in lieu of chains.

Is “all-wheel drive” the same as 4-wheel drive?
Yes. Even though all-wheel drive systems may differ mechanically from conventional 4- wheel drive systems, for the purposes of chain control, all-wheel drive is considered the same as 4-wheel drive.

The manufacturer of my vehicle recommends that chains not be installed on it. Do I still have to put on chains?
Yes. Many vehicles which will not accommodate conventional link-type chains will accommodate cable chains or other devices such as “Spikes Spider.” If your vehicle is not equipped with some type of tire traction device, it is neither safe nor lawful for you to enter a chain control area. If you choose not to install tire traction devices on your vehicle, you may not enter a chain control area.

Here's a list of CalTran chain control highways.......
My link

You'll be stopped and turned back before you get anywhere near Tahoe without snow tires and chains on board. CalTran ain't doing this to break your balls. They're doing it to keep you alive and first responders from having to retrieve your corpse. Good god man a set of chains is $50-$250. A set of Michelin Xice3 is maybe $400 for a CRV. You'll spend more on lift tickets.
Agreed.

And to answer the OP's question about snow tires, yes you can drive in non-snow conditions with them. Just avoid warm weather with them, as that will accelerate tread wear.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie
Originally Posted by EVAN&MONICA' timestamp='1380563406' post='22803661
This little Subaru is the 2.5rs Impreza. It has a naturally aspirated 2.5 liter boxer engine and AWD; this model (2001) only has an LSD in the rear diff. It gets through snow/ice, with snow tires, better than anything I've ever driven! It's so much fun and confidence inspiring in snow I love passing full sized trucks like they are minivans this little car is unstoppable!

Evan

cool! does that thing have fold down rear seats so you can slide a couple of snowboards through without having to install a roof rack?
Unfortunately no, it doesnt . But there is a conversion that I may try in the next year or so that I will try that should allow such a thing Some people swap in the sti JDM same year rear seats, and others swap in the rear seats from any of the new sti or wrx sedans; not sure which I will do yet

Evan
Old 10-01-2013, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually all seasons plus a set of chains when needed isn't bad. After getting stuck in an unexpected May snow storm near Tahoe I have a set of chains for my car. They take up very little trunk space but I kind of doubt I will use then again in the next 10 years!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie' timestamp='1380526484' post='22802791
i'm planning on buying a used AWD vehicle to use for driving to and from tahoe for snowboarding this winter. my budget is $5K or less. i initially had my mind set on a mini SUV such as a CRV, RAV4, or Escape. my goal is to be able to get to and from the mountains under whatever weather conditions i encounter without having to worry about using chains or winter tires. recently someone suggested that i get a subaru since their AWD system make them more effective in the snow. i don't mind having a subaru, but i kinda prefer a mini SUV. so for anyone with knowledge and experience with AWD vehicles, will vehicles like the CRV perform fine in the snow without winter tires? or is my friend right, and i will be better off with a subaru? also, are there other AWD vehicles within my price range that you guys recommend? keep in mind, i am not interested in mid/full size SUVs or pickups.
You want a beater SUV without snow tires or chains to drive to Tahoe constantly. So let's say decent all season tires and AWD. This ain't gonna end well. Everything around Tahoe is a chain control area.

Some Q&A from CalTran............

If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

If I have snow tires, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on passenger vehicles equipped with snow tires at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (one pair) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

If I have snow tires on a heavy-duty commercial vehicle, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. There is no exemption for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) equipped with snow tires. Chains must be installed on heavy-duty commercial vehicles whenever chain controls are posted.

If I have studded snow tires, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Studded snow tires are not considered tire traction devices and may not be used in lieu of chains.

Is “all-wheel drive” the same as 4-wheel drive?
Yes. Even though all-wheel drive systems may differ mechanically from conventional 4- wheel drive systems, for the purposes of chain control, all-wheel drive is considered the same as 4-wheel drive.

The manufacturer of my vehicle recommends that chains not be installed on it. Do I still have to put on chains?
Yes. Many vehicles which will not accommodate conventional link-type chains will accommodate cable chains or other devices such as “Spikes Spider.” If your vehicle is not equipped with some type of tire traction device, it is neither safe nor lawful for you to enter a chain control area. If you choose not to install tire traction devices on your vehicle, you may not enter a chain control area.

Here's a list of CalTran chain control highways.......
My link

You'll be stopped and turned back before you get anywhere near Tahoe without snow tires and chains on board. CalTran ain't doing this to break your balls. They're doing it to keep you alive and first responders from having to retrieve your corpse. Good god man a set of chains is $50-$250. A set of Michelin Xice3 is maybe $400 for a CRV. You'll spend more on lift tickets.
I've been driving that pass for years with AWD. Not one time when chains were required have I had to put them on an AWD or 4x4 vechile.

The chain control is for 2WD or non-snow tires.

If you have all seasons and AWD/4x4 you're going over the the pass without chains.

OP - the CRV would be my under power pick. We're looking to get an MDX next year because after researching I want more truck then a CRV/RAV4 to move the family around. Both both CRV/RAV4 are budget picks and return decent MPG.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Originally Posted by Dizings2k' timestamp='1380544190' post='22802970
Trailblazers are absolute JUNK.

Youll be fine with a CRV and snow tires. CRV's are reliable, cheap, small wheels (cheap tires) and good on gas, obviously I'm referring to an AWD model.
He asked if a CRV withOUT snow tires would be okay. And I would say if you are buying an SUV specifically for driving in snowy conditions why would you skimp on the most important part???

Get snow tires, don't be silly. And get a Scooby.
I own a Scooby and their AWD system is by far one of the most over marketed piece of crap systems out there. 05 Legacy GT Limited Auto got stuck when the passenger side tire was lifted slightly bleeding all the power out that wheel.

It's basically a glorified FWD system. Don't let anyone fool you.

If you cannot lock a center diff, you're going to get stuck given enough snow. Also subi uses a viscis rear diff which opens up when hot.

Two open diffs = Jeep 4x4 tech of the 50's. Useless pile of crap.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Another vote for Subauru, CRV or Rav4.

My 07 Outback went through some serious snowstorms like a tank. No trouble at all.

Coming out of Vail this year in a pretty good snowstorm over the pass I watched a brand new Mustang GT total the thing into a guard rail. Poor guy, nothing he could do. The snow was bad and he should not have been in it in that car. I still think FWD is fine for most cases, but if I were doing lots of ski related mountain driving I would want AWD.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank, everyone, for you inputs.

i do plan on carrying chains at all times, i just don't want to have to use them every time it snows and that's why i'm in the market for a budget awd vehicle.

so you guys don't recommend the escape at all? i threw that in the list cuz it seems you can get a newer escape with lower mileage for the same price compared with a crv/rav4.

also, what vehicles have locking center diffs? will i have to step up to a mid sized SUV for that feature?

sorry for all the questions. i'm a noob when it comes to awd vehicles. i just want to make sure i get something that will suit my needs.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

If you are really taking it into the weather, how about a Land Rover Discovery? You can find plenty of 2000+ Discovery's for under 6K in good condition.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
If you are really taking it into the weather, how about a Land Rover Discovery? You can find plenty of 2000+ Discovery's for under 6K in good condition.
how reliable are those though? what about jeep cherokees? will those be good candidates as well?

Quick Reply: need advice on AWD vehicle