Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

need advice on AWD vehicle

Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need advice on AWD vehicle

i'm planning on buying a used AWD vehicle to use for driving to and from tahoe for snowboarding this winter. my budget is $5K or less. i initially had my mind set on a mini SUV such as a CRV, RAV4, or Escape. my goal is to be able to get to and from the mountains under whatever weather conditions i encounter without having to worry about using chains or winter tires. recently someone suggested that i get a subaru since their AWD system make them more effective in the snow. i don't mind having a subaru, but i kinda prefer a mini SUV. so for anyone with knowledge and experience with AWD vehicles, will vehicles like the CRV perform fine in the snow without winter tires? or is my friend right, and i will be better off with a subaru? also, are there other AWD vehicles within my price range that you guys recommend? keep in mind, i am not interested in mid/full size SUVs or pickups.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't recommend Escape, they have tranny issues, or at least do a research on which ones do and which ones don't. For around $5k I would look at Hyundai Santa Fe, Chevy Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, and Tahoe/Yukon

Now I see no mid/full size, so that leaves only Santa Fe. I've seen those with 250k miles and people say its pretty reliable and of course cheap to fix

I am in the same boat as you now, looking for cheap small SUV for my dad since his Jeep's engine died today. Last time I paid $2600 from auction for 04 Santa Fe with 130k miles in like new condition (1 owner)......same deal would be excellent for me now.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:29 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts

Trailblazers are absolute JUNK.

Youll be fine with a CRV and snow tires. CRV's are reliable, cheap, small wheels (cheap tires) and good on gas, obviously I'm referring to an AWD model.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Subaru Forrester, number one in NH and VT for a reason.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 AM

Despite much of the Subaru marketing I'm not convinced they are that much better if any that most of the other cute-utes. With all season tires and AWD you aren't going to do as well as 2WD and snow tires or chains. However, I do get that sometimes they say chains/AWD required when you don't NEED chains thus no need to put chains on just because the sign says so.

When you start looking at the various AWD systems and the BS marketing claims keep two things in mind. 1. Snow tires make a huge difference. 2. The videos where they show one tire on ice and the other on pavement are almost always designed to show what the particular competitor's system does poorly. The reality of it is even the mostly FWD Haldex systems will do nicely and many of the automatic Subaru systems are basically the same. The "symmetrical AWD" is totally marketing horse shit. Some Subi systems are very good, others are average. The symmetrical part would apply just as logically to a Ford Escape as an Outback. I suspect the reason why some places have so many Subarus is in large part marketing momentum. They are very good cars and they were first to have a large range of AWD cars/car like models at the time when others had only truck like SUVs. The others now have models that are equally good but Subaru has built the reputation and people are sticking with and recommending what has worked, not what might work. The point to all that is Subaru will almost certainly fit the bill but others will probably fit the bill JUST as well.

Personally I like the Escapes but I haven't bothered researching if they have transmission issues. CRVs are good but I suspect you will get hit with the very high Honda resale. That high resale isn't a good thing if you are buying used. The Explorers wouldn't be bad if you don't mind driving them. Their AWD system would work well in snow and included a center diff lock ability. However, I don't know if the newer models are cheap enough and the old ones were crude. Also all of them are thirsty.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Subaru Forrester, number one in NH and VT for a reason.
+1!
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 AM

CRV. ton of them out there. Some people just never let go of their CRVs. B20 motors can be rebuilt or replaced for under $1,000. It's a sister set of Legos to the other B series motors. The AWD really doesn't get that great of gas mileage though as it is a little underpowered for the weight of the car. Drop a K24 in hehe

Some people never get the valves adjusted on the B series motors so make sure you find one that hasn't been tossed around from dealer to owner to dealer a bunch and has some history.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:58 AM

I've owned 9 AWD/4WD vehicles over the past 25 years and the 07 Subaru Outback was the best smaller AWD vehicle of the bunch. I had major stability problems with the FWD-biased AWD system Ford used on my 07 Lincoln MKZ on mixed ice/clear pavement on the freeway. The Subaru handled that situation with no issues. My current 4WD vehicle is a '12 Ridgeline, which also has a FWD-biased system. I didn't encounter any stability issues with the truck last winter, but it was a pretty mild winter.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:00 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
Trailblazers are absolute JUNK.

Youll be fine with a CRV and snow tires. CRV's are reliable, cheap, small wheels (cheap tires) and good on gas, obviously I'm referring to an AWD model.
He asked if a CRV withOUT snow tires would be okay. And I would say if you are buying an SUV specifically for driving in snowy conditions why would you skimp on the most important part???

Get snow tires, don't be silly. And get a Scooby.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM

I had an 01 CRV AWD. It got through snow (with snow tires) better than most of the pickups on the mountain Super reliable, cheap and great mileage. My biggest grip might have been the Auto trans that was very indecisive on hills, it would seemingly at random change gear up and down on a long hill climb. And my rotors needed replaced every 6 months too.

^That said we replaced our CR-V with the Subaru in my sig. This little Subaru is the 2.5rs Impreza. It has a naturally aspirated 2.5 liter boxer engine and AWD; this model (2001) only has an LSD in the rear diff. It gets through snow/ice, with snow tires, better than anything I've ever driven! It's so much fun and confidence inspiring in snow I love passing full sized trucks like they are minivans this little car is unstoppable!

Evan

Quick Reply: need advice on AWD vehicle