Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need advice about winter beater

Old 10-20-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice about winter beater

Hi all! I just bought an 00 Silverstone and I've been planning on getting some winter rims+tires and driving it this winter. The budget is a little tight and so I didn't think we could afford a beater.

However, a friend of mine has a car for sale that has me thinking. It's a 93 Ford Taurus SHO. I know, it's a Ford - but: it's got a sweet engine, ABS, Airbags, FWD, 5-speed, AC/Heat, etc... it's well equipped. It has 100K miles and the engine's in great shape. All it really needs is tires, springs, and shocks - and those wouldn't be truly necessary until next winter. I could probably buy it for $2,500.

Normally I wouldn't consider it, but since I'm looking to spend 500-600 on winter rims+tires, it occurred to me that we could actually buy this car for the equivalent of $1900-$2000 (the price of the car less the 500-600 I'd be saving on rims+tires)

At that price I'm tempted. Besides not having to drive the S2K in the snow, ice, slush, and salt, it would be really convenient to have a spare vehicle for times when we're between cars (which is frequently - we're trying to sell my wife's Accord now to get an Integra - she wants something sportier, yes!), when a car's in the shop, or when my parents/in-laws/brother/etc need to borrow a car.

So, what do y'all think? Of course normally it would be a no-brainer, but remember our budget's pretty tight right now. Is it worth trying to convince my wife that this is smarter?

Thanks!
Avi
Old 10-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

I have a winter beater and I'm glad I do. Snow tires or not. I don't like the S in all our crappy Ohio weather. Mine doesn't even come out in the rain.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:41 AM

Laugh if you must, but my
Old 10-20-2003, 10:48 AM

Eltiani, thanks for the message - if I do decide to discuss this with my wife, your enthusiasm will be helpful!
Old 10-20-2003, 11:41 AM

I'm in the same boat as you. Winter rims/tires or winter beater.

With winter rims/tires, I can still drive my S year round. I didn't want a garage queen, and there are really only 3-6 days out of the winter that are REALLY bad out, and in that case, I'll either call in sick to work or bum a ride.

However, I don't usually keep cars more than a year or two. So I'd be buying winter rims/tires that I may only use one or two seasons at most.

But with a second car, I can drive that during the winter and spare my S any rock chips or accidental damage. I can take it to the store, movies, etc. and not have to worry about door dings, theft, or vandalism. I'd also have a car that would be a little more "practical"

However, with a second car, that's just one more car to insure and maintain. With luck, I could find one that didn't need much work or maintanence, but with a $2000 car, you take your chances.

Overall, I'm leaning towards getting a second car. My S is in amazing condition and I'd like to keep it that way. Just my $0.02
Old 10-20-2003, 12:34 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had an SHO several years ago. It was actually a very nice car and a great sleeper. The brakes sucked and it was hard to get a smooth start off the line unless you were very careful. I enjoyed it for a year but it wasn't sporty enough to keep me happy. The Yamaha engine was great.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

88-91 Civics are perfect for our Ohio winters.Ive never got stuck in mine and the heater is toasty warm in about 5 minutes of driving
Old 10-20-2003, 02:39 PM

Popeye, thanks for the info! However, I'm specifically thinking of this car because I've been driving it, and I know it's in great shape, and my friend needs to sell it. I don't really have the energy (mental energy) to go out and look for a car right now.

Right now I am leaning towards giving it a try. I have a feeling that my wife will not like the idea though. She's more cautious with the budget than I am - which is probably a good thing!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ElTianti
I can
Old 10-21-2003, 08:05 AM

I have a 95 civic as my beater and highly recommend a beater if you can afford it. While I put more miles on my S2000 than my civic, the civic is definitely a perfect car in situations where the S2000 is not. It's great for runs to the store, driving to work, long trips, and anytime the weather is bad. If your friend's car is really in good shape, the car shouldn't depreciate that much more as long as you don't run into too many problems. The problem with getting an old car is maintenance. You never know when something may go wrong and it can be pretty expensive at times when looked at the total value of the vehicle. I've been really lucky with my civic and hopefully you'll be lucky with the SHO if you decide to get it.

Mark