Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Need Advice

Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't afford an s2000 at 16. It's hard to afford any car at 16 if you plan on going to college, much less one of the most expensive to insure cars there is.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2K904,Oct 29 2009, 02:16 PM
yeah i was going to pay the insurance and my parents will pay for the car note, and my uncle owns a drag strip and ive been racing down the track since i was 8 years old. So i no what and what not to do. and thank you for the advice i was leaning to the s2k cause a friend(most of my fried is over 20) has a rx8 and the mpg is HORRIBLE
If you knew what to do and what not to do, then why are you even considering the cars you are? If you're planning on dragging the car, don't get the S2000. Get a Mustang GT. Much more fun on a drag strip.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by S2K904,Oct 29 2009, 02:16 PM
yeah i was going to pay the insurance and my parents will pay for the car note, and my uncle owns a drag strip and ive been racing down the track since i was 8 years old. So i no what and what not to do. and thank you for the advice i was leaning to the s2k cause a friend(most of my fried is over 20) has a rx8 and the mpg is HORRIBLE
as i said, you seem like a mustang kinda guy.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I won't speculate on your financial situation, I would highly recommend that you don't get a nice or sporty car while you are in high school. It will just make you a target for vandalism. And, more than likely, you're going to be involved in an accident at some point (whether it's your fault or someone else's). You'll be less upset if someone backs into a beater than you would be if they backed into a shiny S2000. Additionally, I'm hoping that you'll some day be going off to college, and when that time comes, you'll appreciate being able to stow a bunch of crap in your car (laundry to bring home to mom, or all of your belongings when you are moving into/out of the dorms).

I drove a 12 year old Nissan Sentra when I was in high school Yep, somebody back into it in the parking lot. And yes, it was a piece of crap that I didn't care about. But it was cheap. Cheap to buy, cheap to drive (good mpg), and cheap to maintain (tiny tires with 70K mile warranties, etc). It was a perfect car for a kid in high school.

When I started college, I upgraded to a slightly nicer Accord DX coupe that was also 10 years old at the time. Still nothing fancy, but I could fit everything I needed to survive for a semester in it. Never had to rent a moving van to move to/from the dorms.

Honestly, I'd recommend you get something along the same lines. Just an inexpensive car that will get you from point A to point B. I know that everybody wants "immediate gratification" these days, so they think they have to have the cool car, clothes, etc right now... but you'll be better off if you wait until you're out into the real world before wasting that kind of money on a nice vehicle.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a used Corolla. You're less likely to kill someone with it than a sports car.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by S2K904,Oct 29 2009, 12:16 PM
Do you know what insurance will cost?

Perhaps look into it.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:06 PM

RX-8, haul you buds
Old 10-29-2009, 04:54 PM

I got my first car at the age of 16, guess where it ended up? Junkyard. Whenever you graduate high school, and make your own money, you could then buy which ever car you wish, you'll take pride, and appreciate it more as you'll be paying for it. For now, just be happy with what your parents get you, it's not your money anyways..

on a different note, a mustang is more of a high school car...
Old 10-30-2009, 12:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

On the real though?

Get something FWD. I felt the same way you do when I was 16, and looking back, if I had an FR or MR platform, I'd have probably ended up hurting myself or someone else. In fact, it's amazing that I didn't do that in my Integra GSR

You'll still have plentry room to mod and make it semi fast and enjoy the car too. Besides, Mustangs are kinda blah...unless it's something special, in which case we arrive back at the point that several people in here are making
Old 10-31-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Civic.

You WILL crash your car before you reach 20. The difference will be between crashing at a normal speed and being grounded for two weeks by your parents, or crashing at double the limit in a fire-spewing rollover with your body parts being flung a 1/4 mile down the road from the open roof, and being grounded... permanently, by Death.

Quick Reply: Need Advice