Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NC Miata vs. S2000 CR

Old 11-18-2009, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zachismisitok,Aug 11 2009, 11:41 AM
Ask any racer, any real racer. It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile; winning's winning.

You had me??? You never had me, you never had your car!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 AM

Nice post Chris. It's the best selling sportscar for multiple reasons, and this new chassis is impressive. I'm considering transfering my spending from motorcycles to a track car; the potential costs (drive train replacement i.e.) of getting an 00 s2k for this purpose are at least 2-3 times higher than a similarly priced miata based on my preliminary research.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind also that Mazda Motorsports' parts discounts seem to be better than Honda Performance Development's. If you're building either a Miata or an S2000 as a track car, go do a couple of autocrosses in it to qualify for the discount programs.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sahtt,Nov 18 2009, 02:46 PM
Nice post Chris. It's the best selling sportscar for multiple reasons, and this new chassis is impressive. I'm considering transfering my spending from motorcycles to a track car; the potential costs (drive train replacement i.e.) of getting an 00 s2k for this purpose are at least 2-3 times higher than a similarly priced miata based on my preliminary research.
Thanks, Steve. That's largely what I've done. Tracking is just as much fun, much less dangerous, and a lot more comfortable w/o having to wear all the gear...and yes, owning/tracking a Miata is quite a bit less expensive than an S2000 - everything from insurance to tires to fuel to replacement/modification parts.

Heck, not only is my Super Duke for sale, but I've even thought about selling my dirt bike to focus completely on caged motorsports!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks for letting me catch a ride Chris! Its awesome how much speed you can carry into turn with that little beast. Lots of fun, catching up to the Z06 in the turns was awesome!! I have a bruise on left elbow from bracing myself!

@ your bluetooth phone conversation during the lap
Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 18 2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks, Steve. That's largely what I've done. Tracking is just as much fun, much less dangerous, and a lot more comfortable w/o having to wear all the gear...and yes, owning/tracking a Miata is quite a bit less expensive than an S2000 - everything from insurance to tires to fuel to replacement/modification parts.

Heck, not only is my Super Duke for sale, but I've even thought about selling my dirt bike to focus completely on caged motorsports!
Wearing gear (and other drivers to share the road with) keeps me away from motorcycles
Old 11-19-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by reedkr2,Nov 18 2009, 07:06 PM
Wearing gear (and other drivers to share the road with) keeps me away from motorcycles
Although extreme climates (like Texas has during the summer) can be an exception, with the proper high quality gear, wearing the gear itself is not a chore besides being arguably time consuming to put on and limiting in its function outside of riding (looking like a moon man at work i.e.; although that too can be avoided for the most part with choosing the right gear).

In fact, most good gear improves the riding experience. The right gear will reduce fatigue extraordinarily, improve traction in the hands and feet, provide all weather protection, and increase comfort. This is all besides the fact it saves your life/function of your body. It's probably worthwhile to note that the "good" gear I'm referring to is not cheap. I have an easy grand in gear dedicated just to near or below freezing temps, which I ride in maybe one and a half months out of the year.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

I saw a motorcycle cop in Durango riding when it was 25*F outside!