Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

NC Miata vs. S2000 CR

Old 08-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Aug 14 2009, 10:09 PM
Where, exactly? I see 3 coupes with side vents and aggressive stances, but that's about it. Anything that could be called a RX7 or NSX styling cue is something that is more probably attributed to older Corvette inspiration such as the C3 Stingray or 1963 Grand Sport. The C5's curves look more like toned down versions of the ones found on those cars as opposed to anything seen on the RX7 or NSX.

I'm not trying to start a fight; I'm just wondering what parts specifically you see as inspired by the RX7 or NSX.
Well, I'm not really sure I can pinpoint anything, but that was the thought that came to mind. Actually, I take that back, I can pinpoint a few areas, and I'm not talking the obvious like flip-up headlights. Whether or not they're derivative of older Corvettes, they still share the same styling cues as the FD and NSX.

The main thing I see is the resemblence between the FD and the C5's fenders, especially the fronts. They have that curvy, sinuous shape to them that flows from the front fenders, dips at the center where the doors are, then rises back up to the rear fenders, except that the C5 is a little more bulbous and its curves aren't as pronounced. Then there's the same curvy shape of their hoods when you look at them head on: high on the outer edges by the fenders, curving down towards the center, then curving back up at the center to form another bulge (again, with the C5 being a little more bulbous). Then, there are the small things like the vents behind the front wheels.

For the NSX, the both have that wedge shape where the rear haunches get pretty big, with the C5 being more so. If you look at it at a certain angle, you will see what I mean (I'm thinking at a front and especially rear 3/4 view). Also, both the NSX and C5 rear windows culminate to a relatively short and sharp wedge shape in the rear (as opposed to the FD's more rounded rear window). I know this design aspect (and probably some of the others) were evolved from past Corvettes but they are nevertheless very similar.

Those are the main things that I can think of off the top of my head and are most, if not all, of what I noticed many years back when the C5 was popping up in car mags month after month.

Anyway, you asked for it so there's my explanation. That's how I saw it and still see it today. As with all things viewed subjectively, it'll be different for every person.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EP Heart,Aug 14 2009, 08:41 PM
Well, I'm not really sure I can pinpoint anything, but that was the thought that came to mind. Actually, I take that back, I can pinpoint a few areas, and I'm not talking the obvious like flip-up headlights. Whether or not they're derivative of older Corvettes, they still share the same styling cues as the FD and NSX.

The main thing I see is the resemblence between the FD and the C5's fenders, especially the fronts. They have that curvy, sinuous shape to them that flows from the front fenders, dips at the center where the doors are, then rises back up to the rear fenders, except that the C5 is a little more bulbous and its curves aren't as pronounced. Then there's the same curvy shape of their hoods when you look at them head on: high on the outer edges by the fenders, curving down towards the center, then curving back up at the center to form another bulge (again, with the C5 being a little more bulbous). Then, there are the small things like the vents behind the front wheels.

For the NSX, the both have that wedge shape where the rear haunches get pretty big, with the C5 being more so. If you look at it at a certain angle, you will see what I mean (I'm thinking at a front and especially rear 3/4 view). Also, both the NSX and C5 rear windows culminate to a relatively short and sharp wedge shape in the rear (as opposed to the FD's more rounded rear window). I know this design aspect (and probably some of the others) were evolved from past Corvettes but they are nevertheless very similar.

Those are the main things that I can think of off the top of my head and are most, if not all, of what I noticed many years back when the C5 was popping up in car mags month after month.

Anyway, you asked for it so there's my explanation. That's how I saw it and still see it today. As with all things viewed subjectively, it'll be different for every person.
I do see where you're coming from in that they do share some similar curves and such, but I don't think the C5 is necessarily inspired by the others. That "sinuous shape to them that flows from the front fenders, dips at the center where the doors are, then rises back up to the rear fenders" is definitely inspired by the Stingray. Check this side profile out to see what I'm talking about:

For comparison, here's a C5:

Also, the whole "high on the outer edges by the fenders, curving down towards the center, then curving back up at the center to form another bulge" looks more Stingray than RX7 to me:

The only thing I can't really account for is the large rear, but I feel like the NSX doesn't have a big rear so much as a rear spoiler making the rear of the car look bigger than it actually is.

Again, I see the similarities, but it feels like it's more coincidence than one taking styling cues from another.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris S,Aug 14 2009, 05:51 PM
Here ya go - it may be for sale soon!
Are you serious? You just got it.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tarheel91,Aug 14 2009, 09:04 PM
For comparison, here's a C5:

Looks like a yellow whale.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=2007 Zx-10,Aug 15 2009, 12:51 PM] Are you serious?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Aug 15 2009, 01:53 PM
Looks like a yellow whale.
It's nice that you feel that way, but that doesn't really contribute to the discussion we're having about it right now. I'd also like to remind you of the first rule of car talk:

This forum is for all cars and our enthusiasm for all brands. As such, we will run over all fanbois, haters, and trolls who show up with closed minds. We're all fans of cars here, so lets keep the discussion constructive and positive, be it criticism or praise.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris S,Aug 15 2009, 11:49 AM
Right now, I'd feel more comfortable w/ an extra $50+K in my bank account than w/ the M3 in my garage.
I hear that! Horrible time to sell a car, though, especially a performance sedan.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by zachismisitok,Aug 14 2009, 12:50 PM
wow, your ignorant, better than thou attitude is intoxicating.

grats man.
Grats on failing the use of "ignorant". One's opinion of a shitty vehicle does not = ignorance.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by st4rk,Aug 17 2009, 05:03 AM
Grats on failing the use of "ignorant". One's opinion of a shitty vehicle does not = ignorance.
I find most people have lost arguments or have nothing to add when they start attacking my grammar.

can we get back to the thread please?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:44 PM

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjCUrij5YU [/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svr_n9PmZXI [/media]&feature=related

Quick Reply: NC Miata vs. S2000 CR