Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My RX8 obsession lol - on my 6th one... :D

Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimboslice
What's funny, to me at least, is that I haven't seen any of the issues you guys are mentioning first hand. One of my best friends has had one since it was new, and he's JUST now having issues with hot starting the motor.... And it has almost 130k on the clock.

I guess it just comes down to maintenance and luck of the draw.

The only complaints he's had is that it drinks both gas and oil, but he's always had a close eye on it.

He might just be a lucky guy, who knows.
130k is really not that many miles. for an rx8 that was the most ive seen so it is for a rotary but the s2ks will run over 200k and so will ford's 4.6l modulars.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"LOL, it's like heroin addiction. You know it's bad for you, but addicts just can't stay away from the shit."

Old 08-13-2013, 05:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Originally Posted by jimboslice' timestamp='1376313065' post='22719471
What's funny, to me at least, is that I haven't seen any of the issues you guys are mentioning first hand. One of my best friends has had one since it was new, and he's JUST now having issues with hot starting the motor.... And it has almost 130k on the clock.

I guess it just comes down to maintenance and luck of the draw.

The only complaints he's had is that it drinks both gas and oil, but he's always had a close eye on it.

He might just be a lucky guy, who knows.
130k is really not that many miles. for an rx8 that was the most ive seen so it is for a rotary but the s2ks will run over 200k and so will ford's 4.6l modulars.
I agree completely. They're total glass cannons. At 130k, our motors are still breaking in!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Originally Posted by hariku821' timestamp='1376107091' post='22716643
I know that the rotary is part of the RX history but if they would have used the mazda speed 3 engine it would have been so much better. More HP, more TQ, better MPG, more reliable, and more desirable. It would have been one of the faster cars in its area and with a stock turbo it would be easy to get a little more power out of it.

I would have passed up the S2000 for a turbo 4 RX-8. To me the worst part of the S2000 is that it is a convertible and you can't get power from mods. I know the convertible factor is a big seller for most but for me it is undesirable, but the rest of the car makes up for it.

Is their something I'm missing? A reason they didn't chose a turbo 4 over the rotary, besides "heritage"?
I'm sure "heritage" of the RX line has a lot to do with it, but the more likely reason the MZR didn't make it is the same reason it didn't make it in the MX-5: it's a transverse design and doesn't fit, even when turned longitudinally. Mazda R&D did attempt it in the MX-5, and the above reason is why it didn't make the cut. It's also a pretty heavy engine in comparison, especially compared to the Wankel..

And it wouldn't be much more fuel friendly than a 13B. My MS6 got horrible mileage from day one when it was bone stock and driven moderately..

Your MS6 had a stock tune, was AWD, and is a 3600 lb pig. What do you expect MPG-wise from a car with those three attributes?

FYI people pick up 5-8 MPG on average with tuned Mazdaspeed6's.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1376272061' post='22718869
[quote name='hariku821' timestamp='1376107091' post='22716643']
I know that the rotary is part of the RX history but if they would have used the mazda speed 3 engine it would have been so much better. More HP, more TQ, better MPG, more reliable, and more desirable. It would have been one of the faster cars in its area and with a stock turbo it would be easy to get a little more power out of it.

I would have passed up the S2000 for a turbo 4 RX-8. To me the worst part of the S2000 is that it is a convertible and you can't get power from mods. I know the convertible factor is a big seller for most but for me it is undesirable, but the rest of the car makes up for it.

Is their something I'm missing? A reason they didn't chose a turbo 4 over the rotary, besides "heritage"?
I'm sure "heritage" of the RX line has a lot to do with it, but the more likely reason the MZR didn't make it is the same reason it didn't make it in the MX-5: it's a transverse design and doesn't fit, even when turned longitudinally. Mazda R&D did attempt it in the MX-5, and the above reason is why it didn't make the cut. It's also a pretty heavy engine in comparison, especially compared to the Wankel..

And it wouldn't be much more fuel friendly than a 13B. My MS6 got horrible mileage from day one when it was bone stock and driven moderately..

Your MS6 had a stock tune, was AWD, and is a 3600 lb pig. What do you expect MPG-wise from a car with those three attributes?

[/quote]

Read my sig. My MS6 wasn't stock at all after the first week I owned it. And yes, it was a pig, that's why I got rid of it. I got around 15mpg with 300+ WHP..
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had considered an RX8, but the speed, handling, gas mileage, convertible factor, reliability all went to the s2000. The only thing the RX8 had on it was 4 seats and a cool uniqueness. Couldn't justify it. I test drove a black one, the way I drive, and literally watched the gas gauge fall. Would have drove me to bankruptcy.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 AM

My buddy of mine had an RX-8. When he first bought it I remember taking out the dipstick which was covered in a white-milky substance. I thought to myself, uh oh, this dude bought a motor with a blown gasket. Nope, just the way they are. At one point he called me over because he couldn't get the thing started after he cold-stalled it. I looked online and we had to do a procedure where we pumped the gas, took out a fuse, pumped the gas, put in a fuse, pumped the gas, took out a fuse, pumped the gas, etc etc. I was thinking to myself WTF? Sure enough, after about 5 minutes of this it fired right up. Needless to say, I'll never own an RX-8. Good for some, not good for others. Car handled and drove GREAT though! It's what I imagined a coupe S2000 with a softened suspension would feel like.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
After the 5th one, I'd imagine a R3 would be next.

I'm not a big fan of RX8's, but I really like the R3 for some reason. Maybe even a bit more than the S2000 CR.

right after I got this black one a red R3 went on ebay for $16k with about 10 or 20k miles...... I would have paid the $4k difference but I would have also had to have it shipped, etc..... I really like the looks of the R3's.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

without spending a ton of $, there doesn't seem to be any great way to add 200hp or reduce the weight by 1000lbs....
Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1376455286' post='22723091
[quote name='AP1Driver' timestamp='1376272061' post='22718869']
[quote name='hariku821' timestamp='1376107091' post='22716643']

[/quote]

Read my sig. My MS6 wasn't stock at all after the first week I owned it. And yes, it was a pig, that's why I got rid of it. I got around 15mpg with 300+ WHP..
[/quote]

Wow that's really shitty. My Evo on E85 (which gets about 25-40% less MPG than 91 pump) gets 15-19 MPG AVERAGE (city and highway combined)... and I average 20-24 on 91. And that's with 400+ whp on 91 and 500+ whp on E85!!

I remember I raced a Mazdaspeed 6 when I was on E85 making 370 whp... by the time I went from 2nd to 3rd gear I had 10+ car lengths on him, and I let him get the jump! Let's be honest though, if they made a Mazdaspeed 6 on the current Mazda6 platform (that weighs 3000 lbs in base form), it'd be a GORGEOUS, sexy beast, and much much lighter than the 1st gen Mazdaspeed 6.

Quick Reply: My RX8 obsession lol - on my 6th one... :D