Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My RX8 obsession lol - on my 6th one... :D

Old 08-11-2013, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The newer 09+ models are much more reliable and I have yet to hear of anyone who has had problems with them. Unfortunately Mazda made the updates after the car already built a bad reputation. If the gen2's were originally released in 04, things would have been way different
Old 08-11-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

The 2009s are just newer, I think, not more reliable. They haven't had much time to prove themselves to high miles. Not to mention, very few of them were sold...
Old 08-11-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by hariku821
I know that the rotary is part of the RX history but if they would have used the mazda speed 3 engine it would have been so much better. More HP, more TQ, better MPG, more reliable, and more desirable. It would have been one of the faster cars in its area and with a stock turbo it would be easy to get a little more power out of it.

I would have passed up the S2000 for a turbo 4 RX-8. To me the worst part of the S2000 is that it is a convertible and you can't get power from mods. I know the convertible factor is a big seller for most but for me it is undesirable, but the rest of the car makes up for it.

Is their something I'm missing? A reason they didn't chose a turbo 4 over the rotary, besides "heritage"?
I'm sure "heritage" of the RX line has a lot to do with it, but the more likely reason the MZR didn't make it is the same reason it didn't make it in the MX-5: it's a transverse design and doesn't fit, even when turned longitudinally. Mazda R&D did attempt it in the MX-5, and the above reason is why it didn't make the cut. It's also a pretty heavy engine in comparison, especially compared to the Wankel..

And it wouldn't be much more fuel friendly than a 13B. My MS6 got horrible mileage from day one when it was bone stock and driven moderately..
Old 08-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Originally Posted by hariku821' timestamp='1376107091' post='22716643
I know that the rotary is part of the RX history but if they would have used the mazda speed 3 engine it would have been so much better. More HP, more TQ, better MPG, more reliable, and more desirable. It would have been one of the faster cars in its area and with a stock turbo it would be easy to get a little more power out of it.

I would have passed up the S2000 for a turbo 4 RX-8. To me the worst part of the S2000 is that it is a convertible and you can't get power from mods. I know the convertible factor is a big seller for most but for me it is undesirable, but the rest of the car makes up for it.

Is their something I'm missing? A reason they didn't chose a turbo 4 over the rotary, besides "heritage"?
I'm sure "heritage" of the RX line has a lot to do with it, but the more likely reason the MZR didn't make it is the same reason it didn't make it in the MX-5: it's a transverse design and doesn't fit, even when turned longitudinally. Mazda R&D did attempt it in the MX-5, and the above reason is why it didn't make the cut. It's also a pretty heavy engine in comparison, especially compared to the Wankel..

And it wouldn't be much more fuel friendly than a 13B. My MS6 got horrible mileage from day one when it was bone stock and driven moderately..
Ummm....do you not realize that the MZR designation applies to a family of Mazda engines, including 2.0-2.5L I4's that have a lot of interchangeability? Mazda put an MZR engine into every single MX-5 for model years '06 and up! The MS3 engine doesn't make an easy fit into the MX-5 b/c the direct injection hardware faces firewall clearance issues, but my understanding is that it can be hacked to fit.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 PM

id love to rent a properly modded one for a few weeks but dont really desire to own one
Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by AP1Driver' timestamp='1376272061' post='22718869
[quote name='hariku821' timestamp='1376107091' post='22716643']

Ummm....do you not realize that the MZR designation applies to a family of Mazda engines, including 2.0-2.5L I4's that have a lot of interchangeability? Mazda put an MZR engine into every single MX-5 for model years '06 and up! The MS3 engine doesn't make an easy fit into the MX-5 b/c the direct injection hardware faces firewall clearance issues, but my understanding is that it can be hacked to fit.
[/quote]

I'm talking about the 2.3L DISI from the Speed3 and 6, alas, the turbocharger and DI system. The person above mentioned the turbo four, not the low power 2.5 or 2.0L. The DI placement has nothing to do with the clearance issue, FYI, only the high pressure fuel pump. The height and sump design are the main problems, and there are a multitude of other issues with the fitment. Of course, some (read: extensive) hacking would make it fit, but that wasn't a cost efficient option to add to the Miata on even a limited-edition scale.

And yes, I'm aware that the NC has the MZR: I've had a couple of them. . It's the only MZR variant that has any reliability. Until it's force-fed . The 2.3 is also susceptible to breaking-bottom, especially under heavy load in high gear (con rod bearing failure). Nowhere close to reliable when modified.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What's funny, to me at least, is that I haven't seen any of the issues you guys are mentioning first hand. One of my best friends has had one since it was new, and he's JUST now having issues with hot starting the motor.... And it has almost 130k on the clock.

I guess it just comes down to maintenance and luck of the draw.

The only complaints he's had is that it drinks both gas and oil, but he's always had a close eye on it.

He might just be a lucky guy, who knows.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Always thought this was a good looking car, wish someone put an F22 in it.

When I think RX8, all I see is:

Originally Posted by Scot' timestamp='1376075464' post='22715877
Hi.. my name is Scot and I like RX8's... lol... they have same quick steering and shifter as S2000... slightly slower due to the extra weight but way easier to do burnouts in..

About 3 years ago I got this yellow 2004 on ebay for $7k and it had a brand new mazda replaced motor - It had cloth seats and no sunroof so I sold it

got this for $4k with a broken engine which turned into a money pit but is now my sons....black wheels, tint & greddy exhaust

Next was a grey one that had a dying motor... I paid for new motor which had 100 miles on it when it got wrecked into a out of control dodge viper. lol. I made a couple $ from his insurance paying me for the damage then selling the wrecked car on ebay.

next was a grey 2005 from ebay with 44k miles but brand new engine..I sold it quickly and made a few $...

then a 2005 white one that I lowered on KW V3's, Greddy Exhaust, Tint... I kept it a year and lost about $1k for the 10k miles I drove it..

Just bought #6 this past weekend.. Black 2007 with 20k miles. Plan to put the factory spoilers on it, tint and that's about it for now.
THAT.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, it's like heroin addiction. You know it's bad for you, but addicts just can't stay away from the shit.

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1376077369' post='22715955
Always thought this was a good looking car, wish someone put an F22 in it.

When I think RX8, all I see is:

[quote name='Scot' timestamp='1376075464' post='22715877']
Hi.. my name is Scot and I like RX8's... lol... they have same quick steering and shifter as S2000... slightly slower due to the extra weight but way easier to do burnouts in..

About 3 years ago I got this yellow 2004 on ebay for $7k and it had a brand new mazda replaced motor - It had cloth seats and no sunroof so I sold it

got this for $4k with a broken engine which turned into a money pit but is now my sons....black wheels, tint & greddy exhaust

Next was a grey one that had a dying motor... I paid for new motor which had 100 miles on it when it got wrecked into a out of control dodge viper. lol. I made a couple $ from his insurance paying me for the damage then selling the wrecked car on ebay.

next was a grey 2005 from ebay with 44k miles but brand new engine..I sold it quickly and made a few $...

then a 2005 white one that I lowered on KW V3's, Greddy Exhaust, Tint... I kept it a year and lost about $1k for the 10k miles I drove it..

Just bought #6 this past weekend.. Black 2007 with 20k miles. Plan to put the factory spoilers on it, tint and that's about it for now.
THAT.
[/quote]
Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 AM

It just consume oil a lot. People say that they need to replace the engine and the main reason is lubrication. It needs oil as part of the combustion process. If the engine is properly maintained it could last a long as a piston engine.

Quick Reply: My RX8 obsession lol - on my 6th one... :D