Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My next bike?

Old 06-27-2005, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My next bike?

All right, I am going to get another motorcycle. I just have not made up my mind as to what bike to get. First I'll give you guys my riding history. I bought my first bike way back in 2000.

After much thought I decided against getting a R1 ( good move on my part) and bought a new VFR. A friend at the time had one and let me ride it a couple of times and I ended up getting one. It was a nice bike, a sport tourer that could do it all. I had some good times on the bike, but it stolen after about two months I put about 1500 miles on the bike in the short time that I had it. Due to my insurance company screwing me I was not able to purchase another new bike right away.

I waited until april of 02 before getting another bike. I picked up a new R6, I really wanted a R1, but decided against it. I had the R6 until november 04 and put about 4000 miles on the bike. I did not really ride it much at all in 04 because I was working about 60 hours a week on a rotating schedule. I was just too tired to ride it much. I sold the bike to a very good friend who has taken great care of the bike and lets me ride it pretty much when ever I want. He is also constantly on me about getting another bike

I started thinking about getting a new bike as soon as spring rolled around. For you riders, that is probably not hard to imagine. I looked at all the new bikes 636, r6, 600rr, and the r1. I know that I can flip a coin to decide on a 600 because I am not going to be able to push the bike to its limits anyway. If I go with a 600 it will come down to whatever color I like or whichever one I fit on the best.

Now for the real question. I have always been fascinated by the R1. It is my dream bike. My question is this, am I ready for a literbike? It seems that I hear of a lot of people crashing on them. And it seems like every time I hear of someone dieing on a sportbike they were riding a R1?!?!?! Maybe it's just cause it's my dream bike and I get it stuck in my head I don't know...

I have one other option in mind, the Aprillia Tuono. The only problem with that is the nearest dealer is over 2 hours away.

When I get my next bike I plan to do some track days, but mostly it will just be backroads, twisties etc. I am a big guy 5'11" 250lbs. I need your opinions on what to buy.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

NOBODY NEEDS a LITER BIKE. But they sure are fun.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

RC51?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I have actually considered the RC51. There was a used one at the dealership a while back. I rode one a few years ago.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:45 PM
jah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the same 750 since 2000, (gsxr750) and recently swaped the engine to 2002 1000cc engine. it made a big difference in the bike. you must now have restraint on the road with this bike. i cant wait to take it to the track.

the original 750 had 50K miles on it before i swaped the engine. i droped it many times, never on the road tho. i have paid the price for riding the bike (several busted bones, alot of tickets and costly repairs) and still continue to ride. when i started this my weight was about 250, its not now. my view the bike did more good for me than bad. the medical time outs were frustrating but no lasting damage that wasnt fixed at the gym. i always did the full riding gear and a helmet.

get a 1 liter bike, any one will do.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 PM

Asking if you should get a litre bike is like asking what kind of car you should buy. You will get different answers from different people. You seem like you have a pretty good head on your shoulders so hell, get the R1. I mean it is sexy as hell. Having spoken to many seasoned riders it basically comes down to the type of riding you do most. If you commute and do city riding, I would choose the R1. If you want to track and hit the twisties, most guys are faster on a 600 than litre.

I rode an f4i for several months and just bought a 600RR. I had the opportunity to also ride a fortuna replica R1. The bike was freakin amazing. Way too much bike for me since i weight about 135 lbs. At 250lbs, you should get a R1.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:36 PM

Yeah, no one needs a literbike... I had a CBR954 which was pretty close to a literbike...same 1/4 mile times as the older R1's and whatnot and better midrange roll on times and it was great...didn't feel overly powerful but it only had 154hp compared to todays 180+hp monsters but I really liked the fact that you could leave it in gear and cruise anywhere without much drama...the 600's that rev to 15,500 rpms (all of them now I think except triumph 14,000? and the 600RR ninja that is a mindblowing 16,500) require more work around town to keep in the sweetspot but are all incredibly fast and capable bikes. If you want big power and limitless wheelies with no efforst get the literbike and have at it
Old 06-27-2005, 09:23 PM

The Busa is an awsome bike as well. Massive power, but great to ride daily. I had an 02 VFR which felt like I was riding "on top" of the bike, where on the Busa, it felt like I was "in" the bike. The Busa is smooth all over the power band, comfortable to ride, and has the power to keep you from getting bored. Long rides on the Busa are awsome where the VFR needs a Corbin. Just my 2/10 of a dime.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:38 PM

wait an get the new 06 R6 which is supposedly being 100% redesigned. the new R1 really is a beast. its wicked fast loads of fun. i really do love riding it. but to be honest i much more enjoy my 05 R6 because i can really push the bike. if you want to do track day's you will be much more happy with the R6. i am lucky enough to have both of them but honestly if the last bike you rode was an 02 R6 you really don't need anything more then a 600. the truth is its like night and day from your 600 to a new one. my friend had an 01 R6 champion edition. sold it and didn't ride for about a year when it came time to get another one he was dead set on a gsx1000. i finally talked him out of that and he ended up getting a 600RR. afterwards he couldn't stop talking about how happy he was with the 600 because its wicked fast compaired to his older R6. hope this helps.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlueS2000Boy,Jun 28 2005, 02:38 PM
wait an get the new 06 R6 which is supposedly being 100% redesigned. the new R1 really is a beast. its wicked fast loads of fun. i really do love riding it. but to be honest i much more enjoy my 05 R6 because i can really push the bike. if you want to do track day's you will be much more happy with the R6. i am lucky enough to have both of them but honestly if the last bike you rode was an 02 R6 you really don't need anything more then a 600. the truth is its like night and day from your 600 to a new one. my friend had an 01 R6 champion edition. sold it and didn't ride for about a year when it came time to get another one he was dead set on a gsx1000. i finally talked him out of that and he ended up getting a 600RR. afterwards he couldn't stop talking about how happy he was with the 600 because its wicked fast compaired to his older R6. hope this helps.
Well said. If you are a baller like blue, then get both an R1 and R6. Otherwise, a 600 will do the trick as an only bike.