Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Is my Landrover a domestic?

Old 06-25-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But in any way, Ford is behind in technology.
Really? How. Be specific.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steve c,Jun 25 2005, 02:14 PM
Really? How. Be specific.
I don't think cruise controls should short circuit and catch houses on fire when the engine is off, especially the exact same problem has happened before over a decade ago.

I think a muscle car's V6 should be able to catch up with non-muscle car V6s, espcially in comparably priced cars.

I think a company that's been around so long shouldn't have reliability to be surpassed by Hyundai (this year, Hyundai cars surpassed Ford in terms of problems of the first year of ownership. The most problem free car of Ford is the Mustang, which has a first year problem of 5%).

I think a car company who's been in the SUV business so long shouldn't have one of the highest rollover problems with their SUVs.

I find that its a problem when the Model T actually gets better mileage than some of their modern cars of similar size.

Eh, I'm tired. But I think you can get the point.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Jun 25 2005, 04:59 PM
you can't think when you're tired? Yeah, we all can see that. :/
Old 06-25-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Jun 25 2005, 02:59 PM
I don't think cruise controls should short circuit and catch houses on fire when the engine is off, especially the exact same problem has happened before over a decade ago.

I think a muscle car's V6 should be able to catch up with non-muscle car V6s, espcially in comparably priced cars.

I think a company that's been around so long shouldn't have reliability to be surpassed by Hyundai (this year, Hyundai cars surpassed Ford in terms of problems of the first year of ownership. The most problem free car of Ford is the Mustang, which has a first year problem of 5%).

I think a car company who's been in the SUV business so long shouldn't have one of the highest rollover problems with their SUVs.

I find that its a problem when the Model T actually gets better mileage than some of their modern cars of similar size.

Short circuiting electronics is bad. No doubt.

What exactly do you mean by catching up? Ford's v6's probably sit at their current power levels because they don't want to drag their lineupwide fuel efficiency ratings down. You are a fool if you don't think Ford can squeeze a ton of power out of any of their motors.

Hyundai has worked extremely hard to improve initial quality ratings to drag their name out of the mud. People still associate Hyundai with 3rd tier quality from their early days. They shouldn't.

Yeah the Model T is a great comparison to anything Ford has today. Can the Model T even do anything say a Taurus can do? The Taurus will carry more people and more of their stuff a further distance than any Model T ever will. A 2.9L 20hp 4banger is quite the picture of efficiency you are trying to paint.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:54 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by temin,Jun 25 2005, 11:36 PM
Ford's v6's probably sit at their current power levels because they don't want to drag their lineupwide fuel efficiency ratings down. You are a fool if you don't think

Ford can squeeze a ton of power out of any of their motors.
Five Hundred takes 22.4 sec to get to 100mph and gets 21/29 mpg vs the Avalon 22/31 mpg that takes 14.8sec 0-100.

Obviously the Avalon is top of the class now. The Ford is not even close.

So you're saying it's not possible to get good HP and good mileage. Well Toyota just did it. If you don't see Ford as being far behind Toyota I don't know what to say.

Nissan Maxima goes 0-100 in 15.5sec and gets 20/28 (just 1 mpg worse than the 500).
Old 06-26-2005, 09:03 AM

What exactly do you mean by catching up? Ford's v6's probably sit at their current power levels because they don't want to drag their lineupwide fuel efficiency ratings down. You are a fool if you don't think Ford can squeeze a ton of power out of any of their motors.
Er... that's exactly my point. How come other companies can get more power and fuel economy from smaller engines that are similarly priced? That list was a bunch of reasons why I believed Ford was behind, don't you pay attention? I already mentioned the 350z! The Avalon was mentioned as well in comparison with the Ford Five-hundred.

Hyundai has worked extremely hard to improve initial quality ratings to drag their name out of the mud. People still associate Hyundai with 3rd tier quality from their early days. They shouldn't.
Yes, the Hyundai example is another reason why Ford is behind. Hyundai can overcome stereotypes of being crappily built, why can't Ford? Ford has more money and assets, and they certainly had more time to do so.

[QUOTE]Yeah the Model T is a great comparison to anything Ford has today. Can the Model T even do anything say a Taurus can do? The Taurus will carry more people and more of their stuff a further distance than any Model T ever will. A 2.9L 20hp 4banger is quite the picture of efficiency you are trying to paint.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thus far you have not given us anything to support your earlier statement regarding Ford and technology.

What I do see are some rather pointless remarks in obscure areas -- a sad smoke screen to cover your inability to follow through on what was clearly a stupid remark.

For what it's worth, the Escape hybrid is not only the most fuel effecient SUV available -- period -- it also gets better economy around town than the Accord Hybrid. Note -- this has zero to do with any company being "behind in techology."

Keep grasping for straws. -Steve

P.S. The Escape hybrid has a combigned horsepower of 155 not 133.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:58 AM

Thus far you have not given us anything to support your earlier statement regarding Ford and technology.

What I do see are some rather pointless remarks in obscure areas -- a sad smoke screen to cover your inability to follow through on what was clearly a stupid remark.
What do you mean I didn't explain why Ford is behind in technology? The fact that smaller engines burn cleaner, get better mileage, get more power, and are more reliable doesn't convince you? OR the fact that that Ford has been here the longest, but didn't do anything spectacular after competition started coming in?

The wife is out of town for the next month so I drove her LR3 to the airport this week. First time in a while I have driven it, still pleasently surprised with just how well everything is put together and how it drives.
Um, you must've thought something was wrong with Ford if you were "surprised" by how well the Land Rover was! You started this thread.

And still, you haven't come up with anything to disprove me in defense saying that Ford is not behind... You can't just say "you're ideas are stupid," and not have any evidence! I might as well say your arguments are idiotic... except you made no arguments.

For what it's worth, the Escape hybrid is not only the most fuel effecient SUV available -- period -- it also gets better economy around town than the Accord Hybrid. Note -- this has zero to do with any company being "behind in techology."
You some times crack me up. Firstly, the Accord has MUCH more horsepower and torque! And how convenient of you to omit that the Accord gets better freeway mileage...
You speak as if you know what you are talking about, except you have no sources!
http://www.lexus.com/models/rx_hybri...fications.html
This SUV has been out for a while, and the Toyota version is out in limited supply right now, I believe. But here's the gist:

4WD Lexus RX400h
268 hp max
212+262 ft-lb of torque combined (at different rpms)
Curb weight: 4580 lb
31/27 mpg city/highway (for comparison, the 4WD Escape Hybrid gets 33/29)
Towing: 3500 lbs
Emissions; SULEV

Now, this is what a real hybrid-SUV is; NO compromises! This hybrid, like the Accord, actually performs better than the gasoline version! the Escape hybrid performs much worse with only 155 hp and with a towing capacity of 1000lbs, which is the same for the friggin RSX!

Originally Posted by steve c,Jun 26 2005, 09:09 AM

Keep grasping for straws. -Steve

P.S. The Escape hybrid has a combigned horsepower of 155 not 133.
Well, woop-tee-do. Is that the best you can do? That still makes the Accord have "only" a +100 hp advantage.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Banned

you're comparing an Accord to an Escape. How much does that Lexus cost? Need I say more?

As for smaller engines burning cleaner - Since at least 1999, Mustang GT's have been ULEV classified, and get very similar or better mileage than the S2000. Let's talk about how are they less efficient, again? They get better mileage, make more power, and are larger displacement. Your argument is baseless.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 PM

LL,
Again, I

Quick Reply: Is my Landrover a domestic?