Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My experience with the E86 Z4 M Coupe

Old 06-03-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackalope,Jun 3 2009, 04:56 PM
I love this car, but I had to scratch it off my list of potentials.

I just know that eventually the power bug will bite, and the aftermarket on this thing is even worse than the s2000 for dollar:hp

It's unfortunate, because it's such a hot, classy, performer
Good that you're honest before you buy it and make that mistake.

The car is fast, sub 5sec 0-60 and easy 13sec quarters. BUt yeah if you want more HP, you better be ready to open your wallet (from what research ive done).

I really, really wanted one of these. I still do. but they are still too much for my blood. When they start hitting 28k ish dont be surprised to see my "Traded R32 for z4m" thread .

And i LOVE the way these things look... infact i saw a red one yesterday
Its a beautiful car and looks even better with rims...

I havent driven one yet though, can the ride really be that bad? I had a s2k with Megan TRACKS set to stiff and was running Falken 615's (stiff sidewall) and it didnt bother me one bit. I LOVE being connected to the road like that.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silversprint,Mar 11 2009, 06:37 PM
Here is mine.

Sell that to me please
Old 06-03-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think light colors suit the car well. But that's just IMO.

As for the ride quality, it's pretty harsh. The M is harsh, probably the harshest car I've ever driven, but not harsh enough for me to say no. I've never extensively driven an S2k so I can't give a comparison.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by replica,Mar 11 2009, 06:57 PM
yeah, a German love muscle, tee hee

just playin, I also heart the Z4M coupe

German Muscle two words come to mind:

Brabus and Gemballa

not BMW
Old 06-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Jun 3 2009, 09:11 PM
Good that you're honest before you buy it and make that mistake.

The car is fast, sub 5sec 0-60 and easy 13sec quarters. BUt yeah if you want more HP, you better be ready to open your wallet (from what research ive done).

I really, really wanted one of these. I still do. but they are still too much for my blood. When they start hitting 28k ish dont be surprised to see my "Traded R32 for z4m" thread .

And i LOVE the way these things look... infact i saw a red one yesterday
Its a beautiful car and looks even better with rims...

I havent driven one yet though, can the ride really be that bad? I had a s2k with Megan TRACKS set to stiff and was running Falken 615's (stiff sidewall) and it didnt bother me one bit. I LOVE being connected to the road like that.
I'd still like to have a Cayman S before getting the Z4 M coupe...

although the Z4 coupe is probably the last of its kind... everything going heavier... emissions getting stricter....
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by mic_crispy,Jun 3 2009, 06:12 PM
Sell that to me please
Can't.

It just got TCkline coilovers and black 5zigen wheels.

They are actually selling cheap now. Use dealer auction prices are in the Mid $20s. There are several for sale on zpost.com and BMW dealer for low $30s and even a couple in te high $20s.

But none of them are white with black interior with all the options.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:50 PM

Ride quality for someone living in a North Eastern city is horrible. I live in Montreal where its huge potholes everywhere and it made me HATE my Z4M to the point where I sold it only after 1 month ownership...

Traded it for a 987 Boxster S. The Porsche doesn't have the Z4M's acceleration but it handles MUCH better with better steering and turn in response. Plus the ride is 10X more comfortable and the chassis just soaks up bumps and I don't even have PASM!

What pissed me off with the Z4M is that while ride quality is Integra Type R stiff and worse than an S2000 it doesn't handle better than a Boxster S or Cayman S.

If it were a Lotus Elise I could understand it because it handles so well, but the Z4M handles like a muscle car...
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 PM

Z4M owner here. For those of you that complained about throttle sensitivity, did you guys press the "sport" button? The throttle is ridiculously sensitive when the button's pressed.

The thing I hate the most about the car is the gearbox. I did the CDV delete but it made it only slightly better. Damn S2K spoiled me... =\

Ride quality is not too bad. It feels like a luxury cruiser when I hop from the S2K to this car.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Heh, what car doesn't matter, as long as the wife is happy. You know what they say, if the wife isn't happy, no one is.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Jun 3 2009, 11:50 PM
Ride quality for someone living in a North Eastern city is horrible. I live in Montreal where its huge potholes everywhere and it made me HATE my Z4M to the point where I sold it only after 1 month ownership...

Traded it for a 987 Boxster S. The Porsche doesn't have the Z4M's acceleration but it handles MUCH better with better steering and turn in response. Plus the ride is 10X more comfortable and the chassis just soaks up bumps and I don't even have PASM!

What pissed me off with the Z4M is that while ride quality is Integra Type R stiff and worse than an S2000 it doesn't handle better than a Boxster S or Cayman S.

If it were a Lotus Elise I could understand it because it handles so well, but the Z4M handles like a muscle car...
PDK Boxster S with launch control just tested at 0-60 -----> 4.3 seconds.

(if you're into mag racing).

Quick Reply: My experience with the E86 Z4 M Coupe