Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My Dad is old and cheap.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it sounds like he already found the right car. The new sonatas are nice and it sounds like he really wants one.

I'd make sure he tests an accord before buying, but if he still likes the hyundai, I say let him go for it.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

New Accord is the way to go, I just bought a new one for my mom and as a daily driver to go to work for me, she loves it, got car with 24miles on it and drove 412 miles until i had to fill up gas

ACCORD FTW!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

My dad drove the Accord, Malibu, Sonata, Altima, I think that is all of them. Well, he bought an '09 Sonata Limited 4 banger with Nav. He paid right at $21k. I've driven it and it's a pretty damn nice ride for what it is. The interior looks great for the class, the engine is very smooth and has decent power (175hp), 5-speed auto shifts smooth, Nav is cool, and even the outside with the alloy wheels looks a bit generic, but still very clean.

The car looks more expensive than it actually is. My dad is almost 59 and likes the comfy ride too. Factor in the warranty and the discounts and it's pretty hard to pass up. Hyundai now has cars that are actually class competitive.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hyundai sonata is probably the right car for him. they have 10 year 100K miles warranty, so your dad can put his 90K miles and not have to worry about unexpected repair costs. also, hyundais are way better in quality and driving pleasure than most american cars. i don't know if you have seen and driven 1 in person, but if you haven't, then you really shouldn't knock it till you have.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Aug 25 2008, 12:33 PM
I forgot to mention that leather interior is a must so it would have to be a trim level in any model that has leather.

That Sonata interior is nice. Wow. I thought I saw an interior shot of the Azera once that was pretty impressive too.

He thinks sat radio is a must too but that is on just about every car these days.

He is really open to the Malibu although he thought the leather colors were ugly, I kind of like the adobe color myself, but he hates the the look of the Impala, although I think he is still picturing the older one with the fugly rear end.

Camry Hybrid he looked at and said he preferred the regular model because the batteries took up too much of the luggage space and the price differential was not warranted by the difference in milage from the regular four cylinder.

He used to drive an RX7 like a maniac. Once got a ticket for driving on a sidewalk around a construction backup, but what can I say, he is almost 70 now and says he only drives a 5 miles over the limit tops so I don't know that power is an issue except for he wants a car that can get out of its own way when merging on the freeway.

Anything I am missing from a Euro brand? I don't really follow Volvo, Saab etc.
yeah, on this side of the border, sat radio is still a fairly expensive option. The new Malibu is definitely a good alternative especially if he wants to stay "domestic" (hey, I'm not harping on anyone who has brand/country of origin loyalty, it's their $).

Euro offerings generally would cost more to maintain over time. They do have that "German" feel, and it is a better drive than a lot of vehicles, but the only car right now that remotely fits your Dad's requirement may be a Passat. Here in Canada, they're NOT cheap.... maybe you can just sneak it under $30K US down there.

I don't know, I'm not an American car guy, but the Impala woke me up. FOr my short week with a rental, I grew to like it. My retired neighbour just recently bought one, and he can't say enough nice things about it. The only reason to not buy one is because the cop cars here are Impalas.

But yeah, Sonata is a real sleeper in this class of vehicles - the interior is classy, even w/ the fake wood.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

2008 Accord sedan V6

Old 08-26-2008, 06:01 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Oh for crying out loud, I just talked to him last night and he was out test driving again. So he says he takes a test drive in a $37k new Maxima and he might buy that because it was "really nice". Then two sentences later he says he does not think he will get it because it had now "wow factor." Now he thinks he want to go look at a Mercedes because he just went to lunch with a former law partner that had a real nice one.

"I don't want to spend too much because I just use them up and I want good milage. Maybe I should go look at a big Benz."

I swear, you pass 65 years old and just become a goofball. He changes his mind on what he wants both conceptually and model wise every time the wind blows but feels the need to call me three times a day to discuss it because he is under the mistaken impression that I know something about cars. Ugh. He is probably lonely because my mom is driving him nuts. Parents.

On another note, the only bad thing I read about the Hyundais is that they are prone to interior squeaks and rattles over time.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,872 Likes on 2,083 Posts

If that's the case, tell him to go to a Lexus dealer. The ES is a very nice car.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=sw05s2k,Aug 26 2008, 06:33 AM] If that's the case, tell him to go to a Lexus dealer.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 AM

Your dad is frugal, you are cheap. You said he wants some "wow factor" but don't want to spend too much. After all the posting about parents buying teenagers nice car, why don't you reverse the trend and help him buy something nice?

How about the Hyundai Genesis?

Quick Reply: My Dad is old and cheap.