Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My ATS-V was stolen. What now?

Old 09-09-2024, 11:18 AM

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

I finally got the surveillance footage from the office building security. I was pretty cool about it until I saw the thieves on camera. Now I'm pissed off about the whole thing.

Also, the building management for my office building is avoiding me. They kind of screwed up by leaving open the access gates to the parking garage that day, so the thieves had an easy time getting into the garage. But I don't practice law by blowing people's minor contributions to my client's problems out of proportion, even when I could get away with it. One day I plan on dying and having to answer for everything I've done in life, and "I was a credentialed pirate, so that made it okay" isn't how I want to explain things. In any event, if I'm not willing to make mountains out of molehills when I'm a hired gun for my clients, I'm not willing to introduce that into my personal life. But I suspect my office management will not take that risk and are going to continue avoiding me. LOL.
The following users liked this post:
QUIKAG (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 12:33 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I finally got the surveillance footage from the office building security. I was pretty cool about it until I saw the thieves on camera. Now I'm pissed off about the whole thing.

Also, the building management for my office building is avoiding me. They kind of screwed up by leaving open the access gates to the parking garage that day, so the thieves had an easy time getting into the garage. But I don't practice law by blowing people's minor contributions to my client's problems out of proportion, even when I could get away with it. One day I plan on dying and having to answer for everything I've done in life, and "I was a credentialed pirate, so that made it okay" isn't how I want to explain things. In any event, if I'm not willing to make mountains out of molehills when I'm a hired gun for my clients, I'm not willing to introduce that into my personal life. But I suspect my office management will not take that risk and are going to continue avoiding me. LOL.

Yeah probably best route to go. Buried on those parking tickets/permits/etc is all the typical release of liabilty stuff. The little arm that closes at the gate is barely sufficient to leave a scratch on a runaway car, let alone stop anything. Parking garages exist to give you a designated parking spot, or a higher probability of finding a parking spot, and not to actually secure your car- if that were the case, the already asinine cost for parking would sky rocket.

Sounds like you got a replacement plan in place, makes sense that if you liked the car that much, might as well get another one.
shrykhar (09-13-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 02:08 PM

I totally agree. I think the building management is just worried I see things differently and will annoy them by being a crybaby. Haha.
Old 09-09-2024, 02:41 PM

I totally agree. I think the building management is just worried I see things differently and will annoy them by being a crybaby. Haha.

Attornies do tend to have a reputation, lol.
Old 09-10-2024, 07:50 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

So you're pissed about the thieves (type of people they were?) or you're pissed that the gate was left open?

Crime had been going up in my neighborhood the last few years. Next door neighbor's Silverado was stolen (by teenagers) and was recovered next day, damaged and dirty. Another neighbor's (old) Tahoe was stolen - don't know what happened there but it definitely wasn't recovered. And after a party I hosted one of my guests' vehicles was almost stolen (he had Uber'd home and left it). The attempted thief apparently couldnt figure out how to hot wire the Honda, but the window was smashed and steering column mangled. I've also been harassed by druggies high on God knows what. All within the last 3 years (previous 9, no incidents on my block). And gunfire was heard with increasing frequency.

My cars were always kept in my garage...and I say was, because I moved. Plenty of reasons, but the increase in crime I'd seen in Raleigh certainly contributed at least a little.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
So you're pissed about the thieves (type of people they were?) or you're pissed that the gate was left open?

Crime had been going up in my neighborhood the last few years. Next door neighbor's Silverado was stolen (by teenagers) and was recovered next day, damaged and dirty. Another neighbor's (old) Tahoe was stolen - don't know what happened there but it definitely wasn't recovered. And after a party I hosted one of my guests' vehicles was almost stolen (he had Uber'd home and left it). The attempted thief apparently couldnt figure out how to hot wire the Honda, but the window was smashed and steering column mangled. I've also been harassed by druggies high on God knows what. All within the last 3 years (previous 9, no incidents on my block). And gunfire was heard with increasing frequency.

My cars were always kept in my garage...and I say was, because I moved. Plenty of reasons, but the increase in crime I'd seen in Raleigh certainly contributed at least a little.
Yeesh, even NC? And here I thought it was just a CA thing.
Old 09-10-2024, 09:59 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Very notable changes here since 2020. At least as observed by me - I don't presume to speak for everyone (several other NC residents on this forum!).
Old 09-13-2024, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k

Sorry. That was poorly worded. I was basically saying that I was fairly laid back about my car being stolen until I saw the thieves put their dirty dick beaters on my car, and that somehow made it seem more real. So, I’m pissed at the thieves.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mr.E.G.:
jnewtons2k (09-14-2024), QUIKAG (09-13-2024), shrykhar (09-13-2024), WolfpackS2k (09-13-2024)
Old 09-14-2024, 11:18 AM

Sorry. That was poorly worded. I was basically saying that I was fairly laid back about my car being stolen until I saw the thieves put their dirty dick beaters on my car, and that somehow made it seem more real. So, I’m pissed at the thieves.

It's always upsetting when you see something bad happen to a loved one, vs. not seeing it. You've had that car for a while, and you apparently really like the car, so I imagine you bonded with it on some level, as such seeing those asshats do what they did must've been upsetting.
Mr.E.G. (Yesterday)
Old 09-14-2024, 11:49 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

To quote the industrious Samuel L. Jackson, YES they deserved to DIE and I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL!!!!!!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by TommyDeVito:
Mr.E.G. (Yesterday), WolfpackS2k (09-16-2024)

Quick Reply: My ATS-V was stolen. What now?