Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My ATS-V was stolen. What now?

Old 09-08-2024, 02:06 PM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

did they find the car or just the Air tag?
Old 09-08-2024, 05:53 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

death penalty to car thieves.

darcy
The following 2 users liked this post by darcyw:
Mr.E.G. (09-09-2024), shrykhar (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 09:58 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
At UCLA, a theft ring worked with some corrupt campus cops. They'd drive tow trucks around and just tow the desired car away.

With cops there, no one suspected the theft, even with the alarms going off.

New BMWs, Mercedes, and high-end SUVs were the prime targets. The LAPD took a few months to arrest the guys in the act.

Yeah I read about that. People think that auto theft is like it used to be, someone like Nicholas Cage breaking into your car and then knowing some sort of trick to steal it, when in reality it's more like the towing theft you mentioned with the UCLA ring, or like in Gone in 60 Second, having keys replicated. There are other sophisticated things like code grabbers and some cars do have tricks like all the Dodges that were getting stolen, or the Kia boys stuff, but for the most part there's some sort of coordinated attack on your car that there isn't a whole lot you can do other than garage your car.

It's one of the things that made me consolidate into one car. I have a two car garage, one I reserve for my wife, and the other for me of course. I have unlimited street parking, but then I deal with the constant worry of theft or catalytic converter theft, or just plain hit and run/break in, not to mention that I usually keep the nicer car in the garage meaning my daily ends up being on the street creating a decent inconvenience, especially during raining months. End of the day I consolidated into one car, get to use my garage as intended, and I sleep much better at night.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:25 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Sounds like a great place to live
Old 09-09-2024, 10:45 AM

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100
did they find the car or just the Air tag?

Neither. Haha. One of the AirTags was disabled. One of them is still pinging, but I went to the location where it pings and cannot find anything. They must have tossed it in a sewer pipe or something.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Sounds like a great place to live

Work.

I live in a yuppie enclave with minimum lot sizes and commute to Dallas where the car was stolen. Haha.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (09-10-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
CT4 blackwing.

If you get any of the audi options and decide to keep it longer term, you'll probably end of missing the reliability of your ATS-V.

Although, i'm partial to the IS500 F-sport, but you've already ruled that out.

What about a used Panamera GTS?

Please clarify. Are you saying the Audi would be less reliable or more reliable than the Cadillac? Please forgive me if my sarcasm sensor is off today.

I really don't like the Panamera. I like every other Porsche made, but that one doesn't do it for me.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:52 AM

It turns out there are still some low milage ATS-Vs for sale. I may just get another one of those. I'm a creature of habit and would take comfort in knowing what I'm getting myself into.

Aside from that, I am considering both CTS-Vs and RS3s.
Old 09-09-2024, 10:58 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Please clarify. Are you saying the Audi would be less reliable or more reliable than the Cadillac? Please forgive me if my sarcasm sensor is off today.

I really don't like the Panamera. I like every other Porsche made, but that one doesn't do it for me.
Statistically, the 4BW should be more reliable than the RS3. The RS3 powertrain is bomb proof, but the electronics are typical VAG/German complicated and potentially problematic. It's hit or miss. You could put 100k on an RS3 and be fine or you could getting on a first-name basis relationship with your Audi service advisor with monthly visits. Of course, the Cadillac isn't infallible, but generally speaking, it's less complex, mostly proven parts throughout, and great local dealers (Sewell, etc.) that can fix it quickly if it's broken with a nice loaner in the meantime.

All that said, either one you get is going to be AWESOME. I'd love to drive an RS3 and I'd trade drives with any of my cars in exchange.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.E.G. (09-09-2024)
Old 09-09-2024, 11:09 AM

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Happy to hear you're finding a possible solution. No one mentioned this, and it seemed you didn't specifically rule these out, but Mecan GTS or X3M. I haven't driven them, but it seems like they're hot hatches masquerading as SUVs. They're upscale, have more speed than you can access on the street, and can haul around small children.
The following 2 users liked this post by bruthaboost:
Mr.E.G. (09-09-2024), QUIKAG (09-09-2024)

Quick Reply: My ATS-V was stolen. What now?