Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

My 350 test drive...

Old 02-24-2003, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot poeple have posted thier experiences...but what the heck here is another...(sorry if it is long winded)

I found out that I didnt have class so I decided to go cruising/run errands. On my way to Home Depot I stopped off at the Nissan dealership. I wanted to see what all the hype is about. I talked to a salesman who seemed to know nothing about the 350z. I told him that I was interested in the track model. This is true because if I was blown away I might have traded in my S. Apparently they only have it in stock in blue and orange.

He tried selling me on the performance model. I told him I rather have the track because of the brembo brakes and lighter wheels. He then told me that the wheels are the same on the track and performance. After visibly showing him his error, he quickly offered to let me drive the performance model. I think it was because he was trying to save his dissapearing creditability. Anyhow I couldnt say no. He picked out a black performance model (i told him i would only take black). He gave me the keys and this is when the fun began...

Immediately I felt the torque. The engine was very responsive at low rpms especially between 2-3.5k rpms. After a few shifts I realized that the shifter was clumsy and a little slugish. It was probably attributable to the fact that the car had 15 miles on it and I am used to the s2k's shifter. I took a turn at a decent speed (nothing crazy). There was very little body roll and seemed stable. The steering was no where as razor sharp as my s (i have x brace). Overall I liked the car. The engine imo is very conservative yet power is readily available. Only thing i noticed was that it seemed to run out of power near redline (salesman told me to do it-apologies in advance to that person who is going to buy the car). I totally prefer s2ks redline where torque increases as rpms increase.

recap
Positives: decent looking, good handling/braking, AWESOME Torque and silent ride

Negatives: engine is uninspiring, stupid blinking shift light when rpms >3000.

I would buy this car and recommend. But for me I rather have a s2k. Different strokes for different folks
Old 02-24-2003, 06:27 PM

Oh yeah i got the anti s2000 propaganda when he found out i had a s2k
Old 02-24-2003, 06:40 PM

I agree with everything except your comment that the 350Z shifter is sluggish. You have to consider you're driving an S2000; you're used to the short throws of our own. Jump in the 350Z after driving a Mustang GT or an F-body, a pickup, or whatever, and the 350Z's shifter will be a welcoming task. It doesn't have the snickety-snick-snick of the S2000, but it is a fine shifter.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, that stupid blinking light can be programmed to whatever rpm you want it.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:24 PM

Alexf20c ANYthing feels good after an american domestic's shifter. Comparing the Zs shifter to cars like the s2000, type-r, Boxster, NSX, BMW, and it's really not at the top of the pack. Mustang GTs and F-bodies probably have the worst feeling throws in the market of sports cars.
Old 02-25-2003, 04:07 AM

Damn right about that s2000 torque, gotta love it.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:34 AM

I drove my friends M3 e46 after driving my S2000. M3's shifter was so long throw and rubbery I felt like my car had a solid victory over the $50K M3 in this area.
Old 02-25-2003, 09:07 AM

we are all spoiled by the short throw shifter of S2K

i would love to get my hands on a Z and see for myself
Old 02-25-2003, 02:44 PM

most sales people need more education about the car they are selling, they often don't know what they are talking about......
Old 02-25-2003, 04:21 PM

most people out there may not give a damn about the particulars of the Z. They want it because it looks good and is "fast" and the new hot thing. not because it can pull .9 G's on a skid pad. They probaly will never corner at the posted speed limit. the only reason that salesmen/saleswomen would need to have detailed knowledge on the cars is to protect themselves from people like us and for thier own personal benifit.

Quick Reply: My 350 test drive...