Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MS3 mods?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MS3 mods?

I just picked up a new MazdaSpeed3 as a DD. Although it is a DD, I still want to play a bit. I am obviously considering ECU mods, but also I am considering an FMIC, IHE, suspension, short shifter and brakes. I am wondering if anyone on this site has a modded MS3 or has some knowledge of modifying MS3's that can give me some input on best products available, which mods I should do first, anything I should avoid, etc.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Just in case you didn't know Mazda is notorious for not giving warranty coverage to any modded MS3 owners. However if you are like me and you don't care because a modded car is more fun I suggest a turbo back (turboXS), intake (heard good things about the K&N) and a Cobb access port.

After that slam it and put it on rims!!!

BTW Hatchback FTMFW!!!!!!!! Good choice for a DD.

Happy Modding.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 411 Likes on 228 Posts

Isn't there some Mazdaspeed mods that your dealer can install? I would stick with just that to keep the warranty intact.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

the Mazdaspeed CAI does not come with an airflow straightener and it causes the car to run like shit as soon as a lot of other BPU's are done. Its also not available anymore. The MS Coilovers are the actually the best coilovers currently available for it, (made by KW) and its the only suspension mod you will ever need (other than getting some wider wheels and tires).

Cobb AP sucks and some people make more power on the stock tune.

TurboXS makes good parts for the money, but there are better quality parts available. CP-E hands down makes the best parts for the car, engine mount, FMIC, CAI, SRI, downpipe, TBE. DNP and PG make decent exhaust manifolds for it, but Steed Speed has one coming out that is gonna be amazing. TRZ is supposedly developing a TMIC that looks to be promising for those that want to retain a sleeper look and not going to be going to a bigger turbo anyway. If you do want to tune, look at CP-E's standback and full control flash products. Couple of turbo inlets are available now too, CP-E should be releasing theirs soon which is probably worth waiting for.

Best short shifter available is the TWM, order it with the new shifter bushings too.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 9 2008, 04:04 PM
the Mazdaspeed CAI does not come with an airflow straightener and it causes the car to run like shit as soon as a lot of other BPU's are done. Its also not available anymore. The MS Coilovers are the actually the best coilovers currently available for it, (made by KW) and its the only suspension mod you will ever need (other than getting some wider wheels and tires).

TurboXS makes good parts for the money, but there are better quality parts available. CP-E hands down makes the best parts for the car, engine mount, FMIC, CAI, SRI, downpipe, TBE. DNP and PG make decent exhaust manifolds for it, but Steed Speed has one coming out that is gonna be amazing. TRZ is supposedly developing a TMIC that looks to be promising for those that want to retain a sleeper look and not going to be going to a bigger turbo anyway. If you do want to tune, look at CP-E's standback and full control flash products. Couple of turbo inlets are available now too, CP-E should be releasing theirs soon which is probably worth waiting for.

Best short shifter available is the TWM, order it with the new shifter bushings too.
I have been checking out CP-E a bit. One thing I want is to be able to reset the tune back to factor settings for when I bring the car in for service. Do I have that capability with CP-E's Full Control or Standback?
Old 11-09-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

i honestly don't know. but its the only option thats worth while if you are doing this to get more power. just doing the simple intake and downpipe and FMIC from CP-E though should get you up to around 280ish WHP. Gonna be hard to get much more than 300WHP on the stock turbo, so really thats the only mods id do. Personally because I am looking into ease of going back to stock I will probably end up doing the CP-E SRI and turbo inlet, a simple TMIC upgrade and just a test pipe, should be good for 260WHP easily and cheaply done, easily put back to stock when you are done playing.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy,Nov 9 2008, 07:04 PM

If you can still find the Mazdaspeed intake, you can buy the air straightner for $7. Thats what I did. Runs a lot smoother in throttle.