Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Modifying cars is such a pain in the ass!

Old 03-02-2013, 09:56 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Just a note: "better" and "best" are often the enemies of "good enough"! The more you try to make a car "the BEST", the higher cost and frustration levels rise. And the more devastated you'll be if/when things go bad.
Well said.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:20 PM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My extensive modding days are behind me I think. In my early/mid 20s my friends and I would have modding parties where we did all sorts of work to our cars. Now, with kids and a house, plus a nasty golf addiction, ain't nobody got time for all day modding parties, haha! If I can't do it in a few hours, I either don't want it done, or will pay someone else to do it. Plus, I like warranties.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
I can understand the desire to create something and the satisfaction of working with your hands. But, I simply don't have the sort of time to devote to a project like that. Between the parts and the tools, it's also hugely expensive. And there is a serious investment of your time just to gain the knowledge required. More on newer cars, less on older cars. And then there's the frustration noted by the OP when suppliers screw up and/or their "custom" parts don't fit properly. Then there's old Top Gear episode where the hosts more or less proved that spending thousands on premium parts "mods" (tires, brakes, aero, shocks, springs) on a relatively new Renault basically did absolutely nothing for lap times. They got the only tangible result from doing proper maintenance on the engine (plugs, oil, filters, belts, etc).

For all of those reasons, I just choose my cars carefully to match what I want and trust in the design team to have done their homework. The only "mods" I generally do are tires. The SRT6 is an exception because it's so damned easy and cheap to "mod" the S/C boost and tune the engine. A 28% increase in boost costs about $1,200. There's one part to install (about 20 minutes). And the ECU tune can be done remotely over a wifi connection in about 10 minutes.
So you think a stock car laps as fast as one with semi slick or extreme performance summer tyres, a BBK, a wing and splitter and high end suspension? Odd how then all the fastest S2Ks are highly modified.

I think that Renault needed a driver mod.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mezza
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1362237770' post='22375158
I can understand the desire to create something and the satisfaction of working with your hands. But, I simply don't have the sort of time to devote to a project like that. Between the parts and the tools, it's also hugely expensive. And there is a serious investment of your time just to gain the knowledge required. More on newer cars, less on older cars. And then there's the frustration noted by the OP when suppliers screw up and/or their "custom" parts don't fit properly. Then there's old Top Gear episode where the hosts more or less proved that spending thousands on premium parts "mods" (tires, brakes, aero, shocks, springs) on a relatively new Renault basically did absolutely nothing for lap times. They got the only tangible result from doing proper maintenance on the engine (plugs, oil, filters, belts, etc).

For all of those reasons, I just choose my cars carefully to match what I want and trust in the design team to have done their homework. The only "mods" I generally do are tires. The SRT6 is an exception because it's so damned easy and cheap to "mod" the S/C boost and tune the engine. A 28% increase in boost costs about $1,200. There's one part to install (about 20 minutes). And the ECU tune can be done remotely over a wifi connection in about 10 minutes.
So you think a stock car laps as fast as one with semi slick or extreme performance summer tyres, a BBK, a wing and splitter and high end suspension? Odd how then all the fastest S2Ks are highly modified.

I think that Renault needed a driver mod.

Wasn't that Renualt basically a minivan? As fun as the show is, I wouldn't take it for the end all, be all of performance info.