Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Modifying cars is such a pain in the ass!

Old 02-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifying cars is such a pain in the ass!

So this is kind of a venty/rant thread. I've been building my 240Z for the last few years off and on. Dealing with various shops, parts companies and their distributors and trying to piece together everything to build the "dream Z" has been a royal PITA. Example: I ordered a full set of defi gauges to replace my BF links and was told they were in stock. Nope.. So now on week 3 waiting for the distributor to send them to me direct - another 2 weeks. Wheels - same thing, a set of Works runs 2k +/- and a 9-12 week lead time.

I love this hobby and love building my ideal but between the hassles of dealing with the shop I had doing the cage, parts ordering delivery and communication issues (ever order from a Japanese company and try dealing with them?)) it's been a real PITA. I am starting to understand why people rock "built not bought" stickers - it certainly feels like a badge of honor. Lol.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I think the next build will be an old muscle car just for the sake of dealing with US companies (and more reasonable prices)!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like it would be much less of a hassle with off-the-shelf parts as opposed to custom built or limited quantity parts.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it was easy then everybody would do it. The time you devote to your car is paid back with the pride you have in it when you drive it down the road.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:30 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by baZurk
If it was easy then everybody would do it. The time you devote to your car is paid back with the pride you have in it when you drive it down the road.
And the constant liability of a money pit.
Imo the golden age of the backyarder is gone, now its more about how much you want to spend than knowledge and know how. Im more impressed with clean exposed welds done by hand than imported forged unobtainium rims in flavor of the month bronze. But i guess in a way its always been that way but it seems like the average old schoolers know their way around a wrench and welder than your modern tuner.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree, that's why I stopped doing it. With my 335 I could have gotten to mid 400 whp with some more bolt on parts like downpipes, meth kit etc but I didn't want to deal with the hassle. 400 whp was enough for me. I guess I'm getting old but I sure don't miss those late nights under a greasy car in my garage and 3 am parts runs to 24 hour autozone stores anymore. I just like driving my cars and doing occasional maintenance like oil changes and brake pads etc and that's only so I don't get gouged by shops.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:20 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I learned my lesson with modifying cars early on. Now I buy cars that are what I want from the get go rather than spend months or years working on a project. I'd rather enjoy the car than be frustrated by it and have to make it into what I want.

One reason I bought the S - no assembly required. I've modified little things as needed/desired, but the car itself was what I wanted from the start.

There is a thread in the motorcycle forum here about a guy who was custom building a bike from the ground up - custom everything fabbed - it went on for a few years but I think the guy eventually lost interest in either posting here or finishing the job. In the time that build thread has been going on, I've enjoyed riding two different motorcycles.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been bit by idiot vendors in the past with stupid crap like saying something is in stock when it's not. See how fast I take my business elsewhere. With how bad the economy is, these vendors should be bending over backwards to give awesome service and keep as much repeat business as possible.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:53 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I learned my lesson with modifying cars early on. Now I buy cars that are what I want from the get go rather than spend months or years working on a project. I'd rather enjoy the car than be frustrated by it and have to make it into what I want.

One reason I bought the S - no assembly required. I've modified little things as needed/desired, but the car itself was what I wanted from the start.

There is a thread in the motorcycle forum here about a guy who was custom building a bike from the ground up - custom everything fabbed - it went on for a few years but I think the guy eventually lost interest in either posting here or finishing the job. In the time that build thread has been going on, I've enjoyed riding two different motorcycles.

For people like me though, building it is even more fun that driving it. I have a strong desire to be creative and make things with my hands. Driving is fun but puting it all together is really the best (and indeed, the most frustrating) part.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I built up my 240Z gradually over the course of about 6 years, never any tough issues. Started bone stock, ended up a very good street/track compromise car, running with and beating C5 Z06s, Vipers, 911 turbos, etc. in its and my heyday
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Welcome to the world of modding. Nothing, ever, goes according to plan. I recently built a 170 RWHP sportbike and acquired parts over a 2 year period. We didn't turn a wrench until all parts were present due to having gone through this before. Painful to wait, but much less stress and heartache.

Quick Reply: Modifying cars is such a pain in the ass!