Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Modified Audi TT

Old 03-01-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Audi TT

A quick note... I drive a Toyota Camry so my views on how "fast" these cars are may be skewed by my own "mis-fortune" I have, however, ridden in an 12 second (12.25 to be exact) 1988 Volkswagon Quantum station wagon so I know what a fast car feels like.

It is my spring break and I finished up with all of the "partying" Monday so I've got nothing to do all week. Yesterday I test drove a 2002 Acura RSX type S. I was quite impressed and had a blast. I had such a blast that I decided to make a day out of it today. I started at autotrader.com and made a few calls. I first went to the Acura dealer and test drove an 04 TL (slightly more power than the 05+). I was VERY impressed with how quick the car was. It was a good bit quicker than the RSX from the previous day and had all of the bells and whistles one could ask for -- minus the A-spec kit

Next stop was a Dodge dealership down the road that had a used 2001 Audi TT that I was informed was traded in for a Charger... wtf? As I get in the car the salesman mentions that the previous owner "chipped" the car and that it may have other modifications as well. My only thought is "****ing A." I drive around for a few minutes to let the car warm up and get a feel for it. Not knowing the car well, I wasn't about to launch it so at each light, for the next 4 blocks, I do the following procedure:
1. Roll the car to about 20mph
2. Shift to second
3. Check for cops and traffic
4. Put it to the floor and hold on for dear life.
Second gear was just under 3k rpm at this point and once the turbo spooled at 3k you were gone. Had I have run the car properly there would be no lag at all as each upshift leaves you well above 3k. I headed for the interstate however traffic was just starting to muck things up so I couldn't let her loose all the way. On the enterance ramp I checked the (stock) boost gauge and it held a steady 21psi once spooled. I was amazed by this alone. I know that chipping these cars adds boost but 21psi??? dayum! I'm going to check the audi boards in a bit to see if the stock turbos are capable of this or if this car had an aftermarket turbo as well. I have no doubt in my mind that this car could have run a low to mid 12 quarter mile as it felt every bit as quick as my friends car. FYI $21k Greenwood, IN; Hubler Dodge if anyone is interested

LINKY!

Also, I'm going to test drive an S2k this weekend so maybe I can get a more direct comparison after that
Old 03-01-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_sharp,Mar 1 2006, 09:53 PM
I first went to the Acura dealer and test drove an 04 TL (slightly more power than the 05+).
Not true. Exact same engine, same power, but new standards for measuring hp.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:32 PM

that audi is 1.8T, and as quick as they are its hard to get that car in low 12s, hard and expensive. Maybe it felt fast, its kinda like driving a wrx vs s2000, wrx feels faster, but its about the same or slower.

The quickest TT Ive seen did a 1.4 in 12.970 with single ko4 at 26 psi/fmic and a n2o kit by wizards of nos.

Hence I doubt that your Audi was a low 12s car...
Old 03-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Former Moderator

Yup....turbo cars FEEL fast. The "yank" of them is much greater in something like that over something like an RSX or an S2000. In reality, they arent that fast. Spool doesnt last long (3000-6500 rpms) and they are problematic.

A TT is not doing 12s. A TT that did 12s, the dealer wouldnt be able to warranty anything (major major mods) and you would know it.

Dont let the turbo fool you. In city traffic, a 1.8T VW feels a TON faster than an s2000. The reality, its a much slower car.

(the above statement obviously isnt for all turbo cars, ie 911TT, S4, etc, but regular turbo cars, ie SAAB, Volvo, etc)
Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 AM

with everyone else

TTs arent very fast stock. if it didnt have a FMIC, then chances are its not an upgraded turbo. if you didnt hear a loud BOV, im sure its not running low 12s (usually cars running those times will have atmospheric BOVs). 21psi is probably on the tiny stock turbos. dont let psi fool you, psi is relative to turbo size. i.e. - you could have a tiny T25 turbo pushing 22psi, and a PT61mm turbo running 12psi, and depending on the car, the PT61 could be running more power at a lower psi. think of the evo, everyone thinks 19-21psi is like "OMG SO MUCH BOOST" but that turbo is so tiny, it needs to make 20psi just to get the evo to 225whp (stock). bottom line is, torque makes cars feel faster; which is why domestic owners think their cars are so much faster than ours, when in reality, not all of them are...

also, chips do a lot for german/turbo cars - thats probably why it felt 'fast' - also, did it have an aftermarket exhaust? no exhaust...def not in the 12s.
-Chris
Old 03-02-2006, 08:11 AM

TT's are the suck.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:19 AM
bkw

The 225TT comes with a K04, with a GIAC or APR chip, you'll see boosts in the 20's for the GIAC and about 18-22 in the APR. 21lbs of boost may seem high, but considering the size of the turbo, 21psi isnt pushing out that much more power. I believe that after 18psi, the K04 actually begins loosing power as it is over utilized. Another point of concern for the K04 at those high boost temps is the design of the turbo itself. The rod inside the turbo has been known to melt and fail at increased temperatures. On my K04 A4, I had never experienced it, but have read some cases of people who had. I highly doubt the previous owner swapped out the K04 for a GT25 or GT28 as the engine compartment looks pretty stock, and it does not have the FMIC which is a part of the APR 3+ kit.

With the GIAC and APR chips, power is around 260hp/260tq, and theres no way the car is a low to mid 12 second car.

Personally, I would try to stay away from a chipped or modified Audi, especially if you dont know whom the previous owner is. Audi parts and service can get very pricey.

We had a member here named Jenner who had a seriously modified TT.. if you can pm him, im sure he'd be able to help you out.. then again, he's not in a 911TT Cab so he may not check these forums at all anymore

Post on audiworld's TT forum and maybe you'll find the previous owner.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the info guys... like I said just about everything feels fast to me so my views are a bit skewed. Maybe I will take my friend with the quick VW to this dealership and see what he has to say about the car... he is an Audi nut and he knows just about everything there is to know about anything remotely related to audi. After this drive, however, I am really, really wanting a turbo on my next car. I hope the S2000 won't dissapoint this weekend (sarcasm)
Old 03-02-2006, 09:29 AM

Also... the car didn't have a warranty... "as-is, no warranty" and had 67k on it. And after doing some research last night, 20psi can be ahieved by just chipping but as far as BOV's go... from what i've read, these cars have "diverter valves" which are apparently more efficient by placing the air back into the system after the shift. Ergo an aftermarket bov may actually hinder performance.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by dr_sharp,Mar 2 2006, 01:29 PM
Also... the car didn't have a warranty... "as-is, no warranty" and had 67k on it. And after doing some research last night, 20psi can be ahieved by just chipping but as far as BOV's go... from what i've read, these cars have "diverter valves" which are apparently more efficient by placing the air back into the system after the shift. Ergo an aftermarket bov may actually hinder performance.
an atmospheric BOV might hinder performance, but not a recirculating one, which is similar to what a div. valve does.
-Chris

Quick Reply: Modified Audi TT