Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MKV GTI or Civic Si?

Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MKV GTI or Civic Si?

Hi I'm considering getting one of these cars does anyone have any experiece with them on the track?

From what I've read the GTI is more of a daily driver with good straight line HP and Civic Si is better suited for track purpose. I go to the track maybe 4-5 times a year. Basically, I'm liking the GTI more in almost every aspect (styling, easy hp gains, HIDs, interior etc.) but what I'm concerned about is its handling and I'm alomost certain the Civic Si win here. The GTI weights 3200lbs., has no LSD and worst of all no front camber adjustability (no after market camber kit avaliable for it).

So my question is has any driven/seen both on the track?
Is the GTI really that far off from the Civic Si in terms of track performance?
How do their lap times compare?
Will adding a LSD to the GTI help it match the Civic Si's handling?

Also like to hear form people who has driven RSX Type-S since its almost the same car as the Civic Si.

btw I'm asking this here because I want objective opinions and I'm sure S2000 guys know what "handling" is. Responses from the GTI forums were "dont worry it handles awsome", "beat the crap out of any rice box" etc. lol
Old 05-05-2007, 06:54 PM

btw I'm getting the idea that Civic Si "handles good" from the SCCA forums. People were able to get-close-to/match lap times of the Mini Cooper in GStock with the Civic Si. Now, I know auto-x isnt the same as a road course; nevertheless, its a good indication. Hope to hear your thoughts on this matter guys
Old 05-05-2007, 06:57 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would likely go for the GTI. Bench racing seems to favor it. One of the mags just had it beating the si around the track -- if you can believe them. The Honda would likely be more trouble free and it is a great car. I just like the GTI better.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:52 PM

I like both, but I would more than likely opt for the GTI.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM

I ended up with the Civic Si after considering both the GTI and Si.... The GTI has things like HID and Factory Leather, DSG, but I liked the Civic Si overall a bit more in terms of the drive, LSD, and much lower price point. Fully loaded GTI's sticker just over 30K I believe, and my Civic Si with Nav and Summer Tires MSRP was 23.8 something, got it close to invoice at about 22K.

It was a very tough decision, in the end felt that I'd rather not spend the extra 6k or so on the GTI. I have 2 cars. If it was my only car, I probably would've gotten the GTI, get a good combo of luxury and performance.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A lot of magazines have been featuring a comparison between the Cooper S, Civic Si, GTI, MS3, and usually a WRX as well. The MS3 has consistently stayed on top, and usually the Civic comes in better than the GTI. And that's amongst most major car mags (Motor Trend, Road and Track, Car and Driver, etc.)
Old 05-06-2007, 05:19 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Good question. Based on what I've seen and read, I think I'd prefer the GTI hypothetically. However, real world, I may be inclined to the Si due to it's lower price and perceived better reliability long-term.

That said, the GTI is a damn nice ride with DSG, nice interior/exterior, 2.0T motor, etc.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've driven both and prefer the GTI. I drove both as a possible DD replacement. The drive train is much better for me for DD purposes and can be bumped to crazy output with a chip flash.

ALthough the GTI doesn't have a mechanical LSD, it does use the ABS system to measure side to side wheels spin and when it detects one spinning more than the other it will apply breaking to the spinning wheel which send TQ to the other. I still prefer a real LSD instead of this simulated one, but I have the same set up in my GTI VR6 and had no issues with it and is also helpful in snow and bad driving conditions.

The DSG on the GTI is outstanding.....it does remove a bit of driver engagement. Now comes with Lauch Control.....cool.

Interior is better on the GTI....lots.

Cost does go to the Si however. The GTI I looked at was priced at 25k MSRP with DSG.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:14 AM

I've actually driven both before I bought my S. I'd say it's a toss up between the two as they are both pretty nice cars.

Civic:
-2 tier dash (love or hate thing)
-likes to be revved for power
-razor sharp handling
-smooth gearbox and crisp shifts

GTi
-refined
-dsg option/ leather
-instant power with minimal to no lag

MotorTrend said it best in the June 06 edition:

1. Honda Civic Si
"Innovative design, unflappable chassis, silky and lively powertrain--a modern-day Integra Type R."

2. Volkswagen GTi
"Torque a-plenty, solid structure, refined interior and manners, but too gentlemanlike--at least in this area."
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 AM

First the disclaimer; I have a GTI w. DSG and I love it as a daily driver.

What pushed me to get one was following a friend who was driving a GTI well on a track day (myself in my S2000). I thought it would be a piece of cake to run circles around him, but actually I had to concentrate to catch him and then keep up. We were going to maybe 8/10ths, but fast enough to catch and pass quite a few cars e.g. a Mini CS (who actually spun out trying to keep up).

The GTI does it all for me, quoting J. Clarkson "You can take the kids to school, safely, comfortably and then drive home like you sat on a wasp...".

That said almost all car mags rate either the Civic Type R (we don't get the Si here) or the MS3 higher as pure track cars. They then continue to say that the GTI is the best all-rounder.

So the choice is yours; if you see the track very often then get the MS3/Si, if you look for primarily a DD then the GTI.

Quick Reply: MKV GTI or Civic Si?