Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

MKIV .:R32

Old 08-28-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MKIV .:R32

let me just state for the record that im not a VW fan. i have has a closet love for VW's VR6's engines, and cars powered by them.

i have always had a quiet respect for the .:R32 and admired its balance of typical german luxury and sportiness.

next summer ive been cleared for a sub 25k car purchase. i like to plan early, and ive been considering a lanudry list of cars.

E46 M3
C5 vette
SVT cobra
Camaros
.:R32
NSX(yea right, cant find one in my range)
GTO
STi
Evo

thats just what comes to mind off the cuff. i dont have a goal for this car, thats way the list is so varied and hoge-poge. part of me appeals to the american muscle, my new found german love likes the subtle luxury, and my JDM side likes the AWD STi/evo.

and here is where the R32 fits in. its got the AWD JDMness, the german luxo, and a small bit of muscle, plus the R32 is one of the best sounding production cars. and yes im serious. with some simple bolt ons its moderately fast, yet soild and luxo.

this leads me to my inquiry of past owners. are they relaible enough. ive learned that no German is like a Japanese but are they more reliable then other VW's? also how is it in everyday/track/canyon driving.

thanks guys, i know my car talk bro's will deliver.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised you are even considering an STI over an Evo. I know you love them Evos. LOL
Old 08-28-2008, 08:44 PM

I think the R32 is a great package. I had the new MkV for a while, but found the DSG a bit boring, despite being a great transmission for what it is.

Other than that, the AWD, handling and exhaust note were great.

If you're okay with the DSG, you can probably get an 08 for that 25K price. I know the sales of the MkV were hit pretty hard with the rise in gas prices.

Sometimes I miss it, but I needed something bigger in the end for my only car.

If America got the 5 door R32 that Europe had, that would've been a little bit better.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I love R32's, im somewhat in the same situation that you are in. Here is what I have read based on my research on the sti.

STI
You better be looking at the 04-06 sti's. THe 07 and 08's have horrible ECM map which causes the motor to detonate. Many people have this issue and some have even had multiple motors replaced. The motor runs dangerously lean after 4k when it is being pushed hard. Even after the dealer remap many have reported that the problem was still there and was only a band aid.

It sounds like you have made up your mind. Since your into a somewhat luxo vehicle, I would steer clear of the evo. The interior looks and feels VERY cheap. The R32 seems to suit you just fine. My friend has one and test driven another. The interior is very upscale feeling and has the best interior out of all the other cars that you have mentioned. It seems to have the most perfect balance of what you are looking for .Decent power, sweet interior, and a great mix of that DTM/euro/jdm style that can be applied to it.

If I were in your shoes, it seems that since you already have the M3 which has decent interior, Id be all up for muscle and skull cracking torque. The corvette, camaro, or even cobra would definitely suit your need for speed. My choice?? Definitely a terminator cobra, throw on some bassanis, a higher boost pulley with a tune etc. and call it a day!

GTO
might as well get a corvette/camaro that is light years ahead in the handling department. Looks are so-so and weight would be a killer.

E46 M3
For 25k your going to get an 02-03 with middle to higher miles. Possible VANOS problems and a fat bill to pay if something goes wrong. Take your 25k and sink it into a car that better suits your needs and budget (ie R32). You can get a newer, lower mileaged, better kept car for the same price.

what I think you should get??
R32, end of story.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

evo is betta
Old 08-28-2008, 09:34 PM

I'd say E46 M3. But I've heard that maintenance is a beotch on those.

On a side note no C5/Mustang/GTO/etc. please. I bet you can find a 1st gen NSX sub 25K if you look hard enough.

So... NSX or E46 M3.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Wow, version i couldnt sum up my view on VWs better, I'm in the same boat as you. In high school, I secretly pined for a Corrado SLC (the first us application of the vr6 motor). From my research of those engines back then, they're a pretty rock solid engine and tranny, just the rest of the car fell apart (door handles, sunroofs, moldings, crazy windows, foglights, glove compartment, all of which are expensive), but when you do need to get it repaired it will cost a decent amount of money.
I love the MKIV R32s, much more than the current gen, and everytime I see one in person I always need to take a closer look. Yeah, best engine noise for anything under 50K. Stay away from eiptuning.com, you're going to get yourself into so much trouble, it's like taking a pedaphile to disneyland.
To address the rest of your list:
F body for me is meh (and I really wanted one back in teh day too), rather have the vette.
I know a guy who autocrosses cobras, so I know they're capable, but based on your tastes it's going to come up short on the lux department, and again I'd rather have a vette.
NSX, HA!
EVO and STI, both great cars, but I question the long term durability of the EVO (still not confirmed if mitsubishi finally got rid of the crankwalk problem once and for all) and as an ex 2Ger, that's enough for me to be concerned. Love STIs though, but I love coupes so yeah...
M3 on a budget?
For me it'd be either the vette or the r32, maaaaaybe an 07+ Z.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would take the e46. but for reliability issues..

consider the is300?

i just really this car..
Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

are you keeping your e36? if you are then skip the r32 as you already have some german luxury.

you know about my past; had an Evo 9 with bolt ons, now an impreza coupe with 05 sti swap.

i'd pick the Evo over the STi. i'd only take the STi engine/tranny in the light gc chassis, and i take this combo over the Evo. i just don't like heavier/big cars, but the Evos are just stupid easy to make stupid power. in my experience my Evo is rock solid and never had a problem with 330whp and 30k miles.

one of my good friends has a blue mkIV R32. all he does is complain about how weak and slow and heavy it is. the combination of its weak power and heavy weight makes the car subpar in acceleration AND handling. also IIRC it isn't full time AWD; it's FWD until slippage is detected in the rear (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

all i know is the R32 was his dream car for the longest time and now he's finally got it he's always complaining about it. AFAIK he bought it with 40k miles on the clock and he hasn't had a single issue yet after a year and a half, but i'm not sure how often he drives it. the exhaust note definitely is in a world of its own though. last time i talked to him he was seriously considering throwing a supercharger on it cuz i think he got wasted by a bolt-on rsx-s or something lol

knowing you i think it's time for you to pick up an Evo you've had quite a history with them. or if you really want power just get the terminator.

if i were u i'd get the c5 z06, after driving one i'm in love. 116mph stock in the 1/4 and awesome handling...win.

bottom line if you're keeping the E36, get the Evo/terminator/c5 z06 for a nice compliment. if not then i guess it's up to you how much compromise you want to make between performance/luxury. one thing i've heard from my friends with higher mileage e46 m3's is that their interior also rattle like hell...just something to keep in mind.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHooby,Aug 29 2008, 02:43 AM
i would take the e46. but for reliability issues..

consider the is300?

i just really this car..
Chic car. But hey if you like go for it.

Quick Reply: MKIV .:R32