Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mk7 Golf R

Old 08-21-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing wrong with quoting numbers but 1/4 mile times aren't everything and the people who are buying the Golf R certainly aren't that bothered. Tuning is easy with APR and the other vendors out there to put more power in as you wish.

Not sure i'd say the Golf R won the war between the 3 becuase it's only been available for part of the time the evo/sti have been available.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL at those of you who act like VW is trying to compete against the STI and Evo on the track. VW targets the real world more, and they'd get my money between the 3 for a street car. If I was picking from the 3 for a track car, Evo would be a no-brainer. BTW, I'd expect VW to be more reliable than Subaru on the track. My wife had a Jetta TDI for 80+K miles, and it was rock solid. Conversely, I'm considering a BRZ for a commuter car, and would be nervous to track it very hard for fear of blowing an engine. Subies fail fairly regularly at track events here in TX.

The VW I really want is the GTD - hurry up and come to America!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 12' Golf R and previously an 08' STI hatch, I would undoubtedly have the R over the STI any day of the week. Stock for stock yes the STI is definitely faster, AWD system better. The Golf R is the best all around daily driver I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of cars. The interior quality is light years beyond the Subie, and forget about build quality. No joke in the STI when I closed the hood the whole front end shook like it wasn't connected solidly to anything. When you factor in all the options, I paid $35k for my R a year ago and they are even cheaper now, it is a 4 door hatch that has Keyless entry and start, Sunroof, AWD, Navigation, blue Tooth, Leather, Heated Seats, HID's, Auto up/down on ALL 4 windows (japan take notice so simple and so useful), dynaudio system. If you equip the GTI with all these options the price gap is more like $4-5k depending upon price and with the Golf R you get a built up motor with Forged Crank, K04 turbo, and a good AWD system.

Check the VW forums, United Motorsports with an intake, downpipe, Fuel pump, and a tune on stock tires and stock clutch ran 12.5 1/4's consistently. The R responds very well to mods and you can still feel good driving it every day. My insurance is half of what it was in the STI because they price it the same as a Golf, I can fit my two kids in their car seats in the back, and stream Pandora for them to listen too.

Everything that matters to me at this point in my life while still having a fun, sporty car to drive, is much much better in the Golf R than the STI was. That is the reason I was willing to pay $35k for a "golf". There is nothing on the market today that offers all of that in one package at that price. I imagine the MK7 R will be even better with the revised motor and Variable timing on both intake and exhaust cams. it will be a great car and in my opinion worth the price of admission.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
LOL at those of you who act like VW is trying to compete against the STI and Evo on the track. VW targets the real world more, and they'd get my money between the 3 for a street car. If I was picking from the 3 for a track car, Evo would be a no-brainer. BTW, I'd expect VW to be more reliable than Subaru on the track. My wife had a Jetta TDI for 80+K miles, and it was rock solid. Conversely, I'm considering a BRZ for a commuter car, and would be nervous to track it very hard for fear of blowing an engine. Subies fail fairly regularly at track events here in TX.

The VW I really want is the GTD - hurry up and come to America!
It's coming. Road tests were favorable. The GTD and R are on my shortlist along with the new STi. Gonna be a tough decision and yes I think the new R is definitely going to be an outstanding car. STi power levels and 18% increase in fuel efficiency. Forged internals, can't wait.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Golf R is 100x nicer to live with than an Evo or STi - where these cars will be 99% of the time
Old 08-22-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dav9515
I own a 12' Golf R and previously an 08' STI hatch, I would undoubtedly have the R over the STI any day of the week. Stock for stock yes the STI is definitely faster, AWD system better. The Golf R is the best all around daily driver I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of cars. The interior quality is light years beyond the Subie, and forget about build quality. No joke in the STI when I closed the hood the whole front end shook like it wasn't connected solidly to anything. When you factor in all the options, I paid $35k for my R a year ago and they are even cheaper now, it is a 4 door hatch that has Keyless entry and start, Sunroof, AWD, Navigation, blue Tooth, Leather, Heated Seats, HID's, Auto up/down on ALL 4 windows (japan take notice so simple and so useful), dynaudio system. If you equip the GTI with all these options the price gap is more like $4-5k depending upon price and with the Golf R you get a built up motor with Forged Crank, K04 turbo, and a good AWD system.

Check the VW forums, United Motorsports with an intake, downpipe, Fuel pump, and a tune on stock tires and stock clutch ran 12.5 1/4's consistently. The R responds very well to mods and you can still feel good driving it every day. My insurance is half of what it was in the STI because they price it the same as a Golf, I can fit my two kids in their car seats in the back, and stream Pandora for them to listen too.

Everything that matters to me at this point in my life while still having a fun, sporty car to drive, is much much better in the Golf R than the STI was. That is the reason I was willing to pay $35k for a "golf". There is nothing on the market today that offers all of that in one package at that price. I imagine the MK7 R will be even better with the revised motor and Variable timing on both intake and exhaust cams. it will be a great car and in my opinion worth the price of admission.
Not awd but the new mazdaspeed 3 is a pretty nice hatch. Interior Look great and the fact it's a Mazda alone means it will hold better value and be less of a headache, not to mention its a lot cheaper and faster. There is so many turbo hatches now days take your pick
Old 08-22-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by woodburn
Not awd but the new mazdaspeed 3 is a pretty nice hatch. Interior Look great and the fact it's a Mazda alone means it will hold better value and be less of a headache, not to mention its a lot cheaper and faster. There is so many turbo hatches now days take your pick
the mazda 3 has never been on the same level in terms of interior quality next to the Golf/GTI. & it might be faster but it handles like shit. torque steer out the ass. I'd take a GTI over a ms3 anyway, let alone a golf r.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by woodburn' timestamp='1377221228' post='22740104

the mazda 3 has never been on the same level in terms of interior quality next to the Golf/GTI. & it might be faster but it handles like shit. torque steer out the ass. I'd take a GTI over a ms3 anyway, let alone a golf r.
Out of all 12 auto makers in the world VW is ranked in the bottom 3 of the worst cars to buy. That alone should sway your opinion. Now i agree that Audi and VW look nice and have a nicer feel but the little electrical problems and many others things that go wrong with them will nickel and dime you to death. I would love to jump into an m3 or Audi but the resale value and know problems....I don't trust German cars as far as I can throw them.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by woodburn
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1377224898' post='22740191
[quote name='woodburn' timestamp='1377221228' post='22740104']

Out of all 12 auto makers in the world VW is ranked in the bottom 3 of the worst cars to buy. That alone should sway your opinion. Now i agree that Audi and VW look nice and have a nicer feel but the little electrical problems and many others things that go wrong with them will nickel and dime you to death. I would love to jump into an m3 or Audi but the resale value and know problems....I don't trust German cars as far as I can throw them.
[/quote]

worst to buy for what? reliability? yippee who cares? You've mentioned that many times before. If you can't afford a german car, good for you. But there are plenty of people that can. I don't give a shit about reliability b.c i don't keep most of my cars past warranty. At least their not like Subaru who doesn't even cover major issues even during the warranty.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by woodburn' timestamp='1377230590' post='22740317
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1377224898' post='22740191']
[quote name='woodburn' timestamp='1377221228' post='22740104']

[/quote]

worst to buy for what? reliability? yippee who cares? You've mentioned that many times before. If you can't afford a german car, good for you. But there are plenty of people that can. I don't give a shit about reliability b.c i don't keep most of my cars past warranty. At least their not like Subaru who doesn't even cover major issues even during the warranty.
[/quote]

If its not reliable how can you say it's a solid car? It has leather? If the windows don't work and the interior lights work when they want how can you say it's a solid car? Toyota is a solid car, honda is a solid car, VW is not a solid car. Who cares what it does if it falls apart. Your logic is not sound unless you just that rich. Most rich people I know still care about a cars ratings.

Quick Reply: Mk7 Golf R