Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mk7 Golf R

Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Still overpriced, still won't outhandle an Evo or STI, still a VW.

NOPE.
The current 260hp Golf R is .2 seconds slower around VIR than the WRX STI. Given it's horsepower deficit, I'd give the handling edge to the Golf. The next R makes up the deficit, and will be faster and more luxurious than the STI.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

had a MK5 R32 and 3 years since I sold mine they are still selling for low 20's
Old 08-20-2013, 07:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by woodburn' timestamp='1377043186' post='22735858
And still one of the most unreaible cars on the market with not to great resale value. VW are not solid cars
you had to say it 3 times?

Resale on the Golf R & GTI is pretty good actually. & reliability isn't the only factor when looking at a car. Shit your acting like STIs are dead reliable

I don't know why it did that?

Anyway I was referring more to the evo being a lot better car as performance goes. I mean shit look at the track times people are getting in there MR's. me personally a cars reliability is one of the really important things. For 30k I would buy a used z06 or an evo.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 20aeman
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1377037182' post='22735701

NOPE.
The current 260hp Golf R is .2 seconds slower around VIR than the WRX STI. Given it's horsepower deficit, I'd give the handling edge to the Golf. The next R makes up the deficit, and will be faster and more luxurious than the STI.
I just threw STI in there for fun, everyone knows that Evos are much faster around a track than an STI on average. The current STI is soft as hell and not up to par with old STI's. You think it's impressive that a 2014 model year Golf R can barely keep up with an STI generation that was introduced back in what, 2007? 6 years later and VW is just in time to get stomped by the next-gen WRX/STI, lol. Not to mention they still can't hold a candle to the 6 year old Evo X.

There is an STI that is competitive this year at Redline Time Attack though, the driver is awesome.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
Originally Posted by 20aeman' timestamp='1377052819' post='22736134
[quote name='Disgustipated' timestamp='1377037182' post='22735701']

NOPE.
I just threw STI in there for fun, everyone knows that Evos are much faster around a track than an STI on average. The current STI is soft as hell and not up to par with old STI's. You think it's impressive that a 2014 model year Golf R can barely keep up with an STI generation that was introduced back in what, 2007? 6 years later and VW is just in time to get stomped by the next-gen WRX/STI, lol. Not to mention they still can't hold a candle to the 6 year old Evo X.

There is an STI that is competitive this year at Redline Time Attack though, the driver is awesome.
[/quote]

It's not VW's fault that Subaru hasn't appreciably improved the STI since it's launch in the U.S. It's also not VW's fault that Mitsubishi has left the Evo to stagnate for 6 years either. The Golf was always the more sophisticated, luxurious, and slower option to the Evo and STI. It's just that over the years, VW has improved the R to a point where it still maintains a distinct advantage in sophistication/luxury, but the performance advantage that the Evo/STI once had has dwindled to nothing. For the 2014 model year, the Golf R will be faster than the STI, and very close to, if not slightly faster than the Evo (while having an exponentially better interior than both).

Given Subaru's history, the next gen STI will be even crappier than the current gen. And who knows if there'll even be an Evo 11. Subaru/Mitsubishi won the early battles, but VW won the war.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:37 PM

Had an 04 R32 and never had a problem with it at all for the 3 years of ownership and 60k miles.Was comfortable and fun and great all around
Old 08-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1377064877' post='22736381
[quote name='20aeman' timestamp='1377052819' post='22736134']

NOPE.

[/quote]

It's not VW's fault that Subaru hasn't appreciably improved the STI since it's launch in the U.S. It's also not VW's fault that Mitsubishi has left the Evo to stagnate for 6 years either. The Golf was always the more sophisticated, luxurious, and slower option to the Evo and STI. It's just that over the years, VW has improved the R to a point where it still maintains a distinct advantage in sophistication/luxury, but the performance advantage that the Evo/STI once had has dwindled to nothing. For the 2014 model year, the Golf R will be faster than the STI, and very close to, if not slightly faster than the Evo (while having an exponentially better interior than both).

Given Subaru's history, the next gen STI will be even crappier than the current gen. And who knows if there'll even be an Evo 11. Subaru/Mitsubishi won the early battles, but VW won the war.
[/quote]

It is way too early for you to making these ass-umptions. let's let the new cars release, get into tester's hands and see what's up. Saying one new, unreleased car is better than the other is fvcking stupid.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like any other R32/Golf R thread the STi/Evo comparisons are natural. Yes, it will not go around the track as fast, big deal. Honestly how many people seriously track their car and need to have the car that is 1 second faster just to know they are faster than it's closest competitor?

People buy this car because it's the nicer car. That being said, when bought new they are expensive for what they offer, it's hard to justify the price when you can get a GTI for 10k less, add an OEM K04 and have the same engine setup sans the AWD.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

With 1 kid, 2 dogs, and another kid in the oven, I'd seriously consider trading my TL in for a used GTI. I'll leave the track duties to the S
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1377064877' post='22736381
[quote name='20aeman' timestamp='1377052819' post='22736134']

NOPE.

[/quote]

[/quote]

so the last gen golf runs a 14 flat in the 1/4....the sti/evo runs a 13.3/13.2 stock....that is not close my friend

Quick Reply: Mk7 Golf R