Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mitsubishi Dealers

Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mitsubishi Dealers

I live in NJ and all the Mitsubishi Dealers around me don't allow you to test drive the Evos. Which in my opinion is very stupid because I think most people won't buy a car unless you test drive it.

Is it like this in your dealers to? Definitely want to see what the X drives like. But if they wont let me test drive it... don't know what to do.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you actually planning on possibly buying one?
If you're just showing up and hoping for a joyride, it's not surprising that they would turn you down.
Sit down with a salesman and talk a few numbers to make them more reassured that you are going to drop some cash on a car and they will sing a different tune.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:42 AM

It's all about how you ask for a test drive. If you go into a dealership, go up to a salesperson and ask for a test drive of the hottest car they have 9 out of 10 times they will just assume your going for a joyride and turn you down (being young doesn't help either). Sit down with a salesperson, explain that your looking for a car and bring up the point that you've already looked at other cars in the smae price range (STI for example). This will show that your not joyriding, but just compairing cars that are similar. It also helps to drive up in a nice car, as salespeople look at what you drive and what you wear as an indication if you have enough $$ to buy the car your looking at.

If that doesn't work you can always adjust your game and act like the spoiled rich kid (assuming your under 25). That one worked for me at a Lotus dealer right after the Elises came out .
Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 AM

Received 402 Likes on 302 Posts

Walk in there, properly dressed (don't need a suit or a tie, but you should dress well) and let the sales manager know it's between this car and this car, etc. I plan on doing it late next year. I want to test drive the X and the new Sti and I will buy whichever one I decide on. From what I'm told, years and years ago, they'd throw you the keys to one for the weekend (domestics) to try it out if they thought you were serious.

I won't buy a car without driving it first, and it has to be a lengthy test drive. I'm am amazed that people will drop thousands and thousands on something without ever trying it out. That is like marrying some lady that you just met, you've looked at her, and festered over her, but you haven't got to touch her. One day you show up to meet her for the first time and you get married. Pretty dumb.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing in md, pulled up in an 06 330i..dressed perfectly well...said they have to check my credit first...well go check it then...oh credit thing is closed on saturdays after 12pm...stfu salesman u dont think i will buy the car...went to honda...s2000 in the driveway
Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by sparrow,Oct 3 2007, 07:50 AM
same thing in md, pulled up in an 06 330i..dressed perfectly well...said they have to check my credit first...well go check it then...oh credit thing is closed on saturdays after 12pm...stfu salesman u dont think i will buy the car...went to honda...s2000 in the driveway
<Pesci voice>Bada bing, bada boom. Fuged'aboud'it!</Pesci voice>

Old 10-03-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I showed up in a Z06, wearing my work clothes (polo, slacks, nice shoes.) I spent a while going over the cars they had on the lot, asking questions, comparing to the STi, etc. When I finally asked for a test drive, the dealer was STILL hesitant. He did let me drive one, but wouldn't let me go WOT or rev the engine up at all.

I drove down the street to look at the STi and the dealer offered a test drive within just a few minutes of me being there, and was pushing me to romp on it.

If I had liked ANYTHING about the STi at ALL I might have bought one, but I just couldn't find anything to like about that car.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,Oct 3 2007, 09:21 AM
From what I'm told, years and years ago, they'd throw you the keys to one for the weekend (domestics) to try it out if they thought you were serious.
Not exactly. They would give you a 24hr "test drive" which was really more like a 24hr peroid to return the car if you didn't like it. You would sign all the purchase paperwork before driving it away.

BTW -- I have gotten test drives in Corvettes without MUCH trouble, although they are getting more picky about it.

I can also remember one funny story of a dealership letting me take a 1999 Trans Am out on a test drive. The car had 80,000mi on it, and he got mad at me when I shifted from 1-2 at redline. I promptly turned the car around and took it back. I have never been to that dealership since.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:04 AM

i worked at a mitsubishi dealership when the evos came out. yes, they didn't let anybody test drive them for awhile. eventually, they set up a demo car. and when used evos started showing up, they used those cars as demos since you could run them harder.

but yes, as someone stated earlier. it's all about presence. if you come in there looking like you've got money and can talk smooth, you're good. a nice car wouldn't hurt either. that way, they know whether you can afford the car or not.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could show up in jeans and a hanes-t...Do you dress up to go shopping in nordstroms...check my credit and let me test drive...Guess i should wear church clothes to go house shopping as well.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi Dealers