Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mitsu kills the Evo... finally... :D

Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

....and the loss of the Evo is surprising to no one.

Too bad, it was a nifty little rally car.

I think Mitsu's passenger line is also not long for the USA......
Old 04-02-2014, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s a real shame to see yet another affordable, practical, reliable car built by and for driving enthusiasts die off.

I’ve owned an Evo IX since new. My car is still stock and covered under the original factory drivetrain warranty, although I’ve never had to make any warranty claim. The only thing that has ever failed on this car in 7.5 years of me owning it is that one of the lower metal heat shields around the catalytic convertor literally rusted off of the car. I remember test driving a 2006 Subaru STi first and then driving the Evo IX, and it was no comparison. Though they look virtually identical on paper, the Evo was clearly the driver’s car. It was a completely over-engineered homologation racecar for the street. It was imbued lovingly by Mitsubishi’s engineers with both balance and poise yet somehow still had a raw, ragged edge, all in a small, quiet, practical sedan body. The Evo has a soul like few cars (and virtually no sedans) possess. And the IX has every bit as much of that soul in it today as the day I drove it home from the Mitsubishi dealership.

That Mitsubishi dealership which I bought my Evo IX at is out now out of business, which is all well and good by me. Mitsubishi has not made any vehicle since 2006 that I would consider buying new.

Andrew
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel L
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1396297150' post='23090129
^One has to wonder about the future of the WRX/STI past this generation. The STI's natural rival has always been the Evo and competition improved the breed greatly. What's the competition now?
I haven't been following STIs since around 2003, how have they improved? Still seems like a 4wd 300HP car.

It really hasn't. This new/current generation is probably the biggest refresh it's had since it came to the US, but much of what is touted (suspension and steering), many enthusiasts fix with their own suspension anyway and will continue to do so. The motor is virtually the same with the only real change is adding an AVCS exhaust cam gear in 2008. The drivetrain and brakes are untouched.

The interior in the new generation is a little more grown up and they've finally started adding LCD/LED displays like everyone else.

With that said, my 2005 STi will not be replaced with another Subaru whenever I decide to sell it. On the plus side of keeping it for awhile longer, the cars are Legos. After lifting a head and wanting to build a block, I just bought a brand new short block from Subaru for $1,700 and some graded drop-in pistons. Sold my 34k OEM short block for $1,000 to someone wanting to make his old 2.0L WRX a 2.5L.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by arsenal
Originally Posted by madkimchi
... but i am going to miss the evo. i was never a big fan of evo but it's just sad to hear this kind of news. i really miss the 90s.
Sting would be another hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that.
Hansel. He's so hot right now. Hansel.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
It really hasn't. This new/current generation is probably the biggest refresh it's had since it came to the US, but much of what is touted (suspension and steering), many enthusiasts fix with their own suspension anyway and will continue to do so.
Correction.... Enthusiasts think they fix their suspension but many times make the car worse. Drive the new STI it handles on rails. Best STi they have made ever. And I've driven some modded stis.

But the old motor and too stiff suspension is what made me decide on getting the wrx for a DD
Old 04-02-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RUINER831
Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1396368322' post='23091540
Originally Posted by madkimchi
... but i am going to miss the evo. i was never a big fan of evo but it's just sad to hear this kind of news. i really miss the 90s.
Sting would be another hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that.
Hansel. He's so hot right now. Hansel.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Yeah they've made great strides in handling, to keep up with the Evo. But such stagnation in the STI's other performance parameters is straight up lazy.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still drool at the site of a clean EVO8/9. The X can look good when lowered fit with properly usefull wheels and tires. not suprised by this news.

I will sadly continue to pass on the EVO's overpriced existence in the used the market. Maybe if I move somewhere needing AWD, and I could trade my 98 M3/4/5 + maybe 3-5G for a well cared for one, I'd take the chance.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by Daniel L' timestamp='1396333138' post='23090897
[quote name='WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1396297150' post='23090129']
^One has to wonder about the future of the WRX/STI past this generation. The STI's natural rival has always been the Evo and competition improved the breed greatly. What's the competition now?
I haven't been following STIs since around 2003, how have they improved? Still seems like a 4wd 300HP car.

It really hasn't. This new/current generation is probably the biggest refresh it's had since it came to the US, but much of what is touted (suspension and steering), many enthusiasts fix with their own suspension anyway and will continue to do so. The motor is virtually the same with the only real change is adding an AVCS exhaust cam gear in 2008. The drivetrain and brakes are untouched.

The interior in the new generation is a little more grown up and they've finally started adding LCD/LED displays like everyone else.

With that said, my 2005 STi will not be replaced with another Subaru whenever I decide to sell it. On the plus side of keeping it for awhile longer, the cars are Legos. After lifting a head and wanting to build a block, I just bought a brand new short block from Subaru for $1,700 and some graded drop-in pistons. Sold my 34k OEM short block for $1,000 to someone wanting to make his old 2.0L WRX a 2.5L.
[/quote]

I love my 05. Maybe one day i will sell it. But i love it as a DD. I am not impressed with the newer models, the steering is way too light. Mine is completely stock, but i just bought a set of used ohlins for it, since I am starting to hear the inevitable rear strut clunk.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Sub is in a totally different situation tho. They can afford to keep the wrx/sti alive bc of the success in their sales. Mitsu is dying
You completely missed the point of what he was saying. He wasn't saying the STi isn't a financially viable platform going forward. He was saying that the competition of the EVO, created a better STi. What will push Subaru to push the envelope now if there isn't another 4wd rally-hybrid turbo-monster sedan competing against it?

Originally Posted by iamxpL
I love my 05. Maybe one day i will sell it. But i love it as a DD. I am not impressed with the newer models, the steering is way too light. Mine is completely stock, but i just bought a set of used ohlins for it, since I am starting to hear the inevitable rear strut clunk.
04/05 were the best gen IMO. Really dug the gold flake in the 04 black.

Quick Reply: Mitsu kills the Evo... finally... :D