Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mitsu kills the Evo... finally... :D

Old 03-31-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I know we like to bitch and moan a lot (too much?) on here about how Honda has abandoned it's sporting pretenses (of the 90s and whatnot). Well I think die hard Mitsubishi fans have it worse...way worse. First the Eclipse is transformed into an overweight FWD pig. Then the Evo's horsepower levels are stagnant for a decade (don't think they ever increased it on models sold in the US). Then the drop the hammer that the Evo is dead.

And finally, state that they will focus in the future on trucks and EVs. For any automaker I would hold dear that's about as bad as it can get.

RIP to the part of Mitsubishi that car enthusiasts ever cared about.

Is this not basically the same thing Honda did? The S2000 had the same power levels for 10 yrs +/- a couple hp and tq. Then they cut it and talked about how efficiency is the future. We see Honda focusing on bland cars with strange power sources like hydrogen and electricity.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Commercial vehicles are more their thing. Mitsubishi has had an odd presence in the US market for a long time. Perhaps they could license or contract manufacture, the Evo guts into something else more exciting by someone else?
mitsu was always pretty big player on commercial vehicles but i am going to miss the evo. i was never a big fan of evo but it's just sad to hear this kind of news. i really miss the 90s.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

horrible news
Old 03-31-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
He said Mitsubishi's strength lies in pickups, crossovers and SUVs.
Who told him that? Well, Asia is a big place I've never been to, so maybe he's right. It was my understanding they were more of a commercial vehicle manufacturer, and their only passenger car that sold in any numbers in the US lately was the EVO. And that largely because of their WRC program.

However the old DSM venture did result in some pretty cool cars, so if they are willing to try that out again the results could be positive. I'm pretty sure “Mitsubishi Motors will explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology” will only result in a program that makes middle managers happy. Well, happy until the sales numbers come back and the program is canceled.

In my travels to south east asia and central america, mitsubishi trucks/suvs are quite common, so this may be a refocus on their bread and butter, not a low sales volume, high warranty liability product.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^One has to wonder about the future of the WRX/STI past this generation. The STI's natural rival has always been the Evo and competition improved the breed greatly. What's the competition now?
I haven't been following STIs since around 2003, how have they improved? Still seems like a 4wd 300HP car.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:39 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Commercial vehicles are more their thing. Mitsubishi has had an odd presence in the US market for a long time. Perhaps they could license or contract manufacture, the Evo guts into something else more exciting by someone else?
Maybe Mitsu will rebadge an STI.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:41 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the first EVO VIII our Mitsu dealer had back in early 2003. It was a great car for the time. and they are easily modified. I had mine for 2 years - about 25k miles with no issues other than I killed the clutch at 17k miles (from abuse, not defective)....

10+ years later they have the same exact performance. they definitely needed to step it up.... same with STI's... they both get killed by lots of cars at a road course and drag strip.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
I had the first EVO VIII our Mitsu dealer had back in early 2003. It was a great car for the time. and they are easily modified. I had mine for 2 years - about 25k miles with no issues other than I killed the clutch at 17k miles (from abuse, not defective)....

10+ years later they have the same exact performance. they definitely needed to step it up.... same with STI's... they both get killed by lots of cars at a road course and drag strip.
Sad to hear the evo is going the way of the dodo. I don't think I would purchase one because it doesn't fit my needs, but it's a solid car/engine, and any disappearing "sports/sporty" cars is sad to see at this point. EVO's are heavy, but they can be very fast around a road course and plenty quick at the drag strip as well. The EVO was the last breath from the DSM crowd, and I have a soft spot for them because they were the cheap/fast imports back in the day, and my brother had a GSX. Personally I'd take an EVO over a WRX anyday.

I hate to break it to folks but I think we're going to start seeing a plateauing of performance (especially in the ~$30k category or so). I mean, how much faster do people expect cars to be? They just keep getting heavier because of safety standards and crap required, and then you have mileage requirements.. There is a ceiling in terms of how much performance a car can have given a certain tire size/weight/etc given a certain budget. The internal combustion engine doesn't have unlimited potential, and people who are constantly expecting faster and faster cars every year for the same dollar just aren't living in reality anymore.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can accept the same HP, but the increase in weight in every new car is unfortunate.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by madkimchi
... but i am going to miss the evo. i was never a big fan of evo but it's just sad to hear this kind of news. i really miss the 90s.
Sting would be another hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that.

Quick Reply: Mitsu kills the Evo... finally... :D