Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mitsu kills the Evo... finally... :D

Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Mitsu kills the Evo... finally... :D

:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014...NEWS/140339976

As Mitsubishi shifts its global lineup toward utility vehicles and electrified cars, it will pull the plug on the Lancer Evolution at the end of the nameplate's current generation.

“Mitsubishi Motors does not have any plans to design a successor with the current concept, as a high-performance four-wheel drive gasoline-powered sedan,” spokeswoman Namie Koketsu said, describing the car as having “icon” status. “Mitsubishi Motors will explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology.”

Dropping the Evo was foreshadowed last fall when President Osamu Masuko unveiled a new mid-term business plan that would deprioritize in-house sedans and explore sourcing them through joint projects with the Renault-Nissan Alliance. He said Mitsubishi's strength lies in pickups, crossovers and SUVs.

The loss of the Evolution shrinks an already small lineup for U.S. dealers, who battle a dearth of fresh offerings, especially in the sedan segment. It also marks a departure for Mitsubishi, which once built a reputation as a purveyor of tech-savvy performance cars such as the Evolution, Eclipse and 3000GT.

Mitsubishi, riding record profits after years of losses, aims to lift global sales 29 percent to 1.43 million vehicles in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2017, from the 1.11 million it expects to have sold in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

We all kind of knew this was coming... shame that it's happening since I think the Evo is a cool car. I suppose we all still have the WRX/STi to choose from
Old 03-31-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

^One has to wonder about the future of the WRX/STI past this generation. The STI's natural rival has always been the Evo and competition improved the breed greatly. What's the competition now?

I know we like to bitch and moan a lot (too much?) on here about how Honda has abandoned it's sporting pretenses (of the 90s and whatnot). Well I think die hard Mitsubishi fans have it worse...way worse. First the Eclipse is transformed into an overweight FWD pig. Then the Evo's horsepower levels are stagnant for a decade (don't think they ever increased it on models sold in the US). Then the drop the hammer that the Evo is dead.

And finally, state that they will focus in the future on trucks and EVs. For any automaker I would hold dear that's about as bad as it can get.

RIP to the part of Mitsubishi that car enthusiasts ever cared about.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

So they want to drop the Evo and take on Tesla? I don't see this ending well.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The writing has been on the wall for this car for a long time.

The thing that really hurt this car, aside from being a Mitsubishi, was the withdrawal from WRC competition. Mind you the new rules kind of forced Mitsubishi's hand.... The competition from motorsport is what made the EVO what it is/was.

I don't think that the WRX/STi will be far behind. They might be safe for a generation or two as Subaru has just released a new model. Beyond that it is up in the air, IMO.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as many are concerned, the Evo died with the IX's. So for those, this is old news already.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:50 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Mitsubishi is going the way of Isuzu - it is a dying make and it is too small to compete on its own. The death of the brand was heralded way back when it decided to put the Eclipse on a truck platform.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:31 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Commercial vehicles are more their thing. Mitsubishi has had an odd presence in the US market for a long time. Perhaps they could license or contract manufacture, the Evo guts into something else more exciting by someone else?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^One has to wonder about the future of the WRX/STI past this generation. The STI's natural rival has always been the Evo and competition improved the breed greatly. What's the competition now?

I know we like to bitch and moan a lot (too much?) on here about how Honda has abandoned it's sporting pretenses (of the 90s and whatnot). Well I think die hard Mitsubishi fans have it worse...way worse. First the Eclipse is transformed into an overweight FWD pig. Then the Evo's horsepower levels are stagnant for a decade (don't think they ever increased it on models sold in the US). Then the drop the hammer that the Evo is dead.

And finally, state that they will focus in the future on trucks and EVs. For any automaker I would hold dear that's about as bad as it can get.

RIP to the part of Mitsubishi that car enthusiasts ever cared about.
Sub is in a totally different situation tho. They can afford to keep the wrx/sti alive bc of the success in their sales. Mitsu is dying
Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He said Mitsubishi's strength lies in pickups, crossovers and SUVs.
Who told him that? Well, Asia is a big place I've never been to, so maybe he's right. It was my understanding they were more of a commercial vehicle manufacturer, and their only passenger car that sold in any numbers in the US lately was the EVO. And that largely because of their WRC program.

However the old DSM venture did result in some pretty cool cars, so if they are willing to try that out again the results could be positive. I'm pretty sure “Mitsubishi Motors will explore the possibilities of high-performance models that incorporate electric vehicle technology” will only result in a program that makes middle managers happy. Well, happy until the sales numbers come back and the program is canceled.

Quick Reply: Mitsu kills the Evo... finally... :D