Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mini Cooper S?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by S2020' timestamp='1377634289' post='22747898
I need to have a reliable car. First and foremost. It's not the cost of repair, it's the time wasted when car breaks down. I absolutely have to have a car that's reliable. Can't take chances as a lot of people depends on my getting to work reliably.
I'd think if I had two cars, reliability would not be as important, since you have another option on hand.

I'd rather be driving something fun all the time than only some of the time.

Discuss.
my fun car I'd rather not drive to work. I'd be a bit nervous having to leave it outside all day.

the Civic Si is plenty fun. A little fun > (a little more fun + letting people down)
Old 09-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Originally Posted by S2020' timestamp='1377634289' post='22747898
I need to have a reliable car. First and foremost. It's not the cost of repair, it's the time wasted when car breaks down. I absolutely have to have a car that's reliable. Can't take chances as a lot of people depends on my getting to work reliably.
I'd think if I had two cars, reliability would not be as important, since you have another option on hand.

I'd rather be driving something fun all the time than only some of the time.

Discuss.
Both of my cars are fun in their own way - with the S2000 obviously getting the nod as the more enjoyable of the two. Even in my previous 2005 Civic, I really didn't mind the lack of a fun factor the majority of the time because so much of the driving is in traffic where you can have 'fun' anyway.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know two people who have owned a Cooper S and BOTH have had serious mechanical problems in the first 3 years of ownership. One of the guys is even on this THIRD engine in the car... something about oil pump failure, then a botched repair job.

Personally I'd probably look for a more reliable car myself. To each their own.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost bought a Cooper S when they first came out, but I don't like buying new designs the first year plus the dealers all had markups. I kept an eye on the forums though and read quite a few problems that were common to owners. I would've gotten one in the following year or 2 when they resolved those initial problems, but I ended up with an RSX-S instead. The Cooper was much more fun to drive though and I liked the low end torque. The RSX-S had a great engine and tranny, just hated the suspension. I drove a coworkers MCS now and then and every time I did, I kept falling in love with the handling. Great little car.
A few years after that, I almost bought an original Austin Mini after testing driving a bunch of variations...from pickup to station wagon, left and right hand drives. But too much exhaust fumes in the cabin.
Like their parents (BMW), they won't be as reliable as a Honda and you'll have a large share of owners with no problems and another large share with problems. As long as you're ok with that, it's an awesome car.