Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mini Cooper S?

Old 08-27-2013, 10:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by d1rtyc4r
Originally Posted by S2020' timestamp='1377623150' post='22747486
I seriously thought about getting one as DD but read way too many stories about unreliability. Decided to get a Civic Si instead. Much more reliable.
lol my high mileage 09 has been worry free, I love it when people skip out on awesome cars because of what they read on the internet, not realising the thousands of other people that report no problems and love their MCS.
I generally have good luck with cars and tend to avoid most of the "usual" problems but my Cooper S had all the usual problems. Multi thermostat failures, coolant leaks, oil leaks from the turbo, blown axle seal. It wasn't reliable, thank goodness it was under warranty. As soon as it was out I ditched it. A friend of mine had an 08 S and it blew the rear main seal and dumped oil all over the ground just driving to work one day, complete engine replacement.

The motor was torquey and fuel efficient but not reliable, stupid Peugeot.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

I seriously thought about getting one as DD but read way too many stories about unreliability. Decided to get a Civic Si instead. Much more reliable.
lol my high mileage 09 has been worry free, I love it when people skip out on awesome cars because of what they read on the internet, not realising the thousands of other people that report no problems and love their MCS.

I already have a fun car, IMO even more fun than MCS.

I need to have a reliable car. First and foremost. It's not the cost of repair, it's the time wasted when car breaks down. I absolutely have to have a car that's reliable. Can't take chances as a lot of people depends on my getting to work reliably.

if I buy a third car, it might be an MCS.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My daily is a mcs. 05. I enjoy driving it daily. I have swift springs koni shocks. Handles absolutely awesome , being a fwd car.
Only drawback is you have to use 91 octane. So even though it gets good mpg gas is pricier. I avg 28/29mpg mostly freeway.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Untensuru
My first thought was, why have have an "impractical" car for a daily on the side, besides the gas mileage...but maybe that's just me talking from a new dad perspective lol. I just think it's funny when people have an S and another small car for a daily...shouldn't you want your daily to be something to stretch your legs in and maybe even have room to move parts/tires in?

I'm sure the MINI is a great car though, I'm just thinking out loud
+1 why get a small car for DD? You already have a fun small car to toss around.

Truth be told its not really about that.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

my girlfriend has one. i love it......always using it for s2000 things

Old 08-29-2013, 04:14 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
I need to have a reliable car. First and foremost. It's not the cost of repair, it's the time wasted when car breaks down. I absolutely have to have a car that's reliable. Can't take chances as a lot of people depends on my getting to work reliably.
I'd think if I had two cars, reliability would not be as important, since you have another option on hand.

I'd rather be driving something fun all the time than only some of the time.

Discuss.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone has different needs/priorities in a DD, no point in questioning just b/c they don't match yours. I think an MCS would make a cool DD.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I'd think if I had two cars, reliability would not be as important, since you have another option on hand.

I'd rather be driving something fun all the time than only some of the time.

Discuss." SakiGt

You hit the nail on the head with your post. I love driving and choose to drive a fun car as much as I can. Maybe some day I will have a car that is utlitarian.... but I doubt it.
Just about every segment has at least one model that is fun to drive.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 AM

I'd want something different for DD. Too similar to the S in terms of great handling, small but comfy and size in general. It doesn't fit THAT much more than the S. I was deciding between the cooper s and the s2000 and I chose the S2000 and haven't looked back since. While the S has much less storage room, the mini isn't that much bigger. If I had a DD, I'd want a truck or something that's more utility such as a FJ SUV, or a WRX, or muscle car if gas wasn't a factor.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:09 PM

OK - this is not "read on the internet", this is real life experience. So far, mine has been in the shop four times over the last two years....first time for failed HPFP, second time for brake pad sensor failure, third time for coolant gate failure, and just this week, my brake pads sensors failed again. Plus the other normal check-ins for oil changes, etc - I've spent a lot of time at the MINI dealer. More than I really want to. I have friends who also have had similar reliability issues. But yeah - very reliable.

I used to have my S as a backup so I wasn't too worried - until the brake sensors went bad on the MINI a week after selling the S. This is making me think about trading in the MINI while it hasn't depreciated too badly....

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper S?