Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Minardi's take on the Indy GP fiasco...

Old 06-24-2005, 04:34 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Jun 23 2005, 04:54 PM
#2- Have you seen my sig? I think the comment in my sig makes my position very clear on Max. He is out of touch and needs to be put out to pasture. Have you seen the recent press about what he said to Danica, the great Indy 500 rookie who happens to be a very cute girl? Well he said to the media about her and then to her on the phone "women should be all dressed in white like all other domestic appliances." Come on, the guy is an ass...
That was Bernie who said that, not Max. Nevertheless both of them have their heads up each other's asses.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidM,Jun 24 2005, 01:54 AM
I don't consider it a stunt. There was a safety issue without a chicane and Michelin owned up to that.

I don't call what Michelin had a 'safely issue'. If was only a problem if they tyres were pushed beyon their limits ... isn't it it the drivers/teams responsiblity to drive within the limits of the tyres, brakes, fule, grip etc?

Just because the Michelin tyres could not take the corner as quickly and for as long as the Bridgestone tyres does not mean crap. Big deal, this is racing - do the best with the equipment/hardware that you've got ... that's what everyone does every other race.

The tyres Michelin tyres were just fine when driven within their limits. Well, drive within the limits ... that's what they all get payed squilions of dollars for. Michelin (and Michelin teams) wanted to drive beyond the limits of the tyres, or to change the track so that the these 'limits' were changed to suit them. IMHO, that's totaly ridiculous. How about next time I'm playing tennis I'll ask my opponent if we can take the net down as that will make me a lot more competitive ;-)
IMO, "the tires' limits" are not defined by their ability to maintain structural integrity, but rather by their ability to grip the road. When the tire's structual integrity fails before it's ability to grip fails, there is a fundamental flaw with the tire, and it is unsafe.

There is a very big difference between an inferior tire (as B's were at beginning of season), and an unsafe tire (as M's were at indy). When your first clue that there is a problem is a rupture in a high-speed corner, that's unsafe. And if I went to Sebring on some new RA-1's, and a Toyo rep told me take it easy in 12 and 16 because the tire might explode without warning... hmmmm, how easy? can you tell me exactly how long or at what speed it will unexpectedly explode?

Michelin could not in clear conscience allow these teams to go out on the track as configured. I agree with them for taking that position. I also now agree that FIA and Ferrari took the correct position for them also. Michelin got caught with their pants down, but it was the fans that got bent over...
Old 06-24-2005, 09:04 AM

My guess is that the Michelin teams are not very happy right now with their tire supplier. I imagine there have been some very interesting phone calls this week.

To make this totally out of control, all we need now is for Bridgestone/Ferrari to get their act together and have MS make a legitimate run for the title, springboarding from the points he earned in North America.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:21 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't understand how Michelin could make a tire that's not tested for greater than the G-loads, heat, weight load etc..

Don't they have labs where they can test tires and what-not?
Old 06-24-2005, 05:29 PM
ttb

Old 06-24-2005, 05:42 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-24-2005, 11:03 PM

it would've been interesting if Bridgestone offered their tires for the other teams...i know it wouldn't work because of configuration and design issues, but it would've been an interesting solution.