Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Miguel Duhamel wins daytona 200

Old 03-10-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miguel Duhamel wins daytona 200

Miguel wins aboard Hondas' RC51 with an average speed of 113.839 mph!
2nd went to Ben Bostrum
3rd Kurtis Roberts, top 3 rode RC51's.
The race was postponed due to the rainy weather Daytona has been suffering thru.
Check the race out, it sets the tone for the season.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:22 PM

duhamel baby! check the avatar.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:03 PM
J.T

Bostrom 2nd? SHouldve been the Bostroms 1 and 2!

oh well...I haven't seen the race yet but thanks for spoiling it for me with the title
Old 03-10-2003, 10:35 PM

It was a great race in the last lap, Duhamel drafting past the other 2 to take the flag. It was just a shame that they played cat and mouse for the last 10 laps with no one keen to lead on the last lap, youve got to feel for the other two as they swapped places a few times over the last 10 laps while Miguel just sat there knowing exactly what he was going to do.

It just seemed to make the other 56 laps a bit pointless, its was a shame the guy on the Susuki ran off as that would have made it a more interesting race.

Being in the UK I've never watched much AMA superbike racing but left work early yesterday to catch this race live, someone please tell me that this is just a symptom of the Daytona track and thats not while I'll be watching all season. I was hoping to see some real competive action as the current World Superbikes are a joke, I just hope that foggy can get the FP1 challenging and the Susuki GSXR gets competitive, without them its going to be a hell of a boring season for the armchair viewer.

Roll on Moto GP, I think were in for an excellent season, I just hope that Honda have not improved the RCV too much so that we have some competive racing.

At the moment it looks like the Supersport is going to be the most competitve class this year unfortunately in the UK this series doesnt get the TV coverage.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:02 AM
pfb

Those slingshot passess out of the chicane are wild!
Old 03-11-2003, 09:55 AM

For our Brittish friend:

Yes, WSB is going to suck this year. Too bad. Went from most exciting to least exciting in one season. Hopefully the factories will have the time and resources to get their 1000cc bikes on track next year.

Daytona is not indicative of how the AMA season will turn out. The track is unusually tilted in favor of horsepower. Pit stops can gum things up and the tire situation is different as well. I have hope that the extra displacement in the Kawasaki will give Eric B enough to keep up with the Hondas. Yoshimura will eventually get their Suzukis right so we may see them step up a bit this season also. Count on Gobert being a factor if his team can keep the Ducati from eating itself.

The 600s are certian to be exciting this year in the USA (as they always are in Europe). With all the new factory bikes and the deep talent it can't miss. Stay tuned.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just curious - what would you consider to be an exciting race? I didn't watch it, but it sounds like any of three riders could have won. Are you suggesting it would have been better if one person had a clear lead the entire time? Thx.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't seen it, but what more could I want? RC51's took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd!!!

The Twins' dominance in Superbike was supposed to be over after AMA and WSB eliminated their displacement advantage, but I guess their not quite ready for the scrap heap yet!
Old 03-11-2003, 10:40 PM

What I was saying was it made the other 56 laps irrelevant, I would have rather seen balls out racing by all 3 guys rather than the cat and mouse they played over the last laps. As I said it was great entertainment in the last lap but did the best rider win or did the best tactition win, definately the latter. I really felt for the other two guys, particuarly bostrom who was a sitting duck and knew it on that last lap, he even said in the post race interview he backed off at one point trying to get one of the others to lead.

I'd rather not see that repeated each week and thats why I was asking if it was simply a result of the track layout at Daytona.

Chris S, do the AMA superbikes have the same restrictions as WSB for the 4 cyc 1000 machines? in WSB it appears that Fiammi (?) who set the rules have allowed them to compete but set the rules as to ensure that the twins still dominate.

Its cynical but theres been a lot of press suggesting Fiammi are making the rules to suit Ducati, both are Italian at the end of the day and WSB is now unhealthily dominated by Ducati.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B]Just curious - what would you consider to be an exciting race?

Quick Reply: Miguel Duhamel wins daytona 200