Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Miata vs Lotus

Old 08-11-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samerthehammer,Aug 11 2009, 06:22 PM
there was a yellow flag being waved but it so far off to the right that was hard to see. man i hope no one was seriously injured in this. chills went down my spine...
Sure it's not right up against the track and that makes it more work to try spotting it, but it's the drivers job to check the flag stations going around the track. Those guys are your lifeline, as demonstrated in this video. Not checking the flagger cost the Miata driver dearly.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never seen anything like that in closed course racing, it's like an episode from one of those crash video shows. Freak accident, amazing both survived.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

That was ####ing insane. Call me a pussy, but if I was the guy in the camera car I would not have kept cruising after seeing something like that.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 229 Likes on 162 Posts

What would you have done? Stopped, gotten out, and gotten run over?

In a fully prepped race car, your best bet is to keep moving, get out of the way, and let the SAFETY officials figure out the best course of action. All the drivers can do is obey their signals and wait it out.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Aug 11 2009, 07:05 PM
He would've gotten out, lied down on the track, and done a "cement angel".
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 PM

I was about to say the same - you witness a crash like THAT, at close range, and then hit the throttle and keep truckin'? This ain't NASCAR...
Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 PM

That Miata driver was negligent. Even in that shitty video I saw that Lotus drive WAY off in the distance, the Miata was WAY off apex and almost looked like he tried to hit the thing. Horrible driving.

Simply proves that you should be looking through the turn instead of the road in front of you.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 229 Likes on 162 Posts

The Miata driver was right on the tail of the guy in front of him. The guy ahead of him swerved and he stayed on his line. Nothing negligent about it. Racing that close, you're busy trying not to hit what's right in front of you.

Try racing some time (for real). It's a lot different than even a really competitive driving event. When you're glued on someone's bumper, you can't really see anything ahead of you unless you get out from behind them.

Not saying he shouldn't still be looking around, only that a car is usually not in the middle of the straight and you'd be hard pressed to pick it up in his positoin. If anything, I would say the guy in front of the pack should have moved over sooner to make sure everyone dodged the Lotus...
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Aug 11 2009, 07:05 PM

In a fully prepped race car, your best bet is to keep moving, get out of the way, and let the SAFETY officials figure out the best course of action. All the drivers can do is obey their signals and wait it out.
Not exactly. I would have gotten out, had a couple of coffee, banged your mother, and then done donuts.

I'm talking about exiting the track brainiac.

Seriously, I would have discontinued racing until I knew what the heck just happened.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy,Aug 11 2009, 07:31 PM
The Miata driver was right on the tail of the guy in front of him. The guy ahead of him swerved and he stayed on his line. Nothing negligent about it. Racing that close, you're busy trying not to hit what's right in front of you.

Try racing some time (for real). It's a lot different than even a really competitive driving event. When you're glued on someone's bumper, you can't really see anything ahead of you unless you get out from behind them.

Not saying he shouldn't still be looking around, only that a car is usually not in the middle of the straight and you'd be hard pressed to pick it up in his positoin. If anything, I would say the guy in front of the pack should have moved over sooner to make sure everyone dodged the Lotus...
This.

That Lotus was hard to miss.

Quick Reply: Miata vs Lotus