Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

McLaren P12

Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k007
Just waiting for the specs on this thing. I have a feeling we'll have a new nurburgring production car record.
I also can't wait to see the specs! A new Nurburgring production car record would be refreshing!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari812
Originally Posted by S2k007' timestamp='1347996544' post='22021072
Just waiting for the specs on this thing. I have a feeling we'll have a new nurburgring production car record.
I also can't wait to see the specs! A new Nurburgring production car record would be refreshing!
I'd be very surprised if that isn't a primary objective that was handed to the design team.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

McLaren sucks balls at naming vehicles
Old 09-18-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by S2k007
I would guess there will be a couple of production cars under 7:00 mins in the not-so-distant future. I would imagine this will be one of them.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Interested to see how it compares to the upcoming Porsche 918. 700+ hp combined from a 580 hp gas engine + two 109 hp electric motors, weight around 3100 lbs and instant torque at any time...plus an option for full torque vectoring using the front wheels and electric motors, I imagine.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Interested to see how it compares to the upcoming Porsche 918. 700+ hp combined from a 580 hp gas engine + two 109 hp electric motors, weight around 3100 lbs and instant torque at any time...plus an option for full torque vectoring using the front wheels and electric motors, I imagine.
Based on specs alone the mclaren would destroy it, imo on a fast track.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:40 PM

It looks crazy. I like the shape and the way the rear fenders stand out, but the front end looks too extreme with the exposed CF and cuts in the headlights. The rear end is also pretty wild. I didn't think the MP4-12C wasn't flashy enough, but this car is over the top.

I'm sure it will win a lot of performance test, but I don't think it will win any beauty contest. I wouldn't say its ugly though, just too wild for my taste.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:56 PM

This is the definition of beautiful to me. Every design decision has a purpose. The front end channels air into those ducts below the headlights. The rear arches channel air over the pop up spoiler. The way the rear end retracts a bit should actually function as a spoiler, reducing drag. It looks like it has full underbody aerodynamics. Look at how big the front windshield is! It's going to have amazing visibility just like its predecessor. When I look at the car I can't see any line that wasn't put there without a reason, and that's why I want it.

They've got to make it faster than the F1, so I'm betting around 750hp with a sub 2800lb curb weight. Who knows how they'll go about doing it, but based on recent comments I'm guessing a twin turbo V8 not dissimilar to the MP4-12C. I'd love for a V12, but they don't seem to like them any more. We might even see KERS to bring the total output over 800hp.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM

The rumor is 930hp+ with the kers system and 26XXlbs.
We had previously heard that the P12 would have a modified version of the MP4-12C's 3.8 liter V8 combined with KERS to put out around 1,000 horsepower. Sounds like those earlier rumors were close, as the P12 is purported to have 803 horsepower at a stratospheric 9,100 RPM. And it will have KERS, which is good for 160 additional horsepower at the push of a button.

Boom. 963 Horsepower.

And curbweight is supposedly under 2,700 pounds. That's gonna make for one damn good power to weight ratio. A Veyron carries 4 pounds per horsepower. The P12 will carry just 2.81. Jiminy jillikers Radioactive Man!

But for some reason, the possible acceleration numbers are a little disappointing... at first. A 0-60 run will take 2.8 seconds, which is Nissan GT-R territory. But the quarter mile will supposedly go by in just 9.1 seconds at a speed of 161 MPH. Top speed is reported to be 239 MPH, which isn't too shabby, but isn't really world beating either. But in the scheme of things, top speed is just bragging rights.

The overall package is what matters. And boy oh boy does the P12 do handling.

Like the Pagani Huayra, the P12 is supposed to have active aerodynamics and can generate 2Gs of force in the corners on street tires. There are also unconfirmed reports that it shattered the record for a street car around England's Silverstone Circuit by 24 seconds. Not 0.24 seconds. Not 2.4 seconds. But 24 whole, entire seconds.
This kind of crap from supposed automotive journalists irks me to no end:
But for some reason, the possible acceleration numbers are a little disappointing... at first. A 0-60 run will take 2.8 seconds, which is Nissan GT-R territory.
it's called traction limited (street tires and rear wheel drive) idiots...
Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by tarheel91
This is the definition of beautiful to me. Every design decision has a purpose. The front end channels air into those ducts below the headlights. The rear arches channel air over the pop up spoiler. The way the rear end retracts a bit should actually function as a spoiler, reducing drag. It looks like it has full underbody aerodynamics. Look at how big the front windshield is! It's going to have amazing visibility just like its predecessor. When I look at the car I can't see any line that wasn't put there without a reason, and that's why I want it.

They've got to make it faster than the F1, so I'm betting around 750hp with a sub 2800lb curb weight. Who knows how they'll go about doing it, but based on recent comments I'm guessing a twin turbo V8 not dissimilar to the MP4-12C. I'd love for a V12, but they don't seem to like them any more. We might even see KERS to bring the total output over 800hp.
I don't see it looking as purposeful as the F1. It looks like much of it is super swoop to be super swoop. The large black area at the back of the car looks like the had to add detail just to hide the large black area.
Two decades (!) later and I still see this as the peak of modern ultra high performance styling. Very modern, very purposeful, no goofy.

Quick Reply: McLaren P12