Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Mazdaspeed3 or Mazdaspeed6 or STI?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdizzle,May 22 2009, 10:47 AM
Actually the flat 6's in Porsche's sound NOTHING like Subaru's 4 cylinders. Might be because of the unequal length headers employed on the USDM Subaru's because from what I understand the JDM Spec one sounds like any other for banger.

And yes they sound like disgusting lawn mowers. Don't compare it to a Porsche.

I swear, I heard one flying down my street Sunday morning and thought someone was up early mowing their lawn.
I really think you need your ears checked. Lawnmowers are singles and most are dated two strokes. For comparison sake, I have a Honda 4 stroke mower that I use to mow my chit every week. It sounds nothing like my boxer engine. Here is a youtube on the STi, doesn't sound like any mower I've ever heard. r.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrntkDYylo [/media] (the upper RPM pulls sound sick)

The Japanese STi's couldn't sound like every other 4 banger, because they don't have an inline 4 engine. And I'll compare it to whatever the feck I feel like
Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LoL, and I'll say a car sounds like whatever I think it sounds like. Don't get all but hurt in defending your car.

I'm not gonna youtube a lawnmower for comparison sake, I'll let you handle that.

EDIT: And here's a JDM STi:[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa25PrkUgec [/media]

Sounds like a regular 4 cylinder IMO with a tiny hint of boxer'ness. Directly compare it to the one you posted above.

I'm not getting into a sound war with an owner of an STi/WRX so take my opinion for what it is and dry your tears please.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try this:[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8pLhDubOQ [/media]
Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito,May 22 2009, 02:51 PM
I really think you need your ears checked. Lawnmowers are singles and most are dated two strokes.
That's odd, I've NEVER seen a 2 stroke lawn mower! Weedeaters/chainsaws, yes, but not lawnmowers. Seriously, who mixes gas and oil for their lawnmower?

BTW, I happily ride a 2 stroke dirtbike, and sold an otherwise near identical 4 stroke one b/c I preferred the "dated" engine.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by budgy,May 21 2009, 09:39 AM
i love my MS3, seems like most people have no clue what it is. I just have 3 simple bolt on's SRI, upgraded TMIC, and a test pipe...so for less than a $1000 in mods and I pull away from 335i's (with cargo in the back of my car), new Genesis Coupes, Mustang GT's, lots of cars that are not expecting it.

Stock shifter isn't the worst, but with the TWM SS its pretty good. The shifting and overall solidity of the car is much improved with a stiffer rear engine mount, a $140 part completely changes the car, makes it much better to shift.

I've never had a problem with the floaty feeling since I installed coilovers the first day I had the car. But I will admit the car is a pretty rough ride with them. I also never found the torque steer to be too crazy except you have to be smart or it can catch you off guard. Don't get WOT until you are getting closer to centre with the steering wheel, if the boost kicks in full while taking a corner aggressively you will either understeer a LOT or you will simply be pulled hard to one side and smash into a wall if you don't know what you are doing.
same here, was debating trading my car in for an s2k since i wanted a convertible
could not live with no torque, i know the s2k is faster than the ms3 but it just doesnt feel faster, plus i need room for golf clubs rofl

only mods i have are an hks ssqv, cobb sri and turbo inle, and trz motor mount.
pulls like crazy, torque steer isn't to bad once you get used to it.

i think there's quite a few stock ms3's hitting high 13's stock. so with the mods we're probably a tick behind sti/evos. i know from a roll the ms3 can pull on sti/evos.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

The guy is looking to spend less than $20K on a car and you guys kept suggesting a new WRX or STI? Between the 3 and 6, I'd go with the 6 myself because of the AWD and I find it much better-looking.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by stageup,May 24 2009, 06:26 AM
same here, was debating trading my car in for an s2k since i wanted a convertible
could not live with no torque, i know the s2k is faster than the ms3 but it just doesnt feel faster, plus i need room for golf clubs rofl

only mods i have are an hks ssqv, cobb sri and turbo inle, and trz motor mount.
pulls like crazy, torque steer isn't to bad once you get used to it.

i think there's quite a few stock ms3's hitting high 13's stock. so with the mods we're probably a tick behind sti/evos. i know from a roll the ms3 can pull on sti/evos.
I find that very hard to believe. Moot point i guess since im not stock but still.

Are you having any heat soak issues?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:55 AM

From the dynos I've seen, the Evo X puts down between 190 and 240 to the wheels stock depending if it is a MR or GSR. A stock MS3 usually puts down between 220 and 240whp and weighs 350 less. So yes from a roll and both cars being stock I can see a MS3 pulling on a Evo X.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM

EVO!

I love my evo. Pick up a VIII for 15-20k
Old 05-25-2009, 02:38 PM

Finding a unmolested low mileage EVO for less than $20k is not easy. Having driven every car discussed here on a race track I can say without doubt the EVO is my favorite under $20k. I went with the MS3 because of cost as I found my '07 MS3 GT with 13k miles for only $16,700 which was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Quick Reply: Mazdaspeed3 or Mazdaspeed6 or STI?